Miami Dolphins cap management: How Chris Grier could clear space: | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins cap management: How Chris Grier could clear space:

With so few picks he has to be careful, though.

Moving back a few spots can be fine if you get your target player anyway, or have multiple targets who graded virtually equal.

On the other hand, moving back also decreases the likelihood of getting an immediate impact player overall. Not that it can't happen, just that the "odds" are against, particularly when player evaluations haven't exactly been our strong suit, historically.

I get that many like having a boatload of picks. It makes the draft a lot more interesting. Just not sure you come out ahead unless you are trading for future picks, which doesn't help us next year.

Grier is a good wheeler dealer though. He might come up with a move that works out.
Nice post brother. We may have to stay pat and the team really do there homework to improve positions on this team. I think we will have to do our homework on UDFA's this year especially to see if we can find some help there as well. :ffic:

I don't see a world where we don't trade down given the turnover we're about to face.

It obviously takes 2 to tango & if there are no takers, it's a situation beyond our control.

But it's difficult for me to read suggestions of drafting anything other than OL early & often. I imagine those of you suggesting a DB or DL/rusher don't buy into Tua being around much longer or even at all.

Here we sit with a QB many have slated to have trouble with pressure, making 2nd reads, & making plays with his feet; a QB proven to be a pro bowler if he can throw from the pocket and we're not interested in upgrading the OL?

If I could have it my way, & only ever get it my way at Burger King, I trade down & take OL round 1 & 2.
A lot depends on what happens in free agency too. If Miami is able to keep Hunt and Williams on the offensive line, then the team is looking at a LG upgrade and LT. That could, conceivably, be one player who can play both positions.

Armstead is talking retirement, but my best guess is he returns for one more season. So, maybe the Dolphins draft a versatile lineman who can play LG and then eventually replace Armstead???

Now, if Miami loses Williams or Hunt, both those early picks probably have to go to the offensive line.

As far as a trade down, there are some quarterbacks who I can see teams wanting to deal up for. So, that helps Miami.

If the team can trade down a couple of times, maybe they can recoup a 3rd and 4th and pick at the end of the 1st, or early 2nd.

I don’t know how Crossen got such a big contract for a low impact player.

Anyhow, I’m not bringing R Davis back because I don’t think he’s good. The drop off from him to guys like Hand and Pili and “fill in the blanks w any big cheap big guy” isn’t worth it. I know he was a 2nd rounder and has remained pretty healthy - just can’t see awarding him a second contract given our cap needs. Agree Mike White isn’t needed at that salary.

I don’t know how Crossen got such a big contract for a low impact player.

Anyhow, I’m not bringing R Davis back because I don’t think he’s good. The drop off from him to guys like Hand and Pili and “fill in the blanks w any big cheap big guy” isn’t worth it. I know he was a 2nd rounder and has remained pretty healthy - just can’t see awarding him a second contract given our cap needs. Agree Mike White isn’t needed at that salary.
Makes you wonder about Jeff Wilson at RB as well as how little they used him at the end of the year.

Well, Cam Smith is unfortunately an unknown. Kohou is better suited for the slot. Corner is an area where you've got to be strong to compete.

Miami has a lot of needs. It's going to be difficult. If Grier can trade down a couple of times maybe the Dolphins can add a 3rd and 4th rounder, or something along those lines.
I don’t care. Smith has to be the guy and if he isn’t? Investing another high CB pick is atrocious.

I don’t care. Smith has to be the guy and if he isn’t? Investing another high CB pick is atrocious.
I hope he's the guy. That would make free agency and the draft a lot easier.

If he's not, and he's all you've got, that could kill the defense.

The most important and unfortunate part of the offseason is allowing Wilkins and Hunt to test free agency. Release Jeff Wilson Jr. and Ogbah. At that point, make any other moves required to get under the cap.

The most important and unfortunate part of the offseason is allowing Wilkins and Hunt to test free agency. Release Jeff Wilson Jr. and Ogbah. At that point, make any other moves required to get under the cap.
Add AVG,C Williams,Baker,Wynn,Elliot,Davis,Lamm,Jones...and many more

Hit that link again and scroll down to this.......

Miami Dolphins cap management: How Chris Grier could clear space​

The the title was about the cap situation and not the draft article.

What am I missing? The link is to a mock draft article. I absolutely hate the format that site employs with the "next, next, next" and a million ads approach.

Have some consistency and integrity FFS.

Hit that link again and scroll down to this.......

Miami Dolphins cap management: How Chris Grier could clear space​

The the title was about the cap situation and not the draft article.

Didnt notice the link went to the lead off article.

I'm hoping the team trades down, but if they stay put, I like the ol options in the first and the dl options in round 2

Lb, Dt, or edge in first round. Center in second please

I think the big advantage to signing Tua long-term is the ability to free up salary cap space.

Hopefully, Wilkins, Van Ginkel and Hunt return.

Back
Top Bottom