Miami Dolphins Must Get Proactive Before It's Too Late | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Must Get Proactive Before It's Too Late

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
maxresdefault-5_orig.jpg

How Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard is still somehow unrecognized around the league as a top NFL corner is a mystery. Even with the elephant in the room that he plays for Miami (which somehow immediately removes any possible recognition he deserves), he's accomplished something practically unheard of: Howard has three games this season alone where he's caught two or more interceptions in a game (OAK, IND, BUF).

That's not even counting the two games he had last season where he caught two against the Denver Broncos and two against the New England Patriots...yes, that means Tom Brady.

“I’m the best corner in the league,” Howard declared after the game. “Look at my stats. There’s no doubt. Just watch the stats and watch my game.”

The stats are impossible to ignore.

https://www.phinmaniacs.com/news/miami-dolphins-must-get-proactive-before-its-too-late

I dont like how vain he comes off but he does have a point. He does seem like one of the best corners in the league.

And he is definitely the best cb we have had since I have been a fan... Madison and Surtain included.

Not clicking the link but based on your headline the front office did try to resign him already... in VIP there was insider discussion that they offered him a 4year/40+mil extension that got turned down... valiant effort by the FO but we're gonna have to break the bank for him next year.

love the guy hope we can keep him but i wouldnt be talking too much ****. he got smoked twice for TDs on sunday and allen threw uncatchable balls.

I think the expectations for a “shut down” corner are more diluted now than they used to be. QB’s throw far fewer picks than they used to and there’s guys running wide open down the field in every game every week because no one can touch them. So I’m not stressed when he gets beat because he makes it up with turnovers, which is gold these days when defenses don’t force three and outs anymore. But he’s on a team that doesn’t score points so his big plays turn into just window dressing a lot of weeks. For now, I’d bet against him being resigned because he has all the cards and can hold the front office hostage as long as he wants. I doubt his play drops off precipitously, and if it does a little he’s still very expensive. If there’s a major regime change brewing that actually values offensive touchdowns then that’s where the money, present and future will go.

love the guy hope we can keep him but i wouldnt be talking too much ****. he got smoked twice for TDs on sunday and allen threw uncatchable balls.

Howard reminds me of a cornerback version of Adam Gase. Just like Gase wins more games than his overall play calling seems to suggest, Howard manages many more interceptions than his cover ability seems to suggest.

He does get beat a lot more frequently than Dolphins fans are willing to acknowledge. So far he's been fortunate with the errant throws, like Tannehill with the dropped interceptions.

Major candidate to have wild swings in reputation if he signs a fat contract. Some seasons and stretches of games will still feature those interceptions, but if he has a cold spell there, simultaneous with accuracy when he's beaten, lots of whining about the contract and whether it got to his head.

Big picture we need to sign him and hope the interceptions continue. As Kdawg posted, the salary mistakes are paying high dollar to moderately talented free agents and then wondering what went wrong.

I think his contact number will be more along the line of 4 years for $60 million. The real question is... are we willing to keep him as the most expensive CB in the league at $15 million per year?

He is worth it in my opinion but I doubt a new regime thinks that... or maybe even Gase and Co.

Howard reminds me of a cornerback version of Adam Gase. Just like Gase wins more games than his overall play calling seems to suggest, Howard manages many more interceptions than his cover ability seems to suggest.

He does get beat a lot more frequently than Dolphins fans are willing to acknowledge. So far he's been fortunate with the errant throws, like Tannehill with the dropped interceptions.

Major candidate to have wild swings in reputation if he signs a fat contract. Some seasons and stretches of games will still feature those interceptions, but if he has a cold spell there, simultaneous with accuracy when he's beaten, lots of whining about the contract and whether it got to his head.

Big picture we need to sign him and hope the interceptions continue. As Kdawg posted, the salary mistakes are paying high dollar to moderately talented free agents and then wondering what went wrong.

Sounds like someone is a "happy adjuster"...

Not clicking the link but based on your headline the front office did try to resign him already... in VIP there was insider discussion that they offered him a 4year/40+mil extension that got turned down... valiant effort by the FO but we're gonna have to break the bank for him next year.

4 and 40 plus when? This year?

Lmao

I can see how this turns out. He will play next year under contract and get tagged the following year or maybe 2 as he sees guys like Branch and Kiko getting extensions. And then we lose him to FA. I don't expect any different

Uhhh...He isnt eligible to negotiate a 2nd contract until after this season per NFL rules

Back
Top Bottom