Miami Dolphins name Mike McDaniel as Head Coach | Page 60 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins name Mike McDaniel as Head Coach

I can’t wrap my head around the fact that we have an offense with a ton of pre-snap motion….and the play-calling head coach can’t get a play in with enough time to allow the motion to happen.
It's interesting....I charted this out a bit this morning for my own purposes regarding penalties.

In the first 4 games, with mostly our regular starters on the field, we averaged 5 penalties a game.

In the 2nd 4 games, with Tua out and the back up QB's in there, along with injuries starting to hit on defense, we average 8.25 per game

In the 3rd 4 games, with Tua back and him on the field, we went back to averaging 5 per game.

In the final 5 games, it really blew up. Defensive penalties in particular were way up but the offense wasn't far behind

It seemed by looking at it game by game, that when our original starters were on the field, we had the lowest amount of penalties by far. As injuries happened and more and more backups played, you could clearly see the impact on the penalty numbers.

Not sure how I am interpreting yet, as I'm going to break down offense vs. defense to take a deeper look, but I do suspect that injuries hurt us in many more ways than we realize

Penalties obviously are most often caused by mental mistakes with the effects usually a loss of momentum due to lower probability of next play success.

Generally, root causes of football mental mistakes are discipline-related: lack of situational awareness, poor game week preparation, and/or fatigue.

If Miami is to improve, they will need to study these areas more to determine why these issues occurred.

I would ask QC coaches for video of every penalty on the season to determine what was the situation, who was involved, and where was the breakdown. From there, I would work to resolve based on what was learned.

Penalties obviously are most often caused by mental mistakes with the effects usually a loss of momentum due to lower probability of next play success.

Generally, root causes of football mental mistakes are discipline-related: lack of situational awareness, poor game week preparation, and/or fatigue.

If Miami is to improve, they will need to study these areas more to determine why these issues occurred.

I would ask QC coaches for video of every penalty on the season to determine what was the situation, who was involved, and where was the breakdown. From there, I would work to resolve based on what was learned.
Well said. And this is the double edged sword of the “players coach”. They are often wonderful at relating to their troops but they also have sloppy teams. I think the Seahawks won a SB w a sloppy team and it does happen but not that often. Having said that, 5 per game w the starters is manageable.

I never saw them?? I'm 47 and such an avid sports fan, that I got a degree in sports management lofl.

Dick Vermeil's players loved him, and fought for him. There's a reason he's a HOF coach. Your comment is absurd.

I also agree that MM has the locker room. Where have I stated he doesn't?

This offseason is very exciting due to the fight and will of our team on the field yesterday. The entire league saw it. It's the 1st time in 25 years I've been proud of their playoff loss in the way they battled together. Miami is trending up and its still a destination city.
Dont know why your cryin' but vermeil is one of my all time fav coaches. I was just saying he was not a knuckle dragging, barking orders coach. He was a soft spoken, emotional guy who WON.

Dont know why your cryin' but vermeil is one of my all time fav coaches. I was just saying he was not a knuckle dragging, barking orders coach. He was a soft spoken, emotional guy who WON.

You got the wrong guy, buddy, if you think I'm crying, lol.

It came across in your post that you were being negative towards his emotional being.

Back
Top Bottom