Miami Dolphins Scheme Changes Will Be Challenging Says Grier | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Scheme Changes Will Be Challenging Says Grier

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
When the Miami Dolphins made the play for Brian Flores they did so with the hopes of turning their horrible defense into something special. The rub is that in New England the Patriots ran a variety of defensive schemes that were based out of a 3-4. The Dolphins do not have the pieces for a 3-4.

At defensive end, Andre Branch and Robert Quinn do not fit the 3-4 outside linebacker type while Cameron Wake and Charles Harris do. Miami has two good tackles in Vincent Taylor and Davon Godchaux but neither can play as a nose tackle and it is uncertain if they can slide outside.

This is only one challenge that these changes will bring and Dolphins GM Chris Grier spoke about those on Monday.

– “It’ll be different. It is. It’s a little bit of a challenge because you are always looking for different pieces and parts there. I think the way the NFL is now, a lot of teams bounce back and forth between a 3-4, whether it’s Under or Over (formations). It’ll be a little bit of a project, I guess like you said, in terms of finding those pieces. There are some pieces here. (Flores) said he liked some of our pieces obviously going against us a couple of years, especially some of the offensive pieces he liked a lot. But it will be a process, as he’s talked about.” MiamiDolphins.com

https://phinphanatic.com/2019/02/05/miami-dolphins-scheme-changes-will-challenging-says-grier/

What determines if Godx and Taylor can play outside in a 3-4? And why can't Taylor play the NT? He def has the weight for it. Wow it would suck if these solid young guys are shipped cause they can't play in a new scheme. So dolphins

What determines if Godx and Taylor can play outside in a 3-4? And why can't Taylor play the NT? He def has the weight for it. Wow it would suck if these solid young guys are shipped cause they can't play in a new scheme. So dolphins
imo Godchaux has a better skill set and Body for the 0 tech than Taylor, Taylor is lighter and more active in the gaps, better player imo.

guess we should be looking for versatile edge players and perhaps our Vince Wilfork type.

Zach Allen, 3-4 DE Boston College

Great versatile player at a position of desperate need and the BC connection.

Might not make it out of the top 10 by the time the draft rolls around though.

Zach Allen, 3-4 DE Boston College

Great versatile player at a position of desperate need and the BC connection.

Might not make it out of the top 10 by the time the draft rolls around though.

I can guarantee you with every penny that I have ever acquired, and every single future penny that I will acquire, that Zach Allen will not be a top 10 pick in the NFL draft.

Need good edge rushers and even better linebackers than what’s on this team to run a 3-4. This is going to be a defensive heavy draft. I likey. :up:

Last edited:
I don't think we'll run a 3-4 on every single down like we did 10 years ago. Flores will switch things up. As far as the players we'll need, we'd need at least 6 new D-line players and at least 6 or 7 new LB's. That is including back ups of course. The main thing here of course is finding the NT and at least one but really two edge players that can rush the QB. Like the article said, we have this off season to start getting those players and the 2020 off season to get the rest of them.

This news bumps Rashan Gary imo

They need to get bigger on the edges and more physical at the poa plus have some more versatility on the interior in packages.

I think Gary gives them that.

Flores said in his intro presser that he wants to get more physical you never know how much of that is coachspeak that doesn’t carry over to the roster or even mindset but thats one thing Gary gives you seperate from some versatility for different front usage.

In New England they have big lbs guys who can rush off the edge and even rush vs tackles Miami needs to get more stout there too. But it’s probably not gonna be a focus for 19 with all the other needs this team has to play different fronts.

A later round guy that could fit is the kid Nelson from Iowa. He looks like a multiple fronts type fit and probably can be had late in day 2. He’s undervalued imo right now.

Zach Allen another option but outside of hand use he’s highly power player which is fine it’s just probably gonna cost you a top 50ish pick.

New England got their “nose” for peanuts in Danny Shelton. I wouldn’t invest high draft capitol in it.

Worst case you could have godchaux for the ask but it’s not an ideal fit. He’s a shed type penetrator who is also oxe strong.

Need another piece or two for the rotation

Last edited:
I can guarantee you with every penny that I have ever acquired, and every single future penny that I will acquire, that Zach Allen will not be a top 10 pick in the NFL draft.
I watched him in the Senior Bowl practices...I'm doubtful about even round 1.

Back
Top Bottom