Miami Dolphins select OT Billy Turner | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins select OT Billy Turner

One thing I noticed. All three of the players we've picked were team captains.

From what I can tell, all three are well spoken, high character guys who come from strongly supportive families. You think maybe there's a trend there?

wasnt this true of the Odrick draft?

[video=youtube;mDLFElGFtGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLFElGFtGc[/video]

sweet, now i can wear my Patrick turner jersey out in public

wasnt this true of the Odrick draft?

I'm not saying this is a good or bad draft strategy, just saying that I think it is interesting. Hickey even went as far as suggesting that it was, indeed, an intentional thing.

The whole emphasis on playmakers is overblown, fix the oline and naturally the offense will produce better which equals more points.

Never thought I would have to say that out loud..

Hold up. You mean we can't line up with a QB, 5 WR, 3 TE, and 2 RB all on the field at once? But that's contrary to my FinHeaven education which has taught me only draft playmakers with every single pick. After all, I've read many times on this site how only players that score touchdowns are worth drafting.

One thing I noticed. All three of the players we've picked were team captains.

From what I can tell, all three are well spoken, high character guys who come from strongly supportive families. You think maybe there's a trend there?

Supposedly Hickey has a preference for high character players.

Should be a left guard. Explosive, active feet. An absolute natural at getting to the 2nd level, sometimes getting there so early he has to wait on linebackers or safeties (partly a function of the competition, no doubt). The downside is having sort of a weird, top heavy body for a lineman, as well as some inconsistencies and occasional false steps. He's going to have to learn to bend better and work on his lower body strength. Fortunately for him he's naturally powerful.

Did I mention explosive feet? Take a look at 4:58.

[video=youtube;m80cmI7X_vU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m80cmI7X_vU[/video]

Some speed also in evidence at 8:07.

By no means a terrible pick. But with borderline first round talents like Gabe Jackson, Louis Nix, and Marcus Martin on the board, you'll have a hard time selling me on a FCS versatile career backup.

He will start over Dallas Thomas, but is not a long term answer at guard.

I agree with you. This was a disappointing pick. We got cute and took a swing that more often than not won't return full value. I was sick when we passed up guys like Christian Kirksey and Marcus Martin. Jackson and Nix would have been solid choices also.

I watched Turner carefully in the Senior Bowl practices and game. He was a turnstile early in the week. The coaches were literally screaming at him. I posted that link a couple of weeks ago. Granted, he was being tried at right tackle after playing left tackle most of his career. But the basics didn't change. His hair was flying in the air while the defenders flew past him with minimal interruption. He's simply not the caliber of athlete of Terron Armstead, who went roughly 10 spots lower last year.

It's scary to think of Turner as a potential starter this season. If so, I predict he'll be the subject of fan ire on this board, the 2014 version of Michael Egnew or Dallas Thomas. Not quite that bad, but simply not ready and not special.

At least it wasn't Morgan Moses. That's the best part about the Turner selection, IMO, that we dodged a mediocrity like Morgan Moses. I have no idea how he was hyped toward the first round in recent months. It was great that Bill Polian spotlighted Moses' weaknesses on ESPN tonight, that he's not a top athlete, plays too high and is a waist bender.

I must say I was shocked at how high Brandon Linder went.

It's scary to think of Turner as a potential starter this season. If so, I predict he'll be the subject of fan ire on this board, the 2014 version of Michael Egnew or Dallas Thomas. Not quite that bad, but simply not ready and not special.

Thats pretty bad.. I dont remember seeing a lineman look as bad as Dallas Thomas in awhile..
Though i was not scouting in Vegas in the 60s

I like that we doubled up with lineman. Not only did we pick up Albert and Shelly in FA but we draft two. Plus we also have Dallas Thomas from last year who i expect to've made huge steps and push for a starting job. Hopefully we revitalised our line now. People need to remember that, if it wasn't for our line we're probably a play off team last season. I'd like to see us pick up a linebacker and possibly a tight end today and then build some more depth.

Back
Top Bottom