Miami Dolphins select OT Billy Turner | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins select OT Billy Turner

Solid pick for me, lower than he was projected to go. Gabe Jackson is an absolutely horrible fit for us and suffers from the same lack of energy and awareness as Moses. We missed CJ Died by a couple of picks, which is a shame but this was a decent call.

Supposedly Hickey has a preference for high character players.
And so he should. Jeff Ireland had an apparent penchant for giving opportunities to players with mental health issues (eg Brandon Marshall, Richie Incognito, Jonathan Martin, Davone Bess, etc). We should not be afraid to clean up the joint with more high character players.
Behind what we see on the field, this is also about getting the right culture in the locker room. After the litany of disturbing texts were revealed in Bullygate, the culture of our locker room needs to improve. Please be open to Dennis and Joe giving some high character guys a go.

It's scary to think of Turner as a potential starter this season. If so, I predict he'll be the subject of fan ire on this board, the 2014 version of Michael Egnew or Dallas Thomas. Not quite that bad, but simply not ready and not special.

Hickey has 18 years of professional NFL evaluation experience behind him. He hasn't rushed to a decision. He and his team have probably spent hours evaluating Billy Turner and said, yes, this is a player we want to invest a 3rd round Draft pick in. Not wishing to sound too derogatory, you have probably seen a few videoclips from North Dakota State Bisons and the Senior Bowl practice and determined that he's a turnstile - ie he's a bust.
OK, you correctly flag some concerns but please be open to the possibility that you are wrong. He's pretty raw but when I see a former Super Bowl winning O-line Coach, Howard Mudd getting enthusiastic about Billy Turner in the video called "Driven", I'm more interested.
I don't have a problem with Turner being a development prospect who may take a little longer to come good. He and Ja'Wuan James fit the ZBS that Joe wants to fully implement. We have wasted 2 years because of Jeff Ireland's love of slow lumbering cornfed players like John Jerry and Bryant McKinnie who didn't fit the system. Let's try to develop some through the Draft and a better coach in John Benton.

This was just a solid pick. At worst you get a guy who you can develop as a versatile backup who can play 5 positions on the line.

At best you have a day one starting guard.

In a perfect world, with James/Turner, Dallas Thomas (if they are smart enough to work him at guard this entire offseason) and Sam Brenner (backup to Pouncey) you hope your oline is in somewhat of place and you have your oline vets like Fox (vet tackle), Smith (vet guard) and Garner (vet versatile) to step in if the youngsters aren't ready.

Either way the depth is clearly much better already and I wouldn't be shocked if we add one more guy into the mix . . . probably another tackle.

Supposedly Hickey has a preference for high character players.

Every GM brags how they only want High Character guys right up until they are on the hot seat because their roster sucks, then they trade for and draft anyone who can help them win

Hickey has 18 years of professional NFL evaluation experience behind him. He hasn't rushed to a decision. He and his team have probably spent hours evaluating Billy Turner and said, yes, this is a player we want to invest a 3rd round Draft pick in. Not wishing to sound too derogatory, you have probably seen a few videoclips from North Dakota State Bisons and the Senior Bowl practice and determined that he's a turnstile - ie he's a bust.
OK, you correctly flag some concerns but please be open to the possibility that you are wrong. He's pretty raw but when I see a former Super Bowl winning O-line Coach, Howard Mudd getting enthusiastic about Billy Turner in the video called "Driven", I'm more interested.
I don't have a problem with Turner being a development prospect who may take a little longer to come good. He and Ja'Wuan James fit the ZBS that Joe wants to fully implement. We have wasted 2 years because of Jeff Ireland's love of slow lumbering cornfed players like John Jerry and Bryant McKinnie who didn't fit the system. Let's try to develop some through the Draft and a better coach in John Benton.

Great post! You nailed it! Round peg in round hole = greater probability of success. :D

Back
Top Bottom