Miami Dolphins sign kicker Jason Sanders to extension | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins sign kicker Jason Sanders to extension

I just posted a thread w/ my sketchy ass connections here in freezing N Texas. He's definitely earned it. Hopefully kicking some playoff game winning, or possibly Super Bowl clinchers!!!

Very happy with this. Such an underappreciated position, but often times games (and sometimes the biggest) come down to the kicker. I trust Jason Sanders in pretty much any scenario.

Reward good contribute players.
Take care Gesicki too, before Landry situation happens.
Sorry Gators Pitt fans.

Landry and Gesicki are incomparable.

One was a monumental part of this offense. The other is pretty good.

Not hard to figure out which was which.

what’s he kicked for us for? 2 years maybe. Not a large body of work. But a leap of faith I suppose and we could do worse. Seems in line with where the market should be Id say for him as a free agent. Of course this is a year early. When we controlled him at what $920k for another year.

I was very much worried about how we would approach this deal with Sanders but the deal is really solid on the part of Miami.

It's almost as if Sanders said "I haven't made **** in this league yet and I am the All Pro kicker last year . . . let me get some security just in case I do fall off".

And to Chris Grier's credit, he has pounced at the opportunity for team friendly deals. That $920k in 2021 doesn't change at all. The cap hit for 2021 probably goes up what . . . $500k? My guess is the signing bonus is probably in that 2 to 3 million range and they probably fully guaranteed 2022 and probably gave themselves an out in 2023 before guaranteed funds kicked in for that season.

So lets just say at worst, Sanders is under contract for the next 3 years for 9 million and if we cut bait due to poor play the dead hit after those 3 years is probably less than 2 million.

It is a really surprisingly good deal for a kicker who made the all pro first team i believe last year. I thought this deal could easily get into the 5+ million AAV range and clear top kicker in the NFL. It would of most certainly gotten there is he repeated his 2021 and became a FA.

As far as Gesicki goes, Miami will likely play this one out in year 4 and see where the cards fall from there.

They do have the franchise tag in their back pocket, but make no mistake, as of right now, 3 years in, he is definitely more in the "walk" FA and get a comp pick vs. the "must have" when it comes to the Miami Dolphins.

He has athletic ability that no other TE has on this roster, but if you haven't been paying attention they have been trying to upgrade that position and turning over rocks since Flo/Grier took over in 2019. They just do not like how weak he is at the POA and he leaves them vulnerable in other areas. Of course when you fall behind and it becomes I need a big guy out there with some athleticism to make a catch . . . he fits the bill nicely, but if Miami has the chance to upgrade him properly I absolutely think they would shoot their shot at TE and even potentially trade Mike if it came down to it.

Nothing I have seen suggests Miami is interested in extending Mike Gesicki.

Back
Top Bottom