Miami Dolphins Te Mike Gesicki Hasn’t Yet Dominated. Here’s Why. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins Te Mike Gesicki Hasn’t Yet Dominated. Here’s Why.

I just hope he can stay on his feet, or not get bullied by smaller defenders. I think It was Aqua Orange that nailed his comparison...Big Bird on skates.
Gesicki running around looks like a guy the say after doing 1000 squats who can't feel their legs. But, hey he jumped high in shorts
This is quite odd really. He came into the draft as the absolute best % catcher of all TE's, meaning he caught a higher percentage of his targets. He also had the best percentage of contested catches as well. But TE is a huge adjustment to the NFL. They have to learn the blocking schemes like an OL--which is very new for most TE's and definitely faaaaaaaaar more expansive than anything Penn State ran. Remember, Penn State recruited Gesicki as a WR, and converted him to TE later. So, yeah, he wasn't the most willing blocker. One reason he's not playing much is because Gase is requiring him to become a good blocker.

Additionally, the route trees and such are far harder in the pros because the NFL demands precision and much more complexity. So, he's thinking instead of playing instinctively, which makes people tentative and more likely to drop passes. Very few TE's are highly productive as rookies, and even those tend to be guys whose roles are pared down a lot, like Jimmy Graham. The guys who can walk right in and dominate as a two way player are extremely rare.

I'm disappointed we haven't seen the best of Gesicki as a receiver. I was hoping for more. But, if it takes sitting him most of his rookie year and he becomes a competent run blocker and pass protector, I'll take it. I have a lot of faith in his receiving ability, and next year we will see him blossom in that area at least. Just my $0.02.

Everyone keeps saying this, but its not like Goedert has been lighting the league on fire (The Eagles are also a mess right now). Goedert may be the better player this year or early in his career, but I would not be surprised if Gesicki is the better of the 2 down the road. I'll take a year or 2 of developing if it turns into a much higher ceiling player.

I like Goedert too, but no one is factoring in he's playing on a super bowl team, with a true #1 TE alongside him, and an above avg QB. Defenses can't even focus on Goedert like they can on Gesicki.

I'll take that bet. If Gesicki doesn't put on some SERIOUS muscle and weight this offseason, he'll be out of the league in two years. They have him listed at 250+ pounds...I would be surprised if he's over 225 lbs.

And for now, defenses aren't the least bit worried about facing Gesicki. He's gotten his ass handed to him by corners on a regular basis.

I'll take that bet. If Gesicki doesn't put on some SERIOUS muscle and weight this offseason, he'll be out of the league in two years. They have him listed at 250+ pounds...I would be surprised if he's over 225 lbs.

And for now, defenses aren't the least bit worried about facing Gesicki. He's gotten his *** handed to him by corners on a regular basis.

What I meant by focus was that Gesicki doesnt have Zach Ertz across from him for defenses to focus on. Early on Gase said Gesicki was getting double teamed which was odd, but I'm sure thats not happening much anymore. I still don't think they are using him right either. The guy can out jump just about anyone in the league, any time its man to man they should be throwing more balls his way. I understand he isnt playing physical enough, but that was never his game in college either. You could throw hail mary's his way in college, and he would come down with 85% of them. Hopefully next year he really develops.

He’s developed as a blocker. That’s a plus.

Right now I agree with a lot of sentiment he should be running seams not drags.

Gase needs to find a way to blend his offensive philosophies instead of trying to force his horizontal tendencies on every player.

See if New Orleans will trade you the kid Arnold for him this offseason. Never heard of Arnold? Trust me he’s better

He’s developed as a blocker. That’s a plus.

Right now I agree with a lot of sentiment he should be running seams not drags.

Gase needs to find a way to blend his offensive philosophies instead of trying to force his horizontal tendencies on every player.

Absolutely not. He had 1 block in the Indy game early that helped on a Drake/Gore run I believe . . . But that absolutely had more to do with him just being a body rather than any development as a blocker . . .and he still looked overmatched but it did the job.

This dude is still very much a shitty blocker and there are several moments in the Indy game that show that.

Obviously he'll be around to see if he can develop . . . But Michael Egnew showed more promise as a blocker than Gesicki has so far. The guy is a straight up liability when on the field and that is disappointing for a top 42 pick who was basically given a free run at being the guy.

Back
Top Bottom