Miami Dolphins’ Walt Aikens working exclusively at cornerback now | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins’ Walt Aikens working exclusively at cornerback now

Well I didn't like the idea of having two back up safeties in Aikens and Thomas that were good special teams players but couldn;t be counted on to play defense. You could get by with one of those types of players at a position but not two. As for Aikens making the roster at corner, I think it's a long shot barring injuries with Maxwell, Howard, Lippett, Tankersly, McCain and Pitts likely ahead of him on the depth chart.

He should work exclusively as a special teamer. I don't even want to see him on the field defensively if we've got multiple injuries in the secondary; I'd rather sign someone off the practice squad.

Superb special teamer though.
We did that last year. We signed Rambo off the street and he was starting in the next game while Aikens never saw the field. I don't expect Aikens to get on the field as a CB either. It's just a numbers game...so many spots for CBs and so many spots for Safeties and we signed a couple of safeties plus we'll have to make room at mid-season when McDonald is off his suspension.

Things will come into better focus towards the end of training camp. There will be some hard decisions to make cause I'm not sure we carry 6 WRs this year and even if we do I don't know if Grant will be one of them. That #4 and #5 WR need to be solid special teams players.

Really the next step is to find players who can play and play special teams, hopefully that rookie safety Smith from Ga and one of those young wide recievers. I am also interested in that Southern Ill linebacker we coveted that we gave a extra 10 grand signing bonus. Throw in the 2 rookie defensive tackles plus the Virginia tackle and there are a ton of dark horses to watch and could add much needed depth at a lot of positions. Training camps and preseasons I always enjoy looking for those no name players. This could be jammed full.

I would expect a lighter in the pants aikens this year which could effect specials. I doubt he's trying his hand at corner at strong safety size and his physicality on specials has been a big part of his game

I would expect a lighter in the pants aikens this year which could effect specials. I doubt he's trying his hand at corner at strong safety size and his physicality on specials has been a big part of his game

He's only listed at 6'1 205. Our current corners are 6'0 207, 6'2 192, 6'0 201 & 6'1 199. He's has pretty much prototype size for what this staff like at corner. Do you think he is bigger than his listed weight?

He's only listed at 6'1 205. Our current corners are 6'0 207, 6'2 192, 6'0 201 & 6'1 199. He's has pretty much prototype size for what this staff like at corner. Do you think he is bigger than his listed weight?

I think he was 225 last year. He definitely put on weight which brought a lot more thump to his game. Became more of a hitter.

After the Jville game 2 years ago, I can honestly say I've never seen Blake Bortles abuse a safety so badly.

How he's going to play Cb is beyond me.

I don't think there's a chance but Coach Gase is doing the right thing by trying out at a new position.

I'd let him continue to thrive on STs and keep together our STs beasts in Thomas, Hull, and Aikens.

Aikens was almost 220 last year. He is known for having stiff hips and is not smooth in his turns. Can't see any reason why we'd want him at CB. He's strictly a safety and special teamer.

Probably the worst player I've ever seen get safety snaps for this team in the past decade, maybe longer... Baccari Rambo included. Absolutely no exaggeration either.

A couple of times I've heard Gase and another coach (Burke maybe?) mention that he is one of the top big athletes. I'm guessing that's in reference to his height/weight vs. other DB's. So maybe he's a bit more athletic than most safeties and physically bigger than most of our CB's. Whatever it is, the coaches have clearly seen and noted it.

20170608-ale-dolphins-ota-022.jpg

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...aikens-working-exclusively-at-cornerback-now/

Likely a backup press corner, his strength is likely the only real thing going for him. I am more curious about what this means for depth at safety? Maybe there's a guy we like there to replace Walt? He sticks as ST no matter what though, Larry Izzo type career potential there.

Likely a backup press corner, his strength is likely the only real thing going for him. I am more curious about what this means for depth at safety? Maybe there's a guy we like there to replace Walt? He sticks as ST no matter what though, Larry Izzo type career potential there.

When you consider that Walt Aiken is absolutely one of the worst safeties in the NFL - all depth players included - it means nothing in relation to that. Any undrafted rookie can flash more than this guy has shown.

Back
Top Bottom