Miami Has the Oldest Starting Defense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Has the Oldest Starting Defense

There was 2 years there where Madison was the best corner in football. He wasnt Darrelle Revis in his prime level dominant but he had a top shelf run. Thing is though Madison fell off quicker than Patrick surtain.

Since Gase has arrived we are seeing a shift from that typical Tannenbaum approach. I feel Gase has a good influence in how this team is built and the direction it's going. More Gase and Grier less Tannenbaum.
I agree. The F/O structure scared me, when most thought it be completely run by Tannenbaum. But since Gase was hired, it does seem he's more involved in the F/A side of things. The huge spending sprees he was known for in NY haven't come about with the exception of the Suh signing. It's been more about re-signing their own, Outside of Oliver Vernon. But it's been the shift in draft strategy that's been the most pleseant surprise. It's more about letting the board come to them and not going trade crazy. For what it's worth, perhaps Tannenbaum has truly changed, but I need more convincing. Another draft like the past 2 and finding the money to get Landry re-signed or a good return if traded-would go a long way in showing many of us, he's a team player now.

Old defenses get run on. Period. Ask George Allen why Czsonka gashed his "over the hill gang" in Super Bowl 7. After all these years this is still a truism.

Charles Harris needs to develop into "the guy" because once Wake leaves, we have little left. We ranked 21st in sacks last year with only 33. When you look at how much we are paying Suh, we cannot afford to sign a top tier pass rusher. We will not be in the market for a guy like Ziggy Ansah and there isn't much else out there in 2018. They need to come through the draft.

Yes, we guaranteed Timmons two years but we also guaranteed Branch 2 full years (with a 2M dead hit in `19). That's more concerning for me with his 10M cap hit next year. We need more out of a weak side edge player than 6 sacks.

I believe we will be drafting another edge player high in 2018.

I'm not bothered by this because I strongly believe that Howard, Tankersely, Harris, Godchaux, and McMillan will be productive starters in this league. We will continue to add youth in the coming drafts, as our offense is set aside from the offensive line. Hopefully we set ourselves up to go defense in the first 2-3 rounds again.

Need at least one of those guys to become elite. I think Howard, Harris, and McMillan all have a shot.

Charles Harris needs to develop into "the guy" because once Wake leaves, we have little left. We ranked 21st in sacks last year with only 33. When you look at how much we are paying Suh, we cannot afford to sign a top tier pass rusher. We will not be in the market for a guy like Ziggy Ansah and there isn't much else out there in 2018. They need to come through the draft.

Yes, we guaranteed Timmons two years but we also guaranteed Branch 2 full years (with a 2M dead hit in `19). That's more concerning for me with his 10M cap hit next year. We need more out of a weak side edge player than 6 sacks.

I believe we will be drafting another edge player high in 2018.
Your post is spot on. Branch and hopefully Wake are here for the next 2 years. When they re-signed Branch, it sure seemed like a 2 year deal, with the team releasing him after the 2nd yr. As for Wake, we'll all I can say or hope, is that Father Time doesn't catch up with him. Miami must develop Harris, who is a huge question mark after having what seemed like a sensational off season. Like you, I believe Miami will probably be drafting another DE or two, high in the 2018 draft. Miami can not afford to bank on any of the current DE on the roster for a variety of reasons. It's looking like a rebuild at that position in spite of Harris' selection. They are young at CB, relatively young at LB and deep at safety. To me DE stands out, as well as, slot CB and more depth at LB.

They are only gonna have rotation snaps for another high pick edge in 2018 if William Hayes walks.

They won't be giving up on charles harris in one year no matter what he looks like.

They are only gonna have rotation snaps for another high pick edge in 2018 if William Hayes walks.

They won't be giving up on Charles Harris in one year no matter what he looks like.
Either way, Miami is in a very fickle situation. They need to find another DE. Branch isn't worth that contract in terms of his production. At least he's there for at least 2 more years; Giving Miami time to either develop or find a replacement. Then you add Wakes age, and Hayes' potential to walk, perhaps because Miami doesn't have money to re-sign him. You can see the urgency.

Wakes gonna have to fall off or sustain another season ending injury for them to get urgent about de. We are married to branch the next 2 years. Charles Harris gets 2 maybe 3 years too to show.

Wakes the only thing that could flip the script.

Miami could buy itself another year with Hayes or sign a cheap vet to fill.

Wakes gonna have to fall off or sustain another season ending injury for them to get urgent about de. We are married to branch the next 2 years. Charles Harris gets 2 maybe 3 years too to show.

Wakes the only thing that could flip the script.

Miami could buy itself another year with Hayes or sign a cheap vet to fill.

The good part of this is that Hayes seems like a pretty loyal guy and has already stated he loves it in Miami and never would have taken a shortened deal if he knew how much he was going to like it here. He's likely to re-sign, IMO.

Right now our two best DE's are Hayes and Wake....so how do we get them on the field at the same time when both are strong side guys? Branch didn't do much yesterday from what I could see.

The good part of this is that Hayes seems like a pretty loyal guy and has already stated he loves it in Miami and never would have taken a shortened deal if he knew how much he was going to like it here. He's likely to re-sign, IMO.

Right now our two best DE's are Hayes and Wake....so how do we get them on the field at the same time when both are strong side guys? Branch didn't do much yesterday from what I could see.

I'm convinced that branch signing is just a cost of doing business thing positionally more than anything else.

To be honest, I don't see this as an immediate issue. It could be in a year or two if Miami doesn't continue to rebuild the defense.

At least to some degree, the front office has started to look for young players to replace the vets. McMillan is probably the natural guy to take over for Timmons, who signed a short-term deal. Harris, if he pans out, could be Wake's replacement. There's no one right now to replace Suh or Jones.

It is a little concerning that the Dolphins best players on defense are all veterans. Definitely need to continue to build on that side of the ball.

Regardless of age, I have a different angle. I noticed a slow defense. Our defensive team speed is sub-par. We need to inject some big time speed into that D. Maxwell, as well as our free safety, and our LB's in particular bring down the overall speed of the defense. You'd like to see speed everywhere that just swarms to the ball. We just do not have that. I think we need considerable investments at the top of the draft into the defense.

Back
Top Bottom