Miami Trading 20th pick to Arizona for Leonard Davis? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Trading 20th pick to Arizona for Leonard Davis?

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Not that this has been floated anywhere, I'm just canvassing opinion. Fine young lineman who can play outside and in and someone who the Cards are a little unsure about as he's played so many positions since his rookie year. I think he's one of the best young OL in the game, but with Bidwell being so tight and him being in a contract year, I wondered whether any of you would take the deal considering he's almost exactly what we need on our OL.

I doubt it happens either Phun, but u never know.

i would not do it, given he is in a contract year... unless a long term deal was worked out prior to the trade with him.

Originally posted by CarolinaFishFan
i would not do it, given he is in a contract year... unless a long term deal was worked out prior to the trade with him. [/QUOTE i hear ya man ... contract first then i'd make the trade in a heart beat .

Wouln't he command "woody" type money? How would that affect our chances of resigning Chambers and Ogun?:confused:

I do not think I would do it. Leonard Davis was drafted really high and he couldn't beat out Anthony Clement or LJ Shelton for a tackle spot. He should have been as ready to play right out of the box as Jordan Gross. Part of the allure of drafting a guy at pick #20 is that his first four years of cap space are going to be pretty low. Leonard Davis is in a contract year so he'll have a veteran's salary, we'll be giving up the #20 pick for him, and he'll likely only be a guard?

Check please.

Can someone get me a Shawn Andrews to go? Thanks.

I'd not do it either. I think that if Andrews is not there we'll move down and pick up 1 extra pick which we can use in such a deep draft.

Ozzy rules!!

The problem is that this draft is weak on tackles but is top-heavy with Gallery and Andrews...they are genuine blue chip tackle prospects but Andrews is falling because I guess teams really are scared to death of the weight thing (I would insist on weight clauses in his contract its best for all involved especially for his own health)...I honestly think that if its something Andrews HAS to do, he can keep his weight in check. Heck, he went from 401 lbs down to 339 lbs within two months...because he knows he has to make weight to get that cash money. Thats what scouts are afraid of, and Andrews himself would probably deny he's losing weight just for the money, but I don't see it as a problem because it means if you stick weight clauses in his contract with monetary rewards for making weight, the man will probably respond.

The reason I don't like this trading down thing is because our needs are along the OL, and once you get past the top few players at tackle (Gallery and Andrews) and the top few players at Guard and Center (Smiley, Carey, and Grove) I believe this draft is thin at OL. Very thin.

Ck...I agree...This is exactly why I have been saying that reaching for Carey or Smiley at #20 is something I would do...Grove is another situation...he is really close to these guys, but I'd have to trade down for him...Still, I think for out needs, Andrews would be the best choice...

Larry, why take Jake Grove when we have a center? That's nonsensical. If you play him at RG, then you are playing him out of position, if you put Seth McKinney there, you are also playing him out of position at a spot he's never played. We have a back-up center who was an All American and has never been given the chance to play his natural spot in John St Clair - I don't see why Jake Grove even comes into the equation.

Id do it.....see, thats the reason i dont want to take an O-Lineman with our first pick of the draft, ...its gonna take time for him to develop...heck, if we are gonna draft a O-Lineman id rather trade that 20th pick for a proven O-lineman instead....to where as a WR (your Torry Holts', Chris Chambers','Randy Mosss') they can usual;ly come in and help out immiedelty....

so i say to you, screw picking an O-Lineman with the first pick, DRAFT A WR!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Predaphin34
Id do it.....see, thats the reason i dont want to take an O-Lineman with our first pick of the draft, ...its gonna take time for him to develop...heck, if we are gonna draft a O-Lineman id rather trade that 20th pick for a proven O-lineman instead....to where as a WR (your Torry Holts', Chris Chambers','Randy Mosss') they can usual;ly come in and help out immiedelty....

so i say to you, screw picking an O-Lineman with the first pick, DRAFT A WR!!!!!!!!!!

Davis is an above average guard getting paid like a top 3 guard AND he's only got one year left on his contract. You'd be better off with Andrews.

Boomer, you're probably right, but he is the next best OL after Andrews/Smiley/Carey....I wouldn't draft him in the 1st round though was what I was trying to say....The other 3, I would consider in the first round...And one reason that Grove came up is that one of the knocks on McKinney is the line calls...we know he could be a decent G...He might be a good center, but has to get past the line calls, that supposedly held him back last year.

Back
Top Bottom