Miami's Draft and Free Agency 2004 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's Draft and Free Agency 2004

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Apologies to those of you who read this at the DCH HAS RESPONDED thread, but I wasn't sure everyone that's interested in the draft and free agency would read it.

Thus here it is again.

OK, the draft.......Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are the two top QB's. Manning has the family history and the leadership. He does all the little things really well, but isn't as much of a film geek as Peyton and is much more chilled. Roethlisberger is a junior but has indicated that he will declare. He has it all, but is raw. He's huge, incredibly mobile and has a cannon of an arm. But he has terrible talent at Miami of Ohio and rarely showcases because of it. But when you watch his mechanics, footwork, etc, you see that he is a legitimate top 10 pick. Manning also is a top 10 guy. I don't think we have a shot at either to be honest. The 2nd tier guys are led by JP Losman of Tulane who figures to be a 1st rounder. He's raw, but makes things happen both with arm and legs. He's a leader - a little like Patrick Ramsey. Can gun the ball downfield. Has variable accuracy, but R1 skills. Two juniors who could figure in R1 are Arizona State's Andrew Walter and Kyle Orton of Purdue. I would however imagine both will stay in school as they figure to be top 10 talents next year. I can't see us taking either of the top 2 and I think we have too many holes elsewhere to go with Losman who clearly needs some work. If we had a 2nd rounder, I could see us getting involved in the Drew Henson sweepstakes. I would think we would certainly have a high level interest in the former Wolverine. It just depends what Houston do, IF they can get him signed and what they want from him. I would imagine they will be looking to recoup that 2nd rounder that they gave up for Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft. They only conceivable way that we get Henson is, IMO, if we tender Wally Ogunleye with a 1st and 3rd rounder and then let him go and use one of those, or a combination of 3rd rounders say, to get him.

We don't need a TB, but the there are a few names who will sneak into R1: Carnell Williams of Auburn, Steven Jackson of Oregon State and Kevin Jones of Virginia Tech are the top 3 backs, just for your draft lists.

At WR, where to start. The bounty is MASSIVE. Once again though, the lack of a 2nd rounder KILLS us. We realistically, in the mid 2nd, would have a chance at what usually would be a mid 1st pick, the talent level is that high. Pitt's Larry Fitzgerald, who is eligible and will likely declare is a top 3 talent, then you are looking at Reggie Williams and Roy Williams as top 10 picks. Then Rashaun Woods, Michael Jenkins, Lee Evans, Bernard Berrian, Darius Watts, Michael Clayton, Fred Gibson, Ernest Wilford, Devard Darling, Braylon Edwards, James Newsom, Jerricho Cottchery, etc. The list stretches on and on.

Again we don't need a TE, but Kellen Winslow is a high R1 pick, then there's Ben Troupe, Ben Utect, the guy I really like at Pitt Kris Wilson and Ben Watson of Georgia.

The all important OL has some solid players - the top 2 left tackles will be gone in the top 5-7 picks - Robert Gallery is as impressive as Sean Taylor and Larry Fitzgerald are, in what he does. He's a tremendous run blocker and an outstanding pass protector. He's just huge. He kept Eric Steinbach at LG last year. Guy could be the top overall pick. Arkansas RT Shaun Andrews can play either side, but will he come out? It's likely. The guy I think Miami should go for is Miami LG Vernon Carey who amazingly is having to play there instead of LT and it's knocking his draft status. He can play either side and has great upside. Nat Dorsey of Georgia Tech has dominated since he was a freshman - not many players keep Julius Peppers quiet at NC but he did. He's a late 1. Pure RT's like Tony Pape are nice elsewhere on day 1, whilst Carlos Joseph is a solid LT playing out of position at the moment on the right side. Ray Willis of FSU has mighty strength and is very raw, whilst Mike Munoz and Maryland junior CJ Brooks are nice players.

At G, there are some very nice late 1st, early 2nd round prospects - BC's Chris Snee and Michigan's David Baas are the pile movers that we lack. Real nasty. These are two guys we should be REALLY trying hard for. Baas however is a 4th year junior, whilst Snee is a 3rd year sophomore. Stephen Peterman of LSU, Adrien Clarke of Ohio State, the kid at Wisconsin Clinkscale, junior Mike Erickson of Nebraska and Nick Leckey at KState are all solid players. But if Snee and Baas come out, these would be my guys. They are the Andre Gurode/LeCharles Bentley interior tough guys that we lack.

At C, it looks like McKinney is the guy, but coaches can't be that happy with him if he can't beat out the dross that is currently playing from LG to RT. Toby Cecil, Alex Herron, Ben Wilkerson and tough guy Alex Stepanovich are big nasty guys at the point. Wilkerson is very athletic and is a junior, as is Herron.

At DE, there are likely 2 senior 1st rounders in Will Smith and Claude Harriott and then a decent crop of 1st round juniors in David Pollack, Kenechi Udezi, and Antwan Odom and one redshirt soph, Mathias Kiwanuku at BC. The latter three I really like as rush ends, although I doubt strongly we'll take a guy at end in 1.

At DT, we are getting old. Wilfork, Tommie Harris, Randy Starks of Maryland who I like, Albert Means who is raw but could be great, Antajj Hawthorne and Shaun Cody of Wisconsin and USC are 2 sensational juniors. It's a good group, but surely we have to go offense.

At LB, again I doubt we go here in R1. There are just too many holes. There are some solid names though and I suppose time will come when we have to look for a Zach replacement - the best MLB prospects are Freddie Roach of Alabama who is a redshirt soph but a great player. Vilma at Miami, Richard Siegler at Oregon State, Rod Davis of Southern, Daryl Smith of Georgia Tech, and Lance Mitchell, whose stock has fallen coming off the ACL he suffered about a month ago, are all solid players.

Same for corner, although free safety could be an issue with Brock likley to get waxed and Freeman intent on moving on. Sean Taylor is the best defensive player in college ball IMO, whilst Purdue's Stuart Schweigert, Madieu Williams of Maryland who is something we lack in the deep patrol - a safety with great cover skills - and UCLA's Matt Ware are all nice prospects.

In free agency, the pickings are thin at QB - AJ Feeley and Mike McMahon are the RFA's whilst UFA's you're looking at Todd Bouman or Shaun King. Let's nor kid ourselves that Bulger or Peyton will be FA's. I'd rather restructure Jay.

At WR its also a thin crop. We can't afford Terrell Owens and so the best UFA's are Darrell Jackson, who the Hawks will surely resign, Tai Streets who the 9ers will sign and Dennis Northcutt - scraping the barrell now!! Of the RFA's only Steve Smith of Carolina merits any worth.

On the OL, again, lets not kid ourselves that we will sign Orlando Pace or Walter Jones. The best bets are the unheralded but excellent Jeno James at Carolina, John Tait at KC, Floyd Womack at Seattle (RFA), Marques Sullivan at Buffalo (RFA), Rick DeMulling (RFA) at Indy, Adam Timmerman of the Rams (UFA), Chad Clifton of the Pack (UFA) and Damian Woody (UFA) of the Pats, who will resign him and Damion McIntosh of San Diego. The rest is chump change.

So what would I do? Well, I'd tender Wally Ogunleye with 1st and 3rd round picks and let him go if we got the right bid. If not, I'd take the best available WR or OL. I might be inclined to trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder and then go T, G, WR on day 1. Vernon Carey, Chris Snee and Darius Watts would be nice. I really think grunters, big, dirty, nasty chain movers up front are what we need. I would let Todd Wade go via FA, I would let Ruddy go, I would probably keep Nails as he's 2 years on from the injury and see what we got in FA in terms of keeping him and Perry.

The lack of a 2nd rounder hurts us, but there are players out there who can help, if the chips fall right. But it's the draft and when do the chips ever fall right????

As a footnote, I think Wade Smith will be a quality football player for us. The guy should be inactive each week if the coaches sorted out the OL in the off-season. Instead, with 1 and a half years LT experience, he's facing all pros. As for Whitley, he is an excellent mover and just needs strength. I thought Montrae Holland was the better pick, but he has tools. Remains to be seen if he is tough enough.

Boomer.

As posted elsewhere, he's 3 years removed from High School having spent a year between HS and Pitt at a Military Academy. Thus he IS eligible.

No worries mate. It's only recently become clear exactly whether he finished that year at the Military Academy and whether that allowed him to be eligible. It does.

Boomer

Boomer the fact of whether Fitzgerald will be eligible is debateable. Yes, he spent a year at a prep school after his high school year. however, the fact that he has only spent two years in college has led him to openly suggest challenging the rule of the NFL. He and his lawyer have both indicated he'd have to sue to come out. He'd win the lawsuit though with the loophole of the rule being your graduating class must be three years removed from HS which it technically is.

I disagree that we have no shot at Manning though. I don't believe enough teams need a QB ahead of us to take one.

You left out a few players I think are solid as well. Travelle Wharton of SC is a solid player who continues to improve. Max Starks is also a player many are high on.

Carlos Joesph plays LG for UM and Carey plays RT.

Thanks

Originally posted by Boomer
Apologies to those of you who read this at the DCH HAS RESPONDED thread, but I wasn't sure everyone that's interested in the draft and free agency would read it.

Thus here it is again.

OK, the draft.......Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are the two top QB's. Manning has the family history and the leadership. He does all the little things really well, but isn't as much of a film geek as Peyton and is much more chilled. Roethlisberger is a junior but has indicated that he will declare. He has it all, but is raw. He's huge, incredibly mobile and has a cannon of an arm. But he has terrible talent at Miami of Ohio and rarely showcases because of it. But when you watch his mechanics, footwork, etc, you see that he is a legitimate top 10 pick. Manning also is a top 10 guy. I don't think we have a shot at either to be honest. The 2nd tier guys are led by JP Losman of Tulane who figures to be a 1st rounder. He's raw, but makes things happen both with arm and legs. He's a leader - a little like Patrick Ramsey. Can gun the ball downfield. Has variable accuracy, but R1 skills. Two juniors who could figure in R1 are Arizona State's Andrew Walter and Kyle Orton of Purdue. I would however imagine both will stay in school as they figure to be top 10 talents next year. I can't see us taking either of the top 2 and I think we have too many holes elsewhere to go with Losman who clearly needs some work. If we had a 2nd rounder, I could see us getting involved in the Drew Henson sweepstakes. I would think we would certainly have a high level interest in the former Wolverine. It just depends what Houston do, IF they can get him signed and what they want from him. I would imagine they will be looking to recoup that 2nd rounder that they gave up for Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft. They only conceivable way that we get Henson is, IMO, if we tender Wally Ogunleye with a 1st and 3rd rounder and then let him go and use one of those, or a combination of 3rd rounders say, to get him.

We don't need a TB, but the there are a few names who will sneak into R1: Carnell Williams of Auburn, Steven Jackson of Oregon State and Kevin Jones of Virginia Tech are the top 3 backs, just for your draft lists.

At WR, where to start. The bounty is MASSIVE. Once again though, the lack of a 2nd rounder KILLS us. We realistically, in the mid 2nd, would have a chance at what usually would be a mid 1st pick, the talent level is that high. Pitt's Larry Fitzgerald, who is eligible and will likely declare is a top 3 talent, then you are looking at Reggie Williams and Roy Williams as top 10 picks. Then Rashaun Woods, Michael Jenkins, Lee Evans, Bernard Berrian, Darius Watts, Michael Clayton, Fred Gibson, Ernest Wilford, Devard Darling, Braylon Edwards, James Newsom, Jerricho Cottchery, etc. The list stretches on and on.

Again we don't need a TE, but Kellen Winslow is a high R1 pick, then there's Ben Troupe, Ben Utect, the guy I really like at Pitt Kris Wilson and Ben Watson of Georgia.

The all important OL has some solid players - the top 2 left tackles will be gone in the top 5-7 picks - Robert Gallery is as impressive as Sean Taylor and Larry Fitzgerald are, in what he does. He's a tremendous run blocker and an outstanding pass protector. He's just huge. He kept Eric Steinbach at LG last year. Guy could be the top overall pick. Arkansas RT Shaun Andrews can play either side, but will he come out? It's likely. The guy I think Miami should go for is Miami LG Vernon Carey who amazingly is having to play there instead of LT and it's knocking his draft status. He can play either side and has great upside. Nat Dorsey of Georgia Tech has dominated since he was a freshman - not many players keep Julius Peppers quiet at NC but he did. He's a late 1. Pure RT's like Tony Pape are nice elsewhere on day 1, whilst Carlos Joseph is a solid LT playing out of position at the moment on the right side. Ray Willis of FSU has mighty strength and is very raw, whilst Mike Munoz and Maryland junior CJ Brooks are nice players.

At G, there are some very nice late 1st, early 2nd round prospects - BC's Chris Snee and Michigan's David Baas are the pile movers that we lack. Real nasty. These are two guys we should be REALLY trying hard for. Baas however is a 4th year junior, whilst Snee is a 3rd year sophomore. Stephen Peterman of LSU, Adrien Clarke of Ohio State, the kid at Wisconsin Clinkscale, junior Mike Erickson of Nebraska and Nick Leckey at KState are all solid players. But if Snee and Baas come out, these would be my guys. They are the Andre Gurode/LeCharles Bentley interior tough guys that we lack.

At C, it looks like McKinney is the guy, but coaches can't be that happy with him if he can't beat out the dross that is currently playing from LG to RT. Toby Cecil, Alex Herron, Ben Wilkerson and tough guy Alex Stepanovich are big nasty guys at the point. Wilkerson is very athletic and is a junior, as is Herron.

At DE, there are likely 2 senior 1st rounders in Will Smith and Claude Harriott and then a decent crop of 1st round juniors in David Pollack, Kenechi Udezi, and Antwan Odom and one redshirt soph, Mathias Kiwanuku at BC. The latter three I really like as rush ends, although I doubt strongly we'll take a guy at end in 1.

At DT, we are getting old. Wilfork, Tommie Harris, Randy Starks of Maryland who I like, Albert Means who is raw but could be great, Antajj Hawthorne and Shaun Cody of Wisconsin and USC are 2 sensational juniors. It's a good group, but surely we have to go offense.

At LB, again I doubt we go here in R1. There are just too many holes. There are some solid names though and I suppose time will come when we have to look for a Zach replacement - the best MLB prospects are Freddie Roach of Alabama who is a redshirt soph but a great player. Vilma at Miami, Richard Siegler at Oregon State, Rod Davis of Southern, Daryl Smith of Georgia Tech, and Lance Mitchell, whose stock has fallen coming off the ACL he suffered about a month ago, are all solid players.

Same for corner, although free safety could be an issue with Brock likley to get waxed and Freeman intent on moving on. Sean Taylor is the best defensive player in college ball IMO, whilst Purdue's Stuart Schweigert, Madieu Williams of Maryland who is something we lack in the deep patrol - a safety with great cover skills - and UCLA's Matt Ware are all nice prospects.

In free agency, the pickings are thin at QB - AJ Feeley and Mike McMahon are the RFA's whilst UFA's you're looking at Todd Bouman or Shaun King. Let's nor kid ourselves that Bulger or Peyton will be FA's. I'd rather restructure Jay.

At WR its also a thin crop. We can't afford Terrell Owens and so the best UFA's are Darrell Jackson, who the Hawks will surely resign, Tai Streets who the 9ers will sign and Dennis Northcutt - scraping the barrell now!! Of the RFA's only Steve Smith of Carolina merits any worth.

On the OL, again, lets not kid ourselves that we will sign Orlando Pace or Walter Jones. The best bets are the unheralded but excellent Jeno James at Carolina, John Tait at KC, Floyd Womack at Seattle (RFA), Marques Sullivan at Buffalo (RFA), Rick DeMulling (RFA) at Indy, Adam Timmerman of the Rams (UFA), Chad Clifton of the Pack (UFA) and Damian Woody (UFA) of the Pats, who will resign him and Damion McIntosh of San Diego. The rest is chump change.

So what would I do? Well, I'd tender Wally Ogunleye with 1st and 3rd round picks and let him go if we got the right bid. If not, I'd take the best available WR or OL. I might be inclined to trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder and then go T, G, WR on day 1. Vernon Carey, Chris Snee and Darius Watts would be nice. I really think grunters, big, dirty, nasty chain movers up front are what we need. I would let Todd Wade go via FA, I would let Ruddy go, I would probably keep Nails as he's 2 years on from the injury and see what we got in FA in terms of keeping him and Perry.

The lack of a 2nd rounder hurts us, but there are players out there who can help, if the chips fall right. But it's the draft and when do the chips ever fall right????

As a footnote, I think Wade Smith will be a quality football player for us. The guy should be inactive each week if the coaches sorted out the OL in the off-season. Instead, with 1 and a half years LT experience, he's facing all pros. As for Whitley, he is an excellent mover and just needs strength. I thought Montrae Holland was the better pick, but he has tools. Remains to be seen if he is tough enough.

Boomer.

For answering my and other peoples questions. Always a pleasure

Fitzgerald is still debatable, as Phinsmissed2FGs said, he transferred from his high school here in Minneapolis to the Prep School as his parents were concerend about his SATs etc, he had to redo the year over and then graduated from that school a year after his fellow peers had graduated from his high school back here. The issue is that the CBA says he has to be more than three years after HE Graduated from HS, however there have been allowances made to this rule for players in his position and all signs point to if he does want to come out and declare for the draft the committee will accept his application.

Just because a team doesn't have a glraing need at QB doesn't mean they won't take a superstar if it falls to them. Do you think Dallas, Washington, Arizona, or even Buffalo wouldn't take him if he was there? All these teams have a starter who has been successful, but a franchise QB only comes along every so often......

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by rhadaddy

For answering my and other peoples questions. Always a pleasure

WOAH :eek: Where did you get that picture in your sig? and who is she?

Roethlisberger would be a great pick. With the way Madison is playing I wonder what we could get for him, maybe move up a bit and pick up Roethlisberger. He has it all, just not the exposure.

What place do you guys think he will go in the draft?

Originally posted by Bazinet37
Just because a team doesn't have a glraing need at QB doesn't mean they won't take a superstar if it falls to them. Do you think Dallas, Washington, Arizona, or even Buffalo wouldn't take him if he was there? All these teams have a starter who has been successful, but a franchise QB only comes along every so often......

Yup, and add Pittsburgh to that list. They've got 38-yr old Maddox, Charlie Batch, and a 3rd stringer on that team. They haven't had a badass QB in forever. They're near the top of the draft order so far. And they might be bringing in a new head coach. Several signs point to QB.

BTW - good stuff Boomer!!

If we continue on this current route we'll have a nice mid-level pick, add in trading Arturo off, and we may be able to bump it up a bit. Manning is a stretch, but I would like to see you add Phillip Rivers in there (did you add him? I couldn't fin dhim, if you did i apologize). He's a decent sized QB with a good arm that makes good reads. His RB has been hurt on and off all season, and NCST is riding on his arm and leadership alone. I don't think he'd be ready to walk on (who would? Manning is the only one it would give a chance to start rookie year),but after a year maybe two i think he could be a great QB.

As far as WR's in the FA, i like Steve Smith, he'll prolly be let go, but he has some internal problems. Whether that's just with Carolina, i don't know. But he also plays some returns...would be nice to get a decent return man on our team. He KIND of reminds me of an OG, but if we resign OG i'd take him over smith personally, so I don't know how productive it'd be to pick him up.

I added Pittsburgh but stated they are going to get Henson almost assuredly.

Quincy Carter is playing well and I think Parcells will go for defense or a RB he likes.

Arizona is debateable as well. they'll be picking high and I could see them getting a DT to put in that terrible D-line they have. Plus, Jeff Blake has played well and they have Josh McCown already.

Buffalo will not take a QB in the first (Of course who'd have thought they'd take a RB?)

Washington just picked a QB in the first, who BTW has been very, very good this year.

He looks to be better than Harrington at this point. I just don't see many teams taking a QB in the first this year.

Did New Orleans need Deuce McAlister 2 years ago? Nope, but he was too good of a player to pass. The same will go for Eli Manning. If he drops past pick 10, I'd be ecstatic. I guarantee he won't last that long though. I doubt he makes it out of 5......

Back
Top Bottom