Miami's Draft and Free Agency 2004 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami's Draft and Free Agency 2004

Guys, some notes on your notes......

Vernon Carey, as I said, plays guard at UM and Carlos Joseph plays RT, as I said.

As to where Roethlisberger goes - top 10. In terms of who is looking for QB's....well Pitt, us, Cleveland, GB, Carolina, Arizona, the Raiders and the Chargers are all options.

As for Drew Henson - whilst Pitt have declared their interest a lot more teams have an interest that haven't shown their hand yet, so as to keep the price lower. Oakland will be major players in any Henson sweepstakes.

I did miss some names out of course - it was really just mid-season 1st round possibilities rather than rounds 1-7 names. Wharton won't be a 1st rounder BTW, but lots of names like the excellent Derrick Johnson, Dunta Robinson, DeAngelo Hall, Karlos Dansby, Mike Boulware, DJ Williams, Teddy Lehman etc weren't on the list. It was just meant to be the briefest of brief outlines. And I didn't even do an OLB list

Blueprint - Phillip Rivers is a great college QB and may make a serviceable NFL player, but he holds the ball way too low, so the time of delivery is much longer, he rarely sets his feet properly or steps into his throws, he rarely follows through, he changes his point of release and he has hideous mechanics and an average arm. His mechanics are so bad that he looks like a crippled Bernie Kosar. There is NO WAY on earth, barring serious injury, that he gets drafted ahead of Roethlisberger. And I doubt strongly that he ends up a 1st rounder.

As for the other names:
B.J. Symons is a product of the system and a mid rounder.
Asad Abdul-Khaliq - system QB, likely headed for Canada
Jason White - 3 reconstructed knees mean unlikely to have strong NFL future
Cody Pickett - solid 2nd rounder. Like the guy
J.P. Losman - Likely 1st rounder, as I mentioned in original post.
John Navarre - Archetypal pocket passer, lack of mobilty really hurts - see Bledsoe and Griese - 3rd rounder maybe.....maybe.
Timmy Chang - Never put it all together, system passer in the run and shoot. Has a great arm however and may be coached up as a long term project, via Europe.
Jeff Smoker - Interesting. Good arm, pocket passer. Not quick feet and some major off-field problems with alcohol which will knock his rating.

Surferosa - thanks mate.....as a freshman I thought Cobbs was awesome. I remember his 1st TV game against Tennessee and he was stunningly good. But he lost his way, got into trouble off the field with drugs and skipping classes, etc. But he seems most of the way back this year and has been more consistent which was the biggest problem. His workouts and interviews at the Senior Bowl will be key. Anywhere from late 1st to 3rd round.

Kurt Warner and Marc Brunell are both free agents as well and are two that miami is looking at.

Oh and for the record... Kellen Winslow (for sure) and most likely Sean Taylor (not for sure.. but most likely) are NOT going to the draft this year.

They'll both come out this year IMO.

Boomer, just because you say so doesn't mean it to be true. I was confused on the Miami o-line I'll admit that.

After your draft predictions of last year, it amazes me you'd come in here and act as though your assesments are fact and everyone else who has an opinion of draft players is just wrong and not worthy of consideration.

Tell me where I said Travelle Wharton would be a first rounder. I merely said he's another T prospect we should be interested in. I'm just a little steamed at your condescending nature here.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
They'll both come out this year IMO.

Ok thats your opinion. Now i cant say for sure on Taylor, but i know for a FACT that Kellen wont be going. He wants to win a championship with Miami and he feels he may be able to do that next year. Count on that. He told me himself.

:missmeth:

Miss Meth.....Kellen also told the whole nation that he was a F%*&ing soldier, but I don't seeing him going to Iraq.

Taylor and Winslow, who lived through McGahee will BOTH declare. Miami isn't going to win a National Title in 2004 either so they would be wasting their time.

Phin Missed - what did I say that was true and wasn't? I'm confused. What do you mean after my draft predictions of last year???? Are you sure you have the right person???? I'm the person who told you about Miami targeting Wade Smith the Monday before the draft or who told you that Buffalo would be picking Willis McGahee on the Tuesday before the draft - all at Great Blue North baby. I'm not trying to say I'm right and everyone else is wrong, but I would argue that I watch more film and study more players, from high school up than anyone that posts on this board. Ask guys like FFiB, etc if you question what I know about the draft.

In terms of Trav Wharton, I know you didn't say about him being a 1st rounder, I was merely commenting that because the list was generally 1st rounders, that's why I didn't include him.

I'm still amazed about that "your draft picks of last year" line. Haha

Originally posted by Boomer

Blueprint - Phillip Rivers is a great college QB and may make a serviceable NFL player, but he holds the ball way too low, so the time of delivery is much longer, he rarely sets his feet properly or steps into his throws, he rarely follows through, he changes his point of release and he has hideous mechanics and an average arm. His mechanics are so bad that he looks like a crippled Bernie Kosar. There is NO WAY on earth, barring serious injury, that he gets drafted ahead of Roethlisberger. And I doubt strongly that he ends up a 1st rounder.

just because a player in college doesn't have great mechanics doesn't mean he can't learn (IE. Vick)

IMO the fact he does all these things and still has what he has, then it tells me he has tons of potential! if he slips top the 3rd round i'd be happy.

you look at other players in the NFL and say why wern't they drafted early? Tom Brady was a 6th round, Terrell Davis was a 5th round, JT was a 3rd round (ok thats pretty high) ZT was a 3rd round, etc... i think Rivers might be special.

Zach was a 5th rounder.

Hey I'm not saying he won't be a decent player, but watch a lot of NC State games and then tell me he's a surefire NFL hit. Vick not having great mechanics?

Rivers is a QB like no-one else. His delivery and the fact that he doesn't step into his passes and all the other things I said earlier will make teams pass on him. It would take a HELL of a long time to tear down Rivers' skills and put them back together again. Hey I hope the kid starts and has a great career because he has balls, but I just don't see it.

Brady had decent mechanics at Michigan and runs a certain system with the Pats - short drops, quick passes, quick slants, etc. He wouldn't suit every system.

Originally posted by Boomer
Miss Meth.....Kellen also told the whole nation that he was a F%*&ing soldier, but I don't seeing him going to Iraq.

Taylor and Winslow, who lived through McGahee will BOTH declare. Miami isn't going to win a National Title in 2004 either so they would be wasting their time.

Kellen was also very emotional right after a HUGE loss. He has already apologized for it and maybe that doesnt make it right but still. You dont know Kellen so you have no clue what he is going to do. HE believes they can win next year.. as does most of the team and their fans. You dont know what is going to happen next year.. so dont assume.

Miss Meth - I know the talent they have on their roster and as a recruiting nut, I also know who they have thus far got verbals from and who they are targeting. I think most observers would say that on losing Jarret Peyton, Kellen Winslow, Kevin Beard, Larry Anderson, Sean Taylor, Vince Wilfork, Vernon Carey, DJ Williams, Jarell Weaver, Jon Vilma, Maurice Sikes, Jim Sikora, possibly Antrell Rolle, Darrell McClover, Carlos Joseph, Alphonso Marshall, Jason Geathers, etc, with problems at QB and off the field concerns harking back to the 80's and with Oklahoma looking even stronger next year, and Va Tech, with FSU losing few players to graduation, etc, etc, Miami will struggle to win the ACC next year let alone the National Title.

The fact that you attend UM or went to UM hardly gives you the latitude to stand back and make a clear headed comment about the school. And if you think that the Winslow apology was written by him personally then you are mistaken.

I don't mean this to turn into an argument - unfortunately chat rooms amd message boards make things come out harsher than they are intended - but having followed the draft for so long, I see no rhyme or reason for Winslow or Taylor, both legitimate top 10 picks, to stay at UM.

IM just telling you what is going on.. plain and simple. I do go to UM and i am friends with more than HALF the list you just made. Antrel isnt going.. (he happens to be a very good friend), Kellen told me he wasnt going.. im just going to take his word, Sean said he wasnt sure yet. It sounds to me that you just went right down the roster and named the rest of the senior class. Some of them are redshirted and some arent.. im not good friend with the rest of them excluding Jonathan and he is leaving. We have more depth than you can even imagine. A lot of our players are very young but will be great. QB if DC (derrick) doesnt do well the rest of this year they will force our young QB in Kyle Wright to start and this guy is going to be amazing. Count on that. I understand that your not trying to argue and you truely believe what you are saying but dont tell me i dont know what im saying just because i go to school here.. if anything i know more.

Lets wait and see till January when the declaration date is due and I will duly apologise if Winslow and Taylor aren't on it and again next January if Miami are playing in the BCS Championship game. But I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Kyle Wright may well be very good, but he'll be a redshirt freshman....... if Crudip falls flat I can't see a redshirt freshman on a reloading team that got waxed by Va Tech and Tennessee leading them to a national title when not only do they get Va Tech and FSU in conference, they also have to play a Championship game.

But lets agree to disagree and move on.

Great thread! But I have to diagree with this statement...

"As to where Roethlisberger goes - top 10. In terms of who is
looking for QB's....well Pitt, us, Cleveland, GB, Carolina, Arizona,
the Raiders and the Chargers are all options. "

I have watched Roethlisberger play he's ok but not great.
He has a little speed running the ball for a tall guy. But he
is more in the Brad Johnson mold who plays for Tampa. No
way do I think he should be a top ten pick.

Well I wouldn't give a first for him, but I don't make a living
drafting players either. I think he would need a least a year
sitting on the bench beofre he could play in the NFL and even
then I don't think it would be qaulity QBing for another year,
at least.

That's the way I see it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben is an unbelieveable talent. He'll be a high pick when he comes out. He's only a Jr and I believe every QB should sit at least a year and learn anyway. He makes every decisions, plays in a pretty good conference in the MAC and has been outstanding. I'd love to have the guy personally.

I agree Phins - to me, he screams "FRANCHISE QB" and he's a great guy off the field - look at the Nick Saban e-mail as an example.

Ben has everything you want from a QB. He's even a tough guy who his teammates would kill for. That is what you gotta have in the huddle, someone who everyone believes in and who can also make plays.

Back
Top Bottom