Michael Bennet visting Dolphins today | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Bennet visting Dolphins today

I think Bennett could move over and be fine. With a great rusher on either side other teams won't be able to stop them both. Man if this gets done our pass rush will be fierce next year!

ireland going all in with these moves...if he fails and he's gone it will take us five years to dig out of these contracts...enjoy it now fellas cause i doubt we'll be doing anything in free agency again for quite a long time...

i like the bennett move depending on the money...i liked the wallace move but we added $5 mil in incentives we didn't have to for some damn reason...overpaid wheeler something fierce not a fan of that...i'm ok with the ellerbe move...keller depends on the money...

Pro Football Focus-1. Michael Bennett

2012 Grade: +18.8
2012 Snaps: 985

Summary: Unlike recent years of free agency that featured elite defensive ends like Julius Peppers and Mario Williams, this year’s defensive end class is short on the upper echelon edge defender. Our top free agent here typifies what this year’s free agent class is all about (for the most part): quality run defense and inconsistent pass rush production.

Ever since the light went on for Bennett in the Bucs’ Week 4 Monday Night victory over Indianapolis in 2011 (+11.2) he has developed into one of the league’s best defensive ends on the left side. However, his performances have been blighted by inconsistency, particularly as a pass rusher. For the performances that you get such as his six pressure (two sacks, two hits, two hurries) effort against Dallas, you get games where he’s completely blanked by a divisional opponent (once each by Atlanta and New Orleans this season).

However, even considering this inconsistency as a pass rusher, Bennett is still a force in run defense. The one thing he does with real consistency as a pass rusher is take advantage of favorable matchups. As a young defensive end, Bennett has shown plenty to get excited about and has time on his side to iron out the inconsistencies and become one of the league’s top 4-3 defensive left ends.

Everyone should know about Cameron Wake, who once again was one of the top pass rushers in the NFL. In 2012, he was by far the most productive 4-3 defensive end and graded out as such by a large margin. Not including plays nullified by penalties, Wake registered 17 sacks, 23 QB hits, and 46 hurries while also grading out well above-average against the run (+10.4) and not being responsible for a single penalty. The problem though, is that there is no one on the other edge to take pressure off Wake.

The starter opposite Wake has been Jared Odrick, a 2010 first-round pick that has never lived up to his high selection. In his rookie year, he broke his foot and ended up playing only 22 snaps. This past year he did help out against opposing running games (+4.0), but struggled generating consistent pressure despite Wake’s presence. Odrick accumulated six sacks, 10 QB hits, and 21 hurries, but those pressures were picked up among 566 pass rushing opportunities. Koa Misi, primarily an LB, saw time in place of Odrick, especially in the two games against New England (62 snaps at DRE to 16 snaps at LB). Like Odrick, he was useful against the run, but not in pass rushing. Rookie third-round pick Olivier Vernon, playing 445 snaps out of 1,146 defensive snaps, also failed to consistently get to signal-callers (-6.1 pass rushing). Help is needed here.

The Free Agent Fix: Michael Bennett

Unrestricted free agent Buccaneer Michael Bennett could tremendously help out Miami’s pass rush. An undrafted 2009 free agent, Bennett has become a thorn in QB’s sides the past two seasons and seems to be getting more dangerous. In 2011 he had 4 sacks, 6 QB hits and 28 hurries and in 2012 he earned 9 sacks, 14 hits and 49 hurries.

Brother to current New York Giant TE Martellus, Bennett is not a one-trick pony. Last year he ranked 17th among 4-3 defensive ends in our Run Stop Percentage with only a single missed tackle and 18 stops in run defense. It’s very possible Tampa Bay knows Bennett is worth keeping around, but if they don’t, Miami could make a move.

If Bennett signs, I expect Phins will let Soliai walk next year and bump Odrick inside to his natural position.

Once again, getting younger and cheaper.

I see a trend...........

BenVolinPBP RT @NFLSTROUD: Expect DE Michael Bennett to become a Dolphin. The Bucs are committed to going with Bowers and Clayborn

I like adding bennett and I like all the moves we've been making, but like mentioned above, I hope we can deal with all these contracts and little to no FA action for the next few years...

Bennett is a Texas A&M product and played under Sherman, so there is a strong connection. I only worry about how he fits in with Wake already playing LDE and is an establish Pro Bowler. You can't have enough of pass rushers and think Bennett could fit in if they find a niche between Wake, Bennett and Vernon. I think there is a strong possibility, Vernon could see more playing time as a stand up rusher in the nickle defense much like he was used last season from the Cincy game on. This is an intriguing dilemma to have, if Bennett signs.

I think I'd rather have Barnes across from Wake in nickle situations, but I'm not too well versed on Bennett

Bennet will be a nickel DT. In sub packages he will be an inside rusher with starks and odrick rotating in. Nickel Ends will be Wake and Vernon

this was my number 1 FA target! If this happens I will literally write Jeff Ireland a thank you letter.

As for the cap worries around here they are just that. We are signing younger and cheaper replacements. We are actually gonna be in another enviable position two years from now in the salary cap dept! I cant believe miami seems to finally be going in the right direction again!

Bennett would be a good signing if got for a reasonable price.

He was 3rd in the NFL in QB hurries last year with 48. Also PFF 's 7th best DE against the run.

Ahhhh another Rosenhaus guy Ireland and Drew seem to have a very strong working relationship

Back
Top Bottom