Michael Dieter, Starter Next Year? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Dieter, Starter Next Year?

Yeah, his body composition isn't an issue, he actually has a really solid build for a guard, not sloppy. I'd prefer the guards to have a thicker lower body, but he doesn't have "thin leg syndrome".

His issue is lateral movement, I don't know how much anyone can improve in that area, that is sort of a natural thing athlete have, but he seems like a player that will take the coaching and work on his issues and that is all anyone can ask at this point.
There are certainly drills and techniques that can help improve footwork, but you are correct. It's unlikely he becomes a quick, pulling type guard, at least as a steady diet.

It shouldn't be detrimental in downblocks, and traps, at all. Pass sets is the area that needs some work. Again, it's hard to complain a lot, given the revolving door of guys he has had to play with. Not that he's any better than they are, but cohesiveness as a unit is important, and he is just a rookie. The NFL game happens faster than at Wisconsin.

I'm more worried about the coaching staff asking Jesse Davis to get out into the open field and block someone on a screen play.

I'm sure most missed it but it was not a good look.

As a rookie, Deiter's got more excuses for poor play than anyone on that OL, and he's been wildly inconsistent, and looked bad at times. But, he does have something to build upon as well. I think the kid is going to be a starter for us next year and a piece for a long time to come. Yeah, he's taken his lumps, but look at it this way, he's usually the OL entrusted with the 1v1, so he gets a lot more chances to look bad than the guy who gets all the double-teams. To me, they're putting him in a position to fail, and that's high praise. Unfortunately, he's taking that opportunity and often …. failing, LOL. But, even as a rookie, the coaches recognize he's the best interior OL we have, and he's done some good things.

Next step is to add talent. I'm not saying Deiter has a spot nailed down, nor am I saying he's the answer. But, we're adding a LOT more talent, and I'd say he's probably as assured of a starting interior spot as anyone on the team right now, and he has the best durability, longevity, and long term contract situation as well. So, I suspect he'll be the starter next year, and do a lot better. Then, when we improve the talent around him, Deiter will receive more of the double-team help and some other guard can go 1v1 all the time.

As a rookie, Deiter's got more excuses for poor play than anyone on that OL, and he's been wildly inconsistent, and looked bad at times. But, he does have something to build upon as well. I think the kid is going to be a starter for us next year and a piece for a long time to come. Yeah, he's taken his lumps, but look at it this way, he's usually the OL entrusted with the 1v1, so he gets a lot more chances to look bad than the guy who gets all the double-teams. To me, they're putting him in a position to fail, and that's high praise. Unfortunately, he's taking that opportunity and often …. failing, LOL. But, even as a rookie, the coaches recognize he's the best interior OL we have, and he's done some good things.

Next step is to add talent. I'm not saying Deiter has a spot nailed down, nor am I saying he's the answer. But, we're adding a LOT more talent, and I'd say he's probably as assured of a starting interior spot as anyone on the team right now, and he has the best durability, longevity, and long term contract situation as well. So, I suspect he'll be the starter next year, and do a lot better. Then, when we improve the talent around him, Deiter will receive more of the double-team help and some other guard can go 1v1 all the time.
I like Dieter and I think that he and Boehm at Center are building blocks. Good versatility with both as well, especially Dieter.

Will he start next season as the starter? I know he’s taking his rookie pounding, but some games he’s looked awful. He might get relegated to backup next season. I would not be surprised if Miami has 5 all new starters on the O-line next season. At least he seems durable.

The Senior Bowl practices sealed the deal for me. I was all about the Wisconsin o-line history. Then I watched each of them get manhandled.

Back
Top Bottom