Michigan ahead of Florida how exactly? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michigan ahead of Florida how exactly?

Phinz420

The Resident Hitman
Reaction score
Im having a hard time deciphering the logistics of the BCS. I understand that it is supposed to be a mixture of the polls & calculation of strength of schedule. Somehow, the latter goes completly out the window when determining the BCS.

Lets just take a look at who they have played.

Michigan 2006 Schedule DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME
09/02VanderbiltW 27-7
09/09C MichiganW 41-17
09/16at #2 N DameW 47-21
09/23WisconsinW 27-13
09/30at MinnesotaW 28-14
10/07Mich StW 31-13
10/14at Penn StateW 17-10
10/21IowaW 20-6
10/28N'westernW 17-3
11/04Ball StW 34-26
11/11at IndianaW 34-3
11/18at #1 Ohio StL 42-39

So they beat Notre Dame and lose to the only other ranked team on their schedule in OSU, but somehow they are ranked ahead of Florida?

2006 Schedule DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME
09/02So MissW 34-7
09/09C FloridaW 42-0
09/16at #13 TennesseeW 21-20
09/23KentuckyW 26-7
09/30AlabamaW 28-13
10/07#9 LSUW 23-10
10/14at #11 AuburnL 27-17
10/28at GeorgiaW 21-14
11/04at VanderbiltW 25-19
11/11S CarolinaW 17-16
11/18W CarolinaW 62-0
11/25at Florida StW 21-14
12/02#5 Arkansas6:00 PM

It is obvious who has played and beaten more ranked teams. I am clueless as to how ESPN and other places conclude that Michigan's schedule is stronger. IF the Gators win the SEC, and USC drops to Notre Dame tonight, I can not possibly see how anyone could suggest Michigan deserves the title shot over Florida. There can even be an argument that FL is as deserving as USC because they lost to an unranked team.

Not only has Florida played and beaten better teams than Michigan, but they may actually win their division unlike Michigan. IMO there is no argument to support Michigan in the BCS title game except the really lame one about the score of their previous bout with OSU. Which Michigan fans seem to blow out of proportion in every debate.

Im not totally pissed off that Michigan fans think they truly deserve a rematch. What I am pissed off about is the fact that we are sitting here forced to argue over who should be playing for the national championship, when a properly done playoff system would decide all of this for us.

NCAA has some of the most exciting football to watch, its just a damn shame that there are some stubborn *******s that refuse to give the fans what they want, and that is an undisputed national champion.

i can't say UF's schedule is significantly better than michigan's. and i think places like sportsline has UM's schedule ranked higher anyway.

Please provide a link to where ESPN said Michigan had a stronger schedule than Florida. Thank you.

HysterikiLL said:
Please provide a link to where ESPN said Michigan had a stronger schedule than Florida. Thank you.

:rolleyes2

I was talking to the poster, not you, Joe.

HysterikiLL said:
I wish I could but while I was surfing FH there was a bit on ESPN discussing Michigan vs Florida. They had a part showing Florida with the #5 ranked schedule in the country while Michigan was #2.

This is part of what lead to my thread.

UF Fin Kat said:
i can't say UF's schedule is significantly better than michigan's. and i think places like sportsline has UM's schedule ranked higher anyway.

Even with having to play Arkansas for the SEC championship? Compared to Michigan sitting at home during their conference title because they lost to OSU?

Not to mention as well that IMO the teams FL played that are unranked are superior to most of the unranked teams that MI played.

I think Michigan did have a similar schedule, and they came within 3 points if the #1 team in the country on the road.

Florida played a couple more 'powerhouse' teams but Michigan played a lot of 'Solid' teams.

Phinz420 said:
I wish I could but while I was surfing FH there was a bit on ESPN discussing Michigan vs Florida. They had a part showing Florida with the #5 ranked schedule in the country while Michigan was #2.

This is part of what lead to my thread.

Okay, that's cool. Just hadn't heard it before. Suprising too, considering UF have 4 ranked opponents.

Michigan still do have a pretty strong sched. The Big 10 are consistent -- Iowa was I think 15th ranked when they played Michigan, Penn State are pretty solid, Minnesota have always been known to pull out an upset, same with MSU, Wisconsin are having a great season, and OSU speaks for itself. Still..

I do think though, that if ND beat USC, and UF wins the SEC, UF go to the Nat'l championship.

So they beat Notre Dame and lose to the only other ranked team on their schedule in OSU, but somehow they are ranked ahead of Florida?

uh...Wisconsin is ranked, so is PSU...

Back
Top Bottom