**** Michigan Football **** | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

**** Michigan Football ****

Demographics have lessened the talent in the midwest. Not a Colin Cowherd fan but he raises a good point about families moving out of the midwest as manufacturing there declines. I am not advocating closing the door on the midwest but you have to be attractive to kids in the south and west and need a guy that understands that. Been a long time since a Big Ten QB was drafted in the first round. Hackenberg should break that whenever he comes out.

Now if they could land Harbaugh you're getting a great coach and would attract top notch QB talent. I just don't see Jim coming to Michigan. I think the Raiders are his likely destination if he leaves SF.

I should rephrase from Midwest to Midwest and Northeast which has plenty of talent. The issue with Rod's recruiting was he focused more so on getting Florida kids the big Florida schools did not go after. He'd land kids in the Northeast too but most were late offers or kids that grew up Michigan fans. But a good thing Brady did was rebuilding the Glennville relationship with Ginn Sr.

So Mad Dog, what do you think of a guy like Dave Doeren or his NIU replacement Rod Carey as potential replacements? Both come from the Barry Alvarez tree and both have blended pro with spread tendencies.

I should rephrase from Midwest to Midwest and Northeast which has plenty of talent. The issue with Rod's recruiting was he focused more so on getting Florida kids the big Florida schools did not go after. He'd land kids in the Northeast too but most were late offers or kids that grew up Michigan fans. But a good thing Brady did was rebuilding the Glennville relationship with Ginn Sr.

So Mad Dog, what do you think of a guy like Dave Doeren or his NIU replacement Rod Carey as potential replacements? Both come from the Barry Alvarez tree and both have blended pro with spread tendencies.
I don't know enough about either to comment. I'll have some reading to do. Your thoughts on them?

I don't know enough about either to comment. I'll have some reading to do. Your thoughts on them?

Well Doeren is in his 2nd year at NC State. They only won 3 games last year but they didn't have a QB. This year they have Jacory Brissett and almost upset Florida State this weekend. He also coached NIU to the Orange Bowl 2 years ago.

Carey was his OL coach and OC at NIU and replaced him. Maybe a bit too inexperienced for Michigan but he's a oyung guy that has an OL background.

The issue becomes too many fans don't want a "mid major" coach and only want a big name. A big name is unlikely even if Michigan was at it's top. You have to be open to younger coaches that are proving themselves. Michigan is still a desirable job but the targets should be a young coach looking to move up, not an old coach who you'd have to pay a leg and an arm to get.

H
Well Doeren is in his 2nd year at NC State. They only won 3 games last year but they didn't have a QB. This year they have Jacory Brissett and almost upset Florida State this weekend. He also coached NIU to the Orange Bowl 2 years ago.

Carey was his OL coach and OC at NIU and replaced him. Maybe a bit too inexperienced for Michigan but he's a oyung guy that has an OL background.

The issue becomes too many fans don't want a "mid major" coach and only want a big name. A big name is unlikely even if Michigan was at it's top. You have to be open to younger coaches that are proving themselves. Michigan is still a desirable job but the targets should be a young coach looking to move up, not an old coach who you'd have to pay a leg and an arm to get.
Arrogance is a result of years of success and runs rampant in Ann Arbor. Surprisingly most fans forget about Michigan hiring Bo and his background before the hire. Harbaugh is my only preference if a big name is the target. I'm the opposite of the majority and would much rather look at a young guy moving up. My fear is that Brandon conducts the hire and eliminates guys because of they're not being a big name or familiar with the tradition.

If Jim Harbaugh leaves SanFran I think he's more likely to go to Michigan than Miami. His wife is not pregnant like she was the last time around, his oldest son is now done with college (another reason he didn't want to move), and his other daughters are a bit older. Apparently his wife has also given her blessing to move out of SoCal.

If Brandon is allowed to conduct the interview (as he may get fired) I think he'll reach out.

Wasn't aware of his wife's accepting a move out of Cali. That certainly changes location but I'm not convinced Jim would do a Saban and go back to college.

Not sure, rumors are he prefers coaching in college but not to the levels of needing control like Saban did. He always wanted to try the pros though.

rumors are the legal team for the university is preparing a case to fire Brady Hoke for negligence on how he handled Shane Morris and if that were to happen they would not owe Brady money at all.

Sounds like Brandon is about to throw Hoke under the bus. How in the world he could allow his coach to speak to the media with no knowledge of the concussion diagnosis is outrageous. Not excusing Hoke's ignorance but there is a clear disconnect between the two and it's time for the president to step in and pull the trigger on both. Good read below.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/ind...brady_hoke_appears_unsu_1.html#incart_m-rpt-2

If Brandon is allowed to conduct the interview (as he may get fired) I think he'll reach out.
Based on what is transpiring no one may want to come to Michigan if Brandon is in place.

the whole thing there is iffy. Some think Brandon was showing support to Hoke some think he's throwing him under the bus. But Brandon may not be at Michigan much longer either, who knows.

the whole thing there is iffy. Some think Brandon was showing support to Hoke some think he's throwing him under the bus. But Brandon may not be at Michigan much longer either, who knows.
If Brandon is in meetings about this all day why isn't Hoke with him or not at least briefed? I am inclined to believe that a guy that hides for a couple of days then releases a midnight statement is trying to look out for himself.

Hopefully they're both gone but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon nor do I think Brandon gets fired. I can see Michigan announcing that he is leaving for another position.

Now if the Morris family was to retain legal counsel about a lawsuit that changes everything. I am sure there are some shysters out there reaching out to them.

MGoBlog starting to keep track of coaches they'd look at

http://mgoblog.com/content/coaching-candidates-part-1-power-5#more

Mullen I know has been sending feelers to job openings in the Power Conferences for the last few years (including Penn State twice). I think he's done admirable at Miss State all things considered.

Mike Gundy I'd love to get and I know he's at least listened to offers to leave Stillwater, but as they mention he's an Okie State guy and T Boone Pickens will do whatever it takes to get him to stay there.

I could see Todd Graham jump at the opportunity but based on connections I have to players from the University of Pitt, I have ill feelings towards Graham for how he did them dirty.

I like Butch Jones and think he's starting to turn things around for the Vols, but he's a bit of a tough sell right now.

David Shaw would be a slam dunk hire but only way he leaves Palo Alto is for the NFL.

I like what Kevin Wilson is doing offensively but I can't support hiring him as a Michigan head coach.

Of the other names mentioned there are guys I like (Helfrich,Cryst,and Anderson) but I doubt based on their current situations they'd come or we'd get them.

Of course, those are just Power 5 conference head coaches that the writer suggests looking at. There will be more options.

But as the writer says, he's not gonna cover pipedream hires or guys over 60.

I read the blog and like the thought of Mullins and Butch Jones but I hope they don't narrow it to just the power 5 conferences. I am really liking the thought of McElwain more each day.

I read the comments and as expected, the pipe dreams and big names are what the majority of fans are clamoring for. There was one guy who mentioned the name Craig Bohl from North Dakota. Guy has 3 national championships in a horrible place to live (sorry to any ND natives). Ohio State was successful with Tressel out of Younstown State and no reason to believe this guy couldn't move up. Of course I'll have to read about him but the point is, I prefer a guy who coaches up lesser talent than a guy who gets by with 4 and 5 star recruits. We have that now and he isn't even getting by.

Back
Top Bottom