Mike Lombardi of NFL Network | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Lombardi of NFL Network

Peas wouldn't be too bad. He struggled a bit this year, and struggling was an 11th overall defense. Big problem IMO was the Pats did a very poor job replacing LBs this season and the secondary was very young.

Peas is another guy whome is a highly respected LB coach.

they traded Seymour and perhaps he felt like moving on because of that and all that went down

I like Peas better than Groh and Paqualoni

I also like to talk out of my *** like I know who is better/best:lol:

Now on NFL Total Access, Mike Lombardi says, "Miami has INTEREST in Pees as DC"; and that they want to make the right choice, so they might be doing many more interviews and take their time ... and it could take awhile before Miami makes a choice... His remarks were very different than the ones' he made earlier at 5pm on "Around the League" ... not sure what to make of the change!!!

Is it normal for clubs to bring in coaches they have no intention of hiring for just a little bit of info? I could see if the old coaches or current coaches were coming in with the playbook but you know there not getting much, either way im curious.

Is it normal for clubs to bring in coaches they have no intention of hiring for just a little bit of info? I could see if the old coaches or current coaches were coming in with the playbook but you know there not getting much, either way im curious.

Sometimes you bring guys in that are gaining a reputation to see what you think, but it's also a process of helping guys get their names out there. Part of me agrees with CK when he says Todd Bowles is the choice and has been from the beginning, but part of me also thinks that Sparano and Ireland want to bring something different to the table. A lot of HCs say that the best cordinators are guys that are willing to stand up to the HC. Crennell and Weis did it in New England, Ken Whisenhunt did in Pittsburgh, Rex Ryan did in Baltimore, his brother Rob has done it in Oakland and Cleveland, and Todd Haley did in Arizona. Now you don't want somebody whose just out there for himself (Mike Martz while in Detroit and SanFran), but you want somebody who knows what they want to do. Look at the weird adjustments Pasqualoni would make. 3-4 defenses are not supposed to be vanilla. Neither are 4-3s, but you can get away with that in the Tampa 2... but that's a different discussion.

As I've been saying since Paul got fired, he's too reliant on the OLBs for pressure, and drops the ILBs too far in coverage. He was basically running a Jim Bates version for the 3-4.

there is due dilligence and there is striking while the iron is hot

looks like we are looking to keep farting around

we're gonna interview Tom Olivadotti and the corpse of Bill Arnspager and then end of promoting Bowles in March

there is due dilligence and there is striking while the iron is hot

looks like we are looking to keep farting around

we're gonna interview Tom Olivadotti and the corpse of Bill Arnspager and then end of promoting Bowles in March

not always just farting around. Sometimes it's better to take your time than rush to a hire. I bet you everybody wishes we would've taken our time looking for an OC when Scott Linehan left instead of hiring Mike Mularkey.

Now on NFL Total Access, Mike Lombardi says, "Miami has INTEREST in Pees as DC"; and that they want to make the right choice, so they might be doing many more interviews and take their time ... and it could take awhile before Miami makes a choice... His remarks were very different than the ones' he made earlier at 5pm on "Around the League" ... not sure what to make of the change!!!
I don't think they will take a long time to make this decision. I would think they definitely want somebody before the Senior Bowl practices begin in just over a week away. They are not going to want to enter that game without a DC. They may wait until after the weekend to see what team's lose and see what possible candidates will come available. I would say be Wednesday we should have our DC.

they traded Seymour and perhaps he felt like moving on because of that and all that went down

I like Peas better than Groh and Paqualoni

I also like to talk out of my *** like I know who is better/best:lol:

:hi5: Hey...you sound like me, do like I do use a lot of comma's and exclamation points and it makes you look legit!!!!!! :up:

:hi5: Hey...you sound like me, do like I do use a lot of comma's and exclamation points and it makes you look legit!!!!!! :up:

Mora told me I would never know, but I keep thinking I do

Sometimes you bring guys in that are gaining a reputation to see what you think, but it's also a process of helping guys get their names out there. Part of me agrees with CK when he says Todd Bowles is the choice and has been from the beginning, but part of me also thinks that Sparano and Ireland want to bring something different to the table. A lot of HCs say that the best cordinators are guys that are willing to stand up to the HC. Crennell and Weis did it in New England, Ken Whisenhunt did in Pittsburgh, Rex Ryan did in Baltimore, his brother Rob has done it in Oakland and Cleveland, and Todd Haley did in Arizona. Now you don't want somebody whose just out there for himself (Mike Martz while in Detroit and SanFran), but you want somebody who knows what they want to do. Look at the weird adjustments Pasqualoni would make. 3-4 defenses are not supposed to be vanilla. Neither are 4-3s, but you can get away with that in the Tampa 2... but that's a different discussion.

As I've been saying since Paul got fired, he's too reliant on the OLBs for pressure, and drops the ILBs too far in coverage. He was basically running a Jim Bates version for the 3-4.

This too has been my issue with Paul. I felt like he was trying to run a 3-4 as if it were a 4-3 (with the LB's the equivalent of defensive ends). It was irritating because the whole advantage of the 3-4 in pass defense is the ability to better disguise coverages. Yet, it seemed like PP would continue to send the 3 d-linemen and one (or two max) other plays, usually either Taylor or Porter.

As I brought up a long time ago in another thread, if PP was so insistent on being that predictable and plain with his defense, he should have just converted the unit in the offseason to the 4-3, allowing guys like Starks/Langford/McDaniel to become DT's and Wake/JT/Moses to move to DE (all players in a more natural position for their skill set). But the 3-4/4-3 argument is another story all-together.

Pasqualoni seemed like a really cool/nice guy, but as a coach he was infuriating. Sometimes I'd swear I was watching Wanny/Bates style conservative philosophies:jcane: . I still miss the hybrid defense run by Saban while he was here. Hopefully we can find our next defensive guru soon (and pray that he won't bolt to the college ranks when the opportunity presents itself:rolleyes2:).

One thing about NE's defense is they never get out schemed (except for the unleashing of the Wildcat), their always well prepared and the only thing lately holding them back is a lack of talent.

Bill Belicheat runs the defense in NE, lets not kid ourselfs. IMO they are interviewing guys to make sure they get the right fit. I think they want Bowles, but like the job he does as Asst HC better, plus he's a great teacher and good at making adjustments during the game. If they make him DC he couldnt handle what Tony needs him to do as asst HC, which means tony will have to fill that job also plus the secondary coach. IMO they are trying to find a DC outside first if they cant then they will make Bowles the DC and bring Pees in as def backs coach and help with game planning and Sparano will have to train another guy off the staff to be his asst.

Bill Belicheat runs the defense in NE, lets not kid ourselfs. IMO they are interviewing guys to make sure they get the right fit. I think they want Bowles but like the job he does as Asst HC better plus he's a great teacher and a good at making adjustments during the game. If they make him DC he couldnt handle what Tony needs him to do asst HC. IMO they are trying to find a DC outside first if they cant then they will make Bowles the DC and bring Pees in as def backs coach and help with game planning.

Belicheck has responsibilities beyond the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure he has a lot of input, without a doubt. However, being a HC often prevents an individual from truly calling all the shots on one side of the ball or another. If Pees had no impact on New England's defensive success, why are guys like Mangini and Crennel so regarded throughout the league? Whether or not Pees/Crennel/Mangini are HC material is not the point. All three are good defensive minds who learned under a defensive genius in Belicheck. As pointed out by another poster, Saban wanted Pees as part of his defensive staff (for DC perhaps?) and Saban (love or hate him) knows his s*** on the defensive side of the ball.

If Pees were brought here, I'd be willing to bet its as DC and NOT a position coach. Not only would position coach be a DEMOTION for him (I'm sure other teams in the league would be interested in having him as DC) but he would likely coach linebackers, as I believe that to be his specialty, not the defensive backs.

What this is becoming is a joke, you fire a guy and have no certainty you can get the guy you want! thats bad business IMO.

I will firmly believe they thought they could get Butler and had no real backup plan, the question now becomes as it always is....whoever replaces Pasqualoni is he better? the fact is PP had a decent defense in '08 and not many where clamering for his termination.

So I will leave this subject alone for awhile because Im a little conserned that this FO has F'd up, with all due respect to the guys here who know more than me but I dont like this its a bad sign you shouldnt have to offer the job to someone that wont accept its silly.

We know that Groh & Butler were interviewed then an offer extended to Butler, thus Groh accepting Ga.Tech so they blew it wasting time on a guy who's heart wasnt in coming here & in todays world you can know that long before you sit down and talk.

Lastly interviewing guys to "pick his brain" c'mon how much info is Dean Pees going to give up? he's worked for Belicheck a long time he's not oing to burn bridges plus Parcells knows BB so thats rediculous IMO.

What this is becoming is a joke, you fire a guy and have no certainty you can get the guy you want! thats bad business IMO.

I will firmly believe they thought they could get Butler and had no real backup plan, the question now becomes as it always is....whoever replaces Pasqualoni is he better? the fact is PP had a decent defense in '08 and not many where clamering for his termination.

So I will leave this subject alone for awhile because Im a little conserned that this FO has F'd up, with all due respect to the guys here who know more than me but I dont like this its a bad sign you shouldnt have to offer the job to someone that wont accept its silly.

We know that Groh & Butler were interviewed then an offer extended to Butler, thus Groh accepting Ga.Tech so they blew it wasting time on a guy who's heart wasnt in coming here & in todays world you can know that long before you sit down and talk.

Lastly interviewing guys to "pick his brain" c'mon how much info is Dean Pees going to give up? he's worked for Belicheck a long time he's not oing to burn bridges plus Parcells knows BB so thats rediculous IMO.

As at least one poster has already pointed out, we do not know for certain that all offers for the DC job were turned down. If the "sources" we have to go by that, for example, claimed Butler turned down the job was a local Pittsburgh paper, I find that credibility very minimal. I believe it was CK who said that some of the reports are just assumptions made up by the media. To paraphrase what he said, he noted that often a candidate who was interviewed but not offered a job will try to save face by claiming it was HE who turned the team down, not the other way around. Given the nature of our culture here in America, I find this situation to be very likely. Groh may have been given the DC job, but this too is not a certainty. Outside of media and their 'sources', much of this remains uncertain, so we should not quickly assume (and thus judge) the FO for decisions we don't know that they are making.

Oh, and I do not know how everyone defines "picking" someone's brain, but I was referring to this action ONLY in the instance Pees is hired as DC, not in just an interview. It isn't burning bridges if you work for a new employer is it?

I understand your frustration with the seeming lack of moves (not to mention those that are seemingly being made are questionable sometimes). However, firing Paul Pasqualoni was the right move heading forward. Retaining him would have been a mistake in the longterm. Again, you should refrain from assuming the FO did not have a plan in place when they fired PP. Just because we don't have "our man" yet doesn't mean we won't have him soon.

For now, I believe the FO is making progress. Have guarded optimism. This FO does not seem content in making mistakes. If they screw up, they do not take long to rectify the situation.

Back
Top Bottom