Mike Lombardi of NFL Network | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Lombardi of NFL Network

plus you have no idea who we are interested in. Lets say we want Vic Fangio of the Ravens to be our DC, we can't come out and say that because it's technically tampering until we ask for permission to interview him. However, we can't get permission since Baltimore is not out of the playoffs yet. There for, Baltimore could pursue tampering charges and we can lose draft picks.

We can only interview people who either are not employed by another NFL franchise (Groh, and Pees) or we get permission from said franchise (Butler). Who knows if we've asked anybody else for permission. Pittsburgh's news writers broke the story on Keith Butler long before the Miami writers knew. A lot of people don't bother saying whose been interviewed unless it's a big name or until they've been hired.

Points well taken, my point of view is that in most reports it was stated miami wanted the hire done by the weekend.

Groh & Butler were known candidates now Dean Pees wasnt even available when PP was fired, just hire a great coach

Points well taken, my point of view is that in most reports it was stated miami wanted the hire done by the weekend.

Groh & Butler were known candidates now Dean Pees wasnt even available when PP was fired, just hire a great coach

I understand, what you are saying but sometimes these things aren't as easy as hire somebody by the end of the week. The Bears wanted to have their staff done by now, and thought last week that Perry Fewell was gonna be their DC, but he signed with the Giants. The only reason we got Bowles, Rogers, and Pasquoloni so quick was their contracts all ran out and Wade Phillips wanted to put his own staff together (from reports, Sparano and Bowles were the only guys he really wanted to keep).

To me, this is more exciting because it gives us something to talk about and speculate.

I was only passing along info i heard on NFL Network; about the Pees interview, and picking his brain!!! it doesn't matter what we fans believe to be true or not .. all i was doing was passing info on to other fans ... If Mike Lombardi says something interesting, I'm sure we'd all listen... and do what we all do best and that's discuss it in the forum ... as for Pees', I don't see anything wrong with him as a possible DC ... i trust the hated Saban and Belichek, in determining who has a good defensive mind ... and it wouldn't surprise me if Pees WOWS!!! BP and Company ... IMHO Pees fits the system, he knows the 3-4 ... and in-spite of having injuries and young players on his defense, NE STILL finished #11 on defense .. i think that is a very solid achievement on the part of Pees' ...

Given that Bowles seems like our only remaining option at the moment (or was the pick all along, depending on your opinion), I wouldn't mind Pees as our new DC. I could be wrong, but Pees and his defense went against Brady and Co. in practice every day. This may prove a valuable tool against the Patriots for the next few seasons if he has any inside knowledge of NE's ways on offense. At this point, Butler was the sexy pick. But with him seemingly staying in Pitt and Groh/Crennel already elsewhere, Bowles and Pees would not be terrible hires as DC.
Oh yes they would!!! I don't have any candidates in mind because the NFL as a whole has not had too many 3-4 schemes over the last 15 years until lately. If Jim Hassslett is available, he is best candidate for a 3-4 scheme. Even as players, neither Todd Bowles nor Winston Moss ever played in a 3-4 scheme.

I find it a bit odd that we suddenly think our FO shares any of their real thoughts or plans with the media. Since when did Parcells take an interest in having the media informed about anything that could even remotely impact his leverage in a situation?

Oh yes they would!!! I don't have any candidates in mind because the NFL as a whole has not had too many 3-4 schemes over the last 15 years until lately. If Jim Hassslett is available, he is best candidate for a 3-4 scheme. Even as players, neither Todd Bowles nor Winston Moss ever played in a 3-4 scheme.

I never suggested Winston Moss for the record, but that doesn't mean he would make a bad hire. I don't know why you have this idea that playing in a 3-4 means you can run it better than someone who never has. For example, could one of our players run the scheme when they retire better than, lets say, Keith Butler? Probably not. Bowles learned about the scheme somewhere along the line and while it's not a definite he'd run the 3-4, he shouldn't just be written off because he's never played it. He's learned about it from his multiple stops with a number of teams. Haslett was better known for his 4-3 schemes last I recall, and he was just hired as DC for Washington I believe.

Pees wouldn't be bad. He didn't have a whole hell of a lot to work with this year and their D still managed to be ranked #11. Not too bad.

Its interesting how now Dean Pees becomes somewhat a sexy choice for the record I have no personal choice(didnt even care one way or another about Butler) but for all the reasons Butler appealed to so many his background with an attacking defense.
Pees and New England to me are more known for schemes than attacking so again I feel all becomes perception once again.

I think accepting the offer to coach in the Senior Bowl is really going to **** us.

We have to find a DC at least a week before the Senior Bowl I would imagine. Let's just hope a few good teams get eliminated this weekend so we can find ourselves a nice DC.

I think accepting the offer to coach in the Senior Bowl is really going to **** us.

We have to find a DC at least a week before the Senior Bowl I would imagine. Let's just hope a few good teams get eliminated this weekend so we can find ourselves a nice DC.

Maybe Bowles could fill in as DC for just that game?

they likely have tons of "candidates for interviews", doesn't mean it's probable a particular one will get an interview or that the interest either way is serious. much ado about nothing.

whos the ravens defensive coordinator. is he just a product of inheriting rex ryans defense, and the ravens defensive players.

would he become available. would he be worth a hoot?

whos the ravens defensive coordinator. is he just a product of inheriting rex ryans defense, and the ravens defensive players.

would he become available. would he be worth a hoot?

The Ravens D has been great with Marvin Lewis way back in 2000, then it was great with Mike Nolan, then it was great with Rex Ryan, and it's above average with Mattison. Bottom line, Ozzie Newsome has drafted some very good players (Duane Starks, Chris McAllister, Peter Bouleware, Jaime Sharper, Haloti Ngata, Terrelle Suggs) and two future Hall of Famers (Rey Lewis and Ed Reed). That's not even mentioning guys like Bart Scott, Jarrett Johnson, Marques Douglass, Antwan Barnes, and Dawan Landry who are all very talented overlooked players. Hell guys like Tom Zbikowski, Haruki Nakamura, Prescott Burgess, and Paul Kruger all could develop into good players knowing Baltimore's luck with defensive players this decade. I could be DC with that talent Ozzie gives Baltimore and people would be talking about a 20 year old genius coach.

So in short, no it's not because of Rex. The D has been great since Marvin Lewis, and will continue to be great as long as Rey Lewis is still playing at a high level and Ozzie Newsome keeps adding solid pieces.

Back
Top Bottom