Mike Mayock Predicts T.J. Watt at 22 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Mayock Predicts T.J. Watt at 22

Just like ive been hoping, Malik hookers lack of showing anything since January has him dropping near our range. I have a feeling he will drop a little closer to our pick than most of us expect. I think he may still be there in the teens.

I'd be happy with TJ Watt. I think he'd be a fan favorite too. I'd take him over Charlton in a second.

If his name was TJ Smith instead of TJ Watt, would everyone be rushing to anoint him as a future star? Does his actual game performance warrant the excitement or are they banking on him improving to play like his brother JJ?

If his name was TJ Smith instead of TJ Watt, would everyone be rushing to anoint him as a future star? Does his actual game performance warrant the excitement or are they banking on him improving to play like his brother JJ?

You sound like the guy On the Finside

Great question. I think his bloodline carries him into more conversations than is deserved. Especially considering his inexperience with just one year as a starter. He would have benefited from another year at the collegiate level but he probably wants to get paid in the NFL now out of fear of being re-injured as he missed all of 2014 with a knee injury.

I'd see Watt as a SLB in year one and potentially a DE after bulking up a little more.

I will be ecstatic if we draft TJ Watt. IMHO, he's going to be a true star in this league. Dominant pass rusher and all around excellent football player. He can play SAM and shift to DE on passing downs, or be a movable chess piece as a pass rushing LB. He can cover big TE's and he's got great functional strength. Diagnoses extremely well, instantaneously reads and diagnoses and translates it to his feet. Fundamentally sound technician despite not having a lot of experience, and a great tackler. He's durable, big, physical, fast, good explosion, tested fantastically and you see that in the film. I see him play much like his brother but an inch or so shorter and 50 lbs lighter and a good step quicker. He really seems like the SAM version of JJ Watt.

If we draft TJ Watt, he'll get me as excited about our defense as Jason Taylor did ... just incredibly impressive to watch. Alas, the Dolphins always find a way to draft the bust and avoid obvious great players like TJ Watt, so I'm not holding out much hope we'll draft him.

Mayock has flipped before on who he thinks Miami will take. He'll probably flip flop more tomorrow night.

I will be ecstatic if we draft TJ Watt. IMHO, he's going to be a true star in this league. Dominant pass rusher and all around excellent football player. He can play SAM and shift to DE on passing downs, or be a movable chess piece as a pass rushing LB. He can cover big TE's and he's got great functional strength. Diagnoses extremely well, instantaneously reads and diagnoses and translates it to his feet. Fundamentally sound technician despite not having a lot of experience, and a great tackler. He's durable, big, physical, fast, good explosion, tested fantastically and you see that in the film. I see him play much like his brother but an inch or so shorter and 50 lbs lighter and a good step quicker. He really seems like the SAM version of JJ Watt.

If we draft TJ Watt, he'll get me as excited about our defense as Jason Taylor did ... just incredibly impressive to watch. Alas, the Dolphins always find a way to draft the bust and avoid obvious great players like TJ Watt, so I'm not holding out much hope we'll draft him.

Amazing the differences in opinions on some players.

1. Dominant pass rusher? Are you just going off his published stats? Most of his sacks came after plays broke down or him cleaning up after teammates.

2. Where do you see the on tape that he "diagnosises extremely well" and "instantaneously reads"?

3. Fundamentally sound technician? In what areas? When defending the run he struggles to disengage and is often washed out due to lack of strength and high pad level. As a pass rusher he is also, and obviously, very raw with little to no plan of attack and is very inconsistent w/ stiff hips.

4. Durable? You know he missed the entire 2014 season with a knee injury, right?

All serious questions and comments. I want to know where you see this. Was there a game(s) that stood out to you despite him being so raw as only a one year starter? Or are you just going off a conglomeration of positives listed in other's draft profiles. Inquiring minds want to know. At least this one, anyways.

If you combined TJ Watt and Malik Hooker, do you end up with TJ Hooker?

MV5BMTcyNzI4NDc0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQxMjAzMQ@@._V1._CR8,34,327,457_UY268_CR5,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I see your TJ Hooker and raise you one Fish Taco (Abe Vigoda + Taco Charlton).

I think the questions are how soon will he be a star and in what system will he flourish best? For Miami, who might not need a starting SAM in Week 1 with Misi back, but who might need one in Week 2 with Misi injured, it's a big risk. Even more so given our scheme and our division. We need a good coverage LB for TEs, RBs and receivers crossing the box. We don't have one in Kiko or Timmons, yet we're in a division where the champ kills us every year by targeting the back of the box in the passing game. TJ so far looks a great LB in forward gears, but there's not much out there to confirm his coverage ability and his pursuit (speed, angles, technique).

It depends how badly everyone wants to replace Misi Week 1. But I would caution that Reddick is probably not the answer either. He's being projected too high based off of athleticism and drills. He has yet to play a single down as an off-LOS backer. He looks like he was born for it, but that's a cliche a lot of top prospects have had thrown back in their faces 3 years later.

Tyus Bowser for me is the closest thing to a fit for our SAM/Coverage backer needs and if his name was Watt would probably be a first round prospect also.

I think the questions are how soon will he be a star and in what system will he flourish best? For Miami, who might not need a starting SAM in Week 1 with Misi back, but who might need one in Week 2 with Misi injured, it's a big risk. Even more so given our scheme and our division. We need a good coverage LB for TEs, RBs and receivers crossing the box. We don't have one in Kiko or Timmons, yet we're in a division where the champ kills us every year by targeting the back of the box in the passing game. TJ so far looks a great LB in forward gears, but there's not much out there to confirm his coverage ability and his pursuit (speed, angles, technique).

It depends how badly everyone wants to replace Misi Week 1. But I would caution that Reddick is probably not the answer either. He's being projected too high based off of athleticism and drills. He has yet to play a single down as an off-LOS backer. He looks like he was born for it, but that's a cliche a lot of top prospects have had thrown back in their faces 3 years later.

Tyus Bowser for me is the closest thing to a fit for our SAM/Coverage backer needs and if his name was Watt would probably be a first round prospect also.

Dudes got amazing highlights but consider this article..http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/4/15/15297736/tyus-bowser-edge-athletically-gifted-but-raw-as-sushi

This guy is critiquing Bowser as a 3-4 pass rushing LB. Putting aside the fact the poster sounds no more able to assess players than anyone else on any football forum, his concerns pertain to skills we wouldn't be drafting Bowser for. Certainly not the primary skills we want - read the offense, set the edge, beat blocks, pursue and tackle through trash, fill gaps, blitz, cover TEs RBs Slots....

Bowser has College film showing him do all of that, even if his primary role was to rush the passer. Neither Watt nor Reddick have that so evaluators have to project those gameday abilities onto them. Makes #22 a little rich for both, unless you are happy to take time to develop them and accept the inherent risk.

Back
Top Bottom