Mike Mayock Predicts T.J. Watt at 22 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Mayock Predicts T.J. Watt at 22

If his name was TJ Smith instead of TJ Watt, would everyone be rushing to anoint him as a future star? Does his actual game performance warrant the excitement or are they banking on him improving to play like his brother JJ?

I think there is a lot of truth to this. I'm not so sure Watt is two rounds better than his team mate, Biegal.

Those were some sick coverage skills...and yeah, I thought the style of the article read like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force as a Giants fan. I don't know, looks like he's got defensive back feet with swoll linebacker arms. Quick and agile as hell, though, that's pretty obvious from his combine YouTube.

*- in response to finthirteen on Tyus Bowser

He had 1 real year at Wisconsin where he did anything. That scares me

Great question. I think his bloodline carries him into more conversations than is deserved. Especially considering his inexperience with just one year as a starter. He would have benefited from another year at the collegiate level but he probably wants to get paid in the NFL now out of fear of being re-injured as he missed all of 2014 with a knee injury.

Can't teach or coach genetics. It's not just measurables. What makes many players great are intangibles such as work ethic, instincts (feel for the game). Matthews family is an example
I've never spent time watching Wisconsin football, but from what I've read he has the measurables and athleticism to succeed, coupled with the proper mental makeup (very important and often overlooked). The mental aspect means he can adapt and be coached. He would be a solid pick IMO.
Having said all that, I think Malik McDowell is the pick. The FO seems to value Dline and have talked about DE and DT. McDowell can play anywhere along the line and Gase seems to love versatility.
I think it will come down to how he interviewed and if they believe they can unleash his potential.

I would personally rather have Jarrad Davis than TJ Watt, but as long as we address the need with signifigant long term talent, I will be happy. I feel like we could trade back and pick up another pick and still get Watt as oppose to grabbing him at 22. JMO

He had 1 real year at Wisconsin where he did anything. That scares me

I feel the same way. His film is pretty electric, and measurable very very good, but the fact that he only really produced for a year, and has a significant injury history gives me pause along with his potential fit for our defense. I wouldn't cry if we took him because he has a pretty high ceiling even compared to the great edge talent in this draft. But I also think he's more of a high risk/high reward type prospect, and a less safe pick than a lot of other guys that will be available to us.

Don't hate Watt but I wouldn't be too happy if we picked him at 22. Too much talent with more than a year experience will be available there.

Amazing the differences in opinions on some players.

1. Dominant pass rusher? Are you just going off his published stats? Most of his sacks came after plays broke down or him cleaning up after teammates.

2. Where do you see the on tape that he "diagnosises extremely well" and "instantaneously reads"?

3. Fundamentally sound technician? In what areas? When defending the run he struggles to disengage and is often washed out due to lack of strength and high pad level. As a pass rusher he is also, and obviously, very raw with little to no plan of attack and is very inconsistent w/ stiff hips.

4. Durable? You know he missed the entire 2014 season with a knee injury, right?

All serious questions and comments. I want to know where you see this. Was there a game(s) that stood out to you despite him being so raw as only a one year starter? Or are you just going off a conglomeration of positives listed in other's draft profiles. Inquiring minds want to know. At least this one, anyways.

just reading his draft profile they analyze him as having great hand work and disengaging well ....obviously i saw your post above that you make your own analysis but there are some stark difference between what you're seeing and what's written...i have had watt off my radar completely so i am a blank canvas on the kid but first whiff having someone who has the quickness to play the sam and strength to move into de would be a good tool....

i'll leave it to you guys just very excited on this most holy of days (draft day)

I am fine with Watt if we traded down in the late first round (and received an extra pick or two) before drafting him.

just reading his draft profile they analyze him as having great hand work and disengaging well ....obviously i saw your post above that you make your own analysis but there are some stark difference between what you're seeing and what's written...i have had watt off my radar completely so i am a blank canvas on the kid but first whiff having someone who has the quickness to play the sam and strength to move into de would be a good tool....

i'll leave it to you guys just very excited on this most holy of days (draft day)

It's only contrary to some of the public profiles available on him. I'll just leave it at that. After all, it's a crap shoot and it's all opinions at this point.

I wonder is he's getting credit due to his last name. I'm tired of projects in round one. I actually don't believe he's the pick even if he's there at 22.

Ozzy rules!!

He's exactly the type of player Miami needs. Watt has the athletic skills and work ethic to turn into at least a good player. Plus, he gives the team some position versatility.

Will be interesting to see what the Dolphins do if Foster is still on the board.

Personally trading up is not an option. We need all Of our picks

You think even if a guy as talented as him is there?

I know we need every pick possible but he looks like he could be a complete star.

No way he makes it that far though.

I have no inside connections but me thinks that Watt is at the bottom of the list of Gase's preferred picks.

He may be on the list, but not at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom