Mike McD the OC. I’ve had my issues | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike McD the OC. I’ve had my issues

Didn't even have to pay for that 4th down gaff the defense pushed them back out of field goal range, he may do it again...

He is a much better coach this year vs last year, smart guy and this offense he created is next level good and we'll be copied thru out the league for years to come.

I was going to write this up tomorrow but Mach called me out tonight.
Ok, let me clarify something first because there are smart posters and then there are other posters who can’t comprehend what they’re reading.

Last season I made it clear that I didn’t care for Coach McD as an OC. I didn’t or never said I was against him as a HC. I just didn’t believe in a HC with dual roles. He made a ****-load of mistakes as a HC last season but I expected that and as a fan you need to be patient with it. But as an OC I just felt he ran the same passing plays to death and totally ignored the running game, and I felt he didn’t adjust to what teams were doing. Which I think was valid. I made it clear I wasn’t a fan of his play-calling which of course lead to numerous arguments here. A lot of mistakes were made by lack of game planning.

Fast forward to today. To be honest I was impressed with his plays week 1 against the Chargers. Although I wanted some more run plays but I was going to wait until week 6 to make judgements on his OC role. Anyway, today was mind blowing, but I was really impressed with McD last week up in NE that really won me over. One thing we know about BB, he loves to take away teams strengths on offense and he did by limiting damage from Ty Hill. But McD knew it going in and his game plan was impeccable with running the ball to death along with his short passing game. Not only that but Coach was patient with it and never waived from it. It was mind blowing impressive, especially a week after being on the west coast and then having to travel North. Two weeks on the road flying west, south then north.

Anyway today, I don’t even know what to call today. It was supercilious! Not only that, he ran the ****ing rock down their throats today. Broncos were gassed.

I’m on the record now that McD has won me over as the best play caller in the NFL today. Yes, it helps when your GM provides you with track star weapons, but he’s calling the game to win no matter what it takes

However, I do curse him when he goes into moron mode like with that 4th and inches I think on our 37. Ugh.
I wonder if a lot of the things you took issue with last year (and fairly- I remember your points from past posts) are just a part of the growing and implementation process. McD knows/knew what his team does/did best, and called what he thought was best at the time. He probably figured his running game wasn't there, and that probably caused him to lean toward, as they say, "players not plays".
There's definitely a learning curve involved in these things, and I think we were watching him go through it.
It's clear that the man has figured some things out, and I also think he always wanted to run the ball but the team just wasn't developed enough yet. I always figured, that once McDaniel had a second year to implement things, that we'd see an uptick in the running game this year.
I NEVER expected to see what I saw today.
I would love to be a fly on the wall in Buffalo's film room as they watch the tape from today's game.

I wonder if a lot of the things you took issue with last year (and fairly- I remember your points from past posts) are just a part of the growing and implementation process. McD knows/knew what his team does/did best, and called what he thought was best at the time. He probably figured his running game wasn't there, and that probably caused him to lean toward, as they say, "players not plays".
There's definitely a learning curve involved in these things, and I think we were watching him go through it.
It's clear that the man has figured some things out, and I also think he always wanted to run the ball but the team just wasn't developed enough yet. I always figured, that once McDaniel had a second year to implement things, that we'd see an uptick in the running game this year.
I NEVER expected to see what I saw today.
I would love to be a fly on the wall in Buffalo's film room as they watch the tape from today's game.
Great points all around dude

I was going to write this up tomorrow but Mach called me out tonight.
Ok, let me clarify something first because there are smart posters and then there are other posters who can’t comprehend what they’re reading.

Last season I made it clear that I didn’t care for Coach McD as an OC. I didn’t or never said I was against him as a HC. I just didn’t believe in a HC with dual roles. He made a ****-load of mistakes as a HC last season but I expected that and as a fan you need to be patient with it. But as an OC I just felt he ran the same passing plays to death and totally ignored the running game, and I felt he didn’t adjust to what teams were doing. Which I think was valid. I made it clear I wasn’t a fan of his play-calling which of course lead to numerous arguments here. A lot of mistakes were made by lack of game planning.

Fast forward to today. To be honest I was impressed with his plays week 1 against the Chargers. Although I wanted some more run plays but I was going to wait until week 6 to make judgements on his OC role. Anyway, today was mind blowing, but I was really impressed with McD last week up in NE that really won me over. One thing we know about BB, he loves to take away teams strengths on offense and he did by limiting damage from Ty Hill. But McD knew it going in and his game plan was impeccable with running the ball to death along with his short passing game. Not only that but Coach was patient with it and never waived from it. It was mind blowing impressive, especially a week after being on the west coast and then having to travel North. Two weeks on the road flying west, south then north.

Anyway today, I don’t even know what to call today. It was supercilious! Not only that, he ran the ****ing rock down their throats today. Broncos were gassed.

I’m on the record now that McD has won me over as the best play caller in the NFL today. Yes, it helps when your GM provides you with track star weapons, but he’s calling the game to win no matter what it takes

However, I do curse him when he goes into moron mode like with that 4th and inches I think on our 37. Ugh.
I've given you **** but welcome to the McDaniel bandwagon! :)

I will say that the 4th down run with Ingold was boneheaded but he'll learn from that lol

Last edited:
You call plays b/c you have confidence they will work. It's not as simple as just looking at a statistical spreadsheet. A good coach looks at the opponents tendencies and designs plays for situations. The coach's calculus has more to do with his confidence level as to how he thinks the D will play it and his confidence in the play he has to counter their strategy.

So reality is that McD will always have more info than we will. You either trust him or you don't. Personally, I think he's proven to be pretty good at designing game plans so I'm going to trust his judgment more than some statistical spread sheet.

I was going to write this up tomorrow but @Mach2 called me out tonight.

There are smart posters and then there’s the OP.

Too easy. Glad you are coming around on the offense though.

I was going to write this up tomorrow but @Mach2 called me out tonight.

WHAT A WASTE OF A THREAD!

MODS, PLEASE PUT THIS IN THE DEPTHS!

DO YOU THINK WE ALL DON’T THINK THIS?

I’m kidding.

Welcome to the McDaniel fanbase, Yeah. The 4th down call was bad. But he got away with it. So honk on bobo.

Nice win, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
McDaniel is proving to be the cream of the crop as far as play calling goes for sure, maybe we should try and be patient in a young coach's development, not expect him to hit the ground running year 1...guy is a fast learner!!

How about pick up 1 yard on two run plays?? I was okay with play call, just would have liked to see quick PA on 4th down. Offense gotta execute, every other team in the NFL makes 3rd or 4th and 1 look easy

You call plays b/c you have confidence they will work. It's not as simple as just looking at a statistical spreadsheet. A good coach looks at the opponents tendencies and designs plays for situations. The coach's calculus has more to do with his confidence level as to how he thinks the D will play it and his confidence in the play he has to counter their strategy.

So reality is that McD will always have more info than we will. You either trust him or you don't. Personally, I think he's proven to be pretty good at designing game plans so I'm going to trust his judgment more than some statistical spread sheet.
I was a fan if going for it but that whole these are pros they know more than you argument is dumb, coaches do obviously dumb things all the time.

Back
Top Bottom