Mike McD the OC. I’ve had my issues | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike McD the OC. I’ve had my issues

There’s no shame in changing positions because McD was a rookie play caller last season and took his lumps. Burning timeouts to avoid delay of games in the playoffs was especially frustrating.

Watch Tua’s post game presser from today. He talks on the second half about McD working in the off-season to get plays in much faster and (off memory) how that translates to more time for Tua to presnap process and the offense to run its motions.

McD is working at his craft like everyone on the team.

I was going to write this up tomorrow but @Mach2 called me out tonight.
Ok, let me clarify something first because there are smart posters and then there are other posters who can’t comprehend what they’re reading.

Last season I made it clear that I didn’t care for Coach McD as an OC. I didn’t or never said I was against him as a HC. I just didn’t believe in a HC with dual roles. He made a ****-load of mistakes as a HC last season but I expected that and as a fan you need to be patient with it. But as an OC I just felt he ran the same passing plays to death and totally ignored the running game, and I felt he didn’t adjust to what teams were doing. Which I think was valid. I made it clear I wasn’t a fan of his play-calling which of course lead to numerous arguments here. A lot of mistakes were made by lack of game planning.

Fast forward to today. To be honest I was impressed with his plays week 1 against the Chargers. Although I wanted some more run plays but I was going to wait until week 6 to make judgements on his OC role. Anyway, today was mind blowing, but I was really impressed with McD last week up in NE that really won me over. One thing we know about BB, he loves to take away teams strengths on offense and he did by limiting damage from Ty Hill. But McD knew it going in and his game plan was impeccable with running the ball to death along with his short passing game. Not only that but Coach was patient with it and never waived from it. It was mind blowing impressive, especially a week after being on the west coast and then having to travel North. Two weeks on the road flying west, south then north.

Anyway today, I don’t even know what to call today. It was supercilious! Not only that, he ran the ****ing rock down their throats today. Broncos were gassed.

I’m on the record now that McD has won me over as the best play caller in the NFL today. Yes, it helps when your GM provides you with track star weapons, but he’s calling the game to win no matter what it takes

However, I do curse him when he goes into moron mode like with that 4th and inches I think on our 37. Ugh.
No offense, (pun intended) but if you couldn't see how McDaniel improved this team last year than you are in the same boat as all the Tua haters, 100% naive.

Congratulations on opening your eyes

No offense, (pun intended) but if you couldn't see how McDaniel improved this team last year than you are in the same boat as all the Tua haters, 100% naive.

Congratulations on opening your eyes
You missed the point
Yeah it was an improvement but to me last year Hill and Waddle saved us along with Tua
McD and his play calling was the quick slant and the pass at the hash marks 25 yards down and a bomb every so often to Hill
Chargers and SF figured it out pretty quick and so did Bills later in the season
At the end of the day we finished 9-8 and it wasn’t that inspiring
He coulda not improved on his mistakes or he would, the jury was out till this season
Lucky for us he did fix his ****
This year is a complete different story

You missed the point
Yeah it was an improvement but to me last year Hill and Waddle saved us along with Tua
McD and his play calling was the quick slant and the pass at the hash marks 25 yards down and a bomb every so often to Hill
Chargers and SF figured it out pretty quick and so did Bills later in the season
This year is a complete different story
Yeah, no.

Tua was really bad in the Chargers and San Fran game, there were points all over the field that he missed. But you know, it happens, if Tua was on, the Dolphins win both those games. McDaniel hasn't really had a bad game yet IMO. Sure he had some clock management issues late in the year but other than that, he's been excellent.

Yeah, no.

Tua was really bad in the Chargers and San Fran game, there were points all over the field that he missed. But you know, it happens, if Tua was on, the Dolphins win both those games. McDaniel hasn't really had a bad game yet IMO. Sure he had some clock management issues late in the year but other than that, he's been excellent.
Woulda coulda shoulda
If my aunt had a dick she’d be my uncle
I don’t play the what if game, the defense troubled Tua enough to be off and McD was stubborn about the game plan and refused to adjust. And that is my point
It’s like he had a handful of plays to call and they weren’t working but he kept forcing those plays
Doesn’t matter now because he has a run game

McDaniel is proving to be the cream of the crop as far as play calling goes for sure, maybe we should try and be patient in a young coach's development, not expect him to hit the ground running year 1...guy is a fast learner!!

How about pick up 1 yard on two run plays?? I was okay with play call, just would have liked to see quick PA on 4th down. Offense gotta execute, every other team in the NFL makes 3rd or 4th and 1 look easy
I thought it was a very poor decision to go for it on your own 33 while winning a game by 11 points. If you get it, great. You still have to go 66 yards for a TD. If you don’t get it, you have to figure you’ve gifted the other team at least 3 free points at the worst - and made it a 1 score game + given up momentum. Then again, perhaps he knew just how bad Denver was and figured they’d go backwards on offense (they did) and not even get their 3. I doubt he does something like that in a truly contested game but who knows.

Woulda coulda shoulda
If my aunt had a dick she’d be my uncle
I don’t play the what if game, the defense troubled Tua enough to be off and McD was stubborn about the game plan and refused to adjust. And that is my point
It’s like he had a handful of plays to call and they weren’t working but he kept forcing those plays
Doesn’t matter now because he has a run game
This is 100% accurate IMO. We opened the Chargers game w 3 straight bombs that fell incomplete w nobody open. Last year’s offensive planning and game management were nowhere near where this offense is at now

Mike is unpredictable and the NFL is worried.
I loved the shovel passes. I remember in the early 80’s - 81’ or 82’ I think - the Jets had that fearsome pass rush known as the “NY Sack Exchange” w Mark Gassyhose and Joe Gecko. Shula implemented the shovel pass into the game plan as a way of negating those guys. They’d fire off the ball so fast and get upfield while Woodley was dropping back then bam, a little flick to Vigorito or Nathan and they were slashing for chunks. When it truly surprises defenses it’s fun

I just don’t get it - why on your own 33 when up by 11 points? I don’t understand the risk / reward profile there. That said, 70-20. 😂
MM is playing madden…. I don’t mean that facetiously.

I will refer to TikTok of his comedian buddy talking about them playing techmo bowl…. “Prime time. Prime time”

Back
Top Bottom