Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?

Wait are you suggesting Hurts doesn’t have the best Oline and weapons all around him

Because I think you just did

Carrie Brownstein Television GIF

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
Maybe they wanted to keep the D coaches and players intact since they finished strong last year thus taking some of the pressure off of a first-time head coach. It was our O that was a problem last year and we've gone a long way to fixing it this year. The move made perfect sense at the time.

Fangio didn't want to coach last year, he turned down multiple teams as he wanted to take the year off after being fired by the Broncos.

Who's the bunch of overpaid aging vets on big deals? Armstead and X? I look forward to your list.
This team has a lot of very good ascending young talent in place. We are not riddled with overpaid aging vets, ...

Prior to Chubb the Phins had 15 sacks in 8 games. In the 10 games with him, they had 32. Is that just a coincidence? There's more to it than just the stat line...

Listen, I'm not going to sit here and debunk your entire post, I just don't have the energy. Water under the bridge at this point but you do have the right to be miserable, not debating that... :shrug:

That trade up from 12 to 6 still irks me today. It wasn’t necessary. Waddle is good but not good for that trade up when he gets the dropsies every so often.
We have players from other countries doing the waddle. Dudes the best receiver from that draft. Who were we getting at 12?

- -Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

I understand your pain brother but seriously.....

Smith/Waddle - Waddle is better
Hurts/Tua- Both are good but both have weaknesses - jury is still out
Shanahan/McD getting calls in - True, but remember Shanahan has a LOT more years of experience calling plays and this was McD's virgin season
McCaffrey/Chub - apples to quarks comparison (You must have been drinking)
QB History - this is digging up the 1000 year old mummy of a dead horse so you can beat it again.
Grier - Average to slightly above average GM, but not the shitstorm he's made out to be.
Fangio - I didn't realize he had turned us down already :)

Bitterness/20 years/Its a shitty world - Perhaps you should explore 31 other options to help rectify the sadness, but if you choose to stay, man the F up and lets focus on how we can improve and take the next step(s)!

Phins Up!

Quick late night take...

We are way closer than we have been in a really long time. If we bring in a great DC, next year will eclipse this seasons success. (hell I thought we'd do better next year even with Boyer, now if we get fangio even moreso)

Maybe they wanted to keep the D coaches and players intact since they finished strong last year thus taking some of the pressure off of a first-time head coach. It was our O that was a problem last year and we've gone a long way to fixing it this year. The move made perfect sense at the time.

Fangio didn't want to coach last year, he turned down multiple teams as he wanted to take the year off after being fired by the Broncos.

Who's the bunch of overpaid aging vets on big deals? Armstead and X? I look forward to your list.
This team has a lot of very good ascending young talent in place. We are not riddled with overpaid aging vets, ...

Prior to Chubb the Phins had 15 sacks in 8 games. In the 10 games with him, they had 32. Is that just a coincidence? There's more to it than just the stat line...

Listen, I'm not going to sit here and debunk your entire post, I just don't have the energy. Water under the bridge at this point but you do have the right to be miserable, not debating that... :shrug:
Armstead, Xavien Howard, Byron Jones, Ogbah, Jerome Baker. Dunno why I replied, I wonder why people such as yourself have to add in comments like
you do have the right to be miserable, not debating that..

I understand your pain brother but seriously.....

Smith/Waddle - Waddle is better
Hurts/Tua- Both are good but both have weaknesses - jury is still out
Shanahan/McD getting calls in - True, but remember Shanahan has a LOT more years of experience calling plays and this was McD's virgin season
McCaffrey/Chub - apples to quarks comparison (You must have been drinking)
QB History - this is digging up the 1000 year old mummy of a dead horse so you can beat it again.
Grier - Average to slightly above average GM, but not the shitstorm he's made out to be.
Fangio - I didn't realize he had turned us down already :)

Bitterness/20 years/Its a shitty world - Perhaps you should explore 31 other options to help rectify the sadness, but if you choose to stay, man the F up and lets focus on how we can improve and take the next step(s)!

Phins Up!

Same can be said for the teams record with him as GM! So I guess your point is you aspire to be average, and not win playoff games?

Hyde’s article just shows that the Era of dysfunction continues with Grier at the helm and Ross signing the checks.

Also, it doesn’t get talked about enough but in 2019, Bengals hired Zac Taylor while Dolphins hired Flores. Taylor won the battle of the tanks, drafted Burrow, and been to a SB and now AFC Championship.

I aspire to be great! But I know wallowing in bitchdom accomplishes absolutely NOTHING to help us succeed!

RE: Grier, if we can upgrade, so be it, but those moves are never simple and the complexities involved are far beyond us fans who aren't part of the organization.

* Regarding lists of injuries, next year it will be a similar sized list with different names. Tired excuse, just like officiating

* The Dolphins are not better than the Bills when Buffalo had +2.0 YPPA Differential. I don't think it is recognized how difficult it is to reach that level and sustain over 17 games. Nor is it recognized that the Bills could not maintain late as direct result of the Hamlin situation.

* The 49ers/Cowboys game was a joy. It was interesting to hear Sean Payton emphasize on the postgame that the 49ers and Eagles are easily the two best remaining teams in the playoffs. I wish I could agree with him. Under the old rules, it would be true. These days it's difficult to see a rookie quarterback putting up enough touchdowns, especially against one of the AFC teams.

* That McCaffery trade was the best fit in years. It is the type of safety valve I envisioned for Tua when we drafted Malcolm Perry. Now obviously that's not an equivalency. Perry was too small and a step slow. But nobody will ever convince me he should have been running pass routes against NFL defensive backs as opposed to slipping out into space against linebackers. We need to pursue a poor man's McCaffrey every offseason.

* Maher's alignment was absolutely remarkable on the extra point. Talk about a mental block. I shouted left immediately. This was long before he even sidestepped to get in position for the kick. Check out when he stood directly behind the holder in preparation for the kick. He's supposed to be facing the center of the uprights. Instead he was facing the left upright if not a half foot left of the upright. Nobody wants to acknowledge that something as basic as alignment impacts these kickers and their results. It's criminal that the announcers never talk about it.

The injuries were concentrated in two areas, rather than spread out. No, next year's list shouldn't look like this year's; this was different than any other year that I have seen. Jones, Jones, Needham, and Williams were three of the five starters, plus a reserve. Then add our best CB hurt all year and ineffective. Sorry... that's not normal. Then add our best pass-rusher and big end.

On the offense, wipe out the offensive line with about 7 different OL either done for the year or hobbled... Yeah that happens every year. Oh... and the QB for a bunch of games... and the backup QB too... totally normal.

Just stop.

Hiring Flores was a baaaaadddd move. Leave New England trash alone. Flores cost Miami burrow, a 1st rd pick and A lawsuit and didn’t make the playoffs once.
You forgot about getting rid of the New England trash currently in our front office… Chris Grier, Bobby Grier and the Assistant GM, Marvin Allen!!

* Regarding lists of injuries, next year it will be a similar sized list with different names. Tired excuse, just like officiating

* The Dolphins are not better than the Bills when Buffalo had +2.0 YPPA Differential. I don't think it is recognized how difficult it is to reach that level and sustain over 17 games. Nor is it recognized that the Bills could not maintain late as direct result of the Hamlin situation.

* The 49ers/Cowboys game was a joy. It was interesting to hear Sean Payton emphasize on the postgame that the 49ers and Eagles are easily the two best remaining teams in the playoffs. I wish I could agree with him. Under the old rules, it would be true. These days it's difficult to see a rookie quarterback putting up enough touchdowns, especially against one of the AFC teams.

* That McCaffery trade was the best fit in years. It is the type of safety valve I envisioned for Tua when we drafted Malcolm Perry. Now obviously that's not an equivalency. Perry was too small and a step slow. But nobody will ever convince me he should have been running pass routes against NFL defensive backs as opposed to slipping out into space against linebackers. We need to pursue a poor man's McCaffrey every offseason.

* Maher's alignment was absolutely remarkable on the extra point. Talk about a mental block. I shouted left immediately. This was long before he even sidestepped to get in position for the kick. Check out when he stood directly behind the holder in preparation for the kick. He's supposed to be facing the center of the uprights. Instead he was facing the left upright if not a half foot left of the upright. Nobody wants to acknowledge that something as basic as alignment impacts these kickers and their results. It's criminal that the announcers never talk about it.
Do you think Deuce Vaughn from K-State could be a mini-McCaffrey. Deuce is small and has that question mark to answer, but he could be used in a lot of the same ways in a lesser reserve role. Vaughn on screens, draws, circle routes and even lining up in the slot from time to time could make Miami's offense more dynamic. Just an issue of the size question. Then again McCaffrey hasn't been the beacon of health in his career, so I'm not sure Deuce would get injured too much more than Christian has been.Vaughn might be intresting on 6 or 7 carries per game and 4 or 5 receptions. Plus he has return skills.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom