Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miscellaneous Thoughts on The Dolphins After Watching the Playoffs

Hyde’s article just shows that the Era of dysfunction continues with Grier at the helm and Ross signing the checks.

Also, it doesn’t get talked about enough but in 2019, Bengals hired Zac Taylor while Dolphins hired Flores. Taylor won the battle of the tanks, drafted Burrow, and been to a SB and now AFC Championship.
Yep, everyone made a big deal out of our tank, meanwhile Cincy undercover tanked and we’re rewarded.

We have players from other countries doing the waddle. Dudes the best receiver from that draft. Who were we getting at 12?
It’s close but right now Chase is the best WR from that draft. But waddle needs to clean some things up and he can be #1. Plus waddle seems to be more durable than Chase.

Also, it doesn’t get talked about enough but in 2019, Bengals hired Zac Taylor while Dolphins hired Flores. Taylor won the battle of the tanks, drafted Burrow, and been to a SB and now AFC Championship.
I was going to post something similar about HC Zac Taylor and DC Lou Anaruma of the Bengals. Zac is Mike Sherman's son-in-law and was on the Miami staff with him under Philbin, as was Lou Anaruma. Zac and Lou stayed on under interim HC Campbell after Philbin was fired. Once these guys got out from under Philbin and his pathetic offensive philosophy and dislike of any old-school physical-type players, and got away from Miami, they came into their own. And, people complained about Mike Sherman's offense, but it was really Philbin calling the shots. Once during an interview after a loss, Sherman was asked why he went away from the running game when it was working, and he said that it was Philbin's decision. Plus, how many Free Agents come to Miami and underperform as compared with how they did on their previous team, or players that leave Miami and do better at their new team?

IOW, something is seriously wrong with the Dolphins, and much of it seems to have started when Ross took over the team. Under Ross, they refuse to hire experienced Head Coaches, and nearly every other coach on the staff is new to their job. The Front Office can't even build a decent o-line, and when they do get lucky and draft talent at other positions, the clueless coaching staff isn't able to make the most of it. This team occasionally shows flashes of being good, but there's never any consistency, and when they really need to make a play, they fail. The entire Miami Dolphins culture recently under Ross has been "look good, look bad, look great, choke". McDaniel was never a real OC and never called plays, but now he's the Head Coach calling the plays on offense, and he has no idea how to manage the game. Sometimes he looks like a genius, other times he looks like an idiot, and the team's performance reflects that.

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
Poster child for the hindsight mentality, "I told you so"... After the fact. The Chargers still have Herbert, save time and effort by rooting for them.

-Who has been on the other side of a fair bit of Miami’s big trades over the last few years? Philadelphia and San Fran! Do you think Howie Roseman can’t wait to pick up the phone when anyone from the Dolphins organization calls? Yes one can argue the Jaylen Waddle thing worked out, but did it? DeVonta Smith is still playing and is also very good (and not dropping balls in a playoff game), and we still haven't won a playoff game (finished 9-9 this year) and Philadelphia is still playing, as is San Fran. Need to look at the whole mosaic. One of those teams will be in the SB, we are playing golf. Clearly those teams are doing something with their draft capital that we are not doing.

-Who would have thought Jalen Hurts would be the best of all of the Alabama QBs? Remind me did Philadelphia need to tank and draft him 5th, or did they get him with the 53rd pick in the 2nd round without tanking and then tampering because they didn't like their QB and then lose draft picks?

-Didn’t notice Shanahan and Purdy having a tough time getting the calls in on time and the plays off. In fact I didn’t notice it during the Dolphins/49ers game when Purdy and Shanahan had zero prep. Has it happened once in any of Purdy’s starts? I also noticed the 49ers run the ball a lot, and win dirty! Didn’t see the Madden joystick in Shanahan’s hands once. Yes, I am optimistic about McDaniel, but nerd boy has alot to learn and better do some serious self scouting before next year.

-Niners trade for McCaffrey. He helped meaningfully and they are still playing. Baltimore traded for Roquan Smith. He helped meaningfully, although they are not still playing, but that was not the fault of the defense. We gave up the house for Chubb, we are not playing, and he sucked!

-Coulda had Burrow. Thanks Grier, Flores and Ross. Much appreciated that you guys didn’t have your ducks in line before hiring Flores. Could have had a first and a third left for next year too. Thanks for that one also, maybe an honorable mention for Beal. Coulda had Drew Brees, went for Duante Culpepper instead. Coulda had Matt Ryan, took Jake Long and Chad Henne instead. Coulda had Herbert (who at least played), took Tua. Heck coulda had Purdy, took Skylar. Not like the organization hasn’t had its chances. Unreal, we set a world record for different ways of screwing it all up. Ross has been here for all of it, and Grier most of it. I want a special counsel!!!

-Have already written my rant in my head for when we fail to land Vic Fangio as DC, and we end up with another first time coordinator with no experience which is a terrible fit for McDaniel. I guess we can thank Grier for this one too. Word is out McDaniel wanted Fangio and they had him last year, and Grier made him keep Boyer. What kind of GM hires a coach, and then makes staffing decisions for him?

-Brett Maher is a better kicker than Grier is a GM. And Maher is about as accurate as Rick Ankiel!!!!

-Why does our special teams coach still have a job?

No I am not trolling. Yes I am bitter. It has been 20 years without a playoff win. We are now right back where we were after all of that. Up against the cap, no draft picks, we might not have a QB (health and durability issues, and even though Tua does certain things well it really has to be really lined up around him because he is one dimensional), no OL that we can rely on, and a bunch of aging overpaid vets on big deals. Why does Grier still have a job?
Your thoughts seem a bit bitter which you alluded to. I see a lot of comparisons to Kyle Shanahan which is fair. You do know that in KS's first year as a HC they went 6-10 right? The following year they were 4-12. Just thought some perspective might be tasty.

Hyde’s article just shows that the Era of dysfunction continues with Grier at the helm and Ross signing the checks.

I remember so many here ridiculing Zac Taylor

Do you think Deuce Vaughn from K-State could be a mini-McCaffrey. Deuce is small and has that question mark to answer, but he could be used in a lot of the same ways in a lesser reserve role. Vaughn on screens, draws, circle routes and even lining up in the slot from time to time could make Miami's offense more dynamic. Just an issue of the size question. Then again McCaffrey hasn't been the beacon of health in his career, so I'm not sure Deuce would get injured too much more than Christian has been.Vaughn might be intresting on 6 or 7 carries per game and 4 or 5 receptions. Plus he has return skills.
Not sure about Awsi but I do about Duece.

The Dolphins “rebuild” is now 5 years old. 2 HCs.
Worst TE room in the AFC will be even worse when Gesicki leaves. Grier’s quantity over quality also extends to LB, OLine, and RB. This is the Patriot way minus the great coaches. So much more to say but much as has already been said. Grier DID make the gig dependent on keeping Boyer. Not sure regarding Crossman, but retaining the former OLine coach as an “assistant” was also a stipulation. Grier is a “feel good “ guy, and history has shown he will draft based on a “story.” Iggy had a good one, as did Jackson, and Asiata. Remember HIM? CG drafts based on need, not on BPA. We all know a dozen instances of this. Guess what… we will have to pay another 10 million for another TE. Over and over this happens. Ross will NEVER fire CG, so get used to it.

I remember so many here ridiculing Zac Taylor
Back during the Philbin regime I ridiculed our OC for hiring his son-in-law as QB coach.. for Tannehill, no less. Zac Taylor had no experience, but got some at the expense of the Fins. As we know, Chris Grier’s dad got an inexperienced Chris his first gig with the Patsies.

The tank plan went to hell when we signed ryan fitzpatrick. Burrow is amazing. Glad we have tua but Burrow is the best from that class and fitz prevented us from getting him. Miami realized that too since they offered all three of their first rounders for the top pick but bengals said no. Thank god. We got to get austin jackson and Iggy.

Meaning no offense but numerous posters have said this today. You guys realize we woulda played KC this weekend right?

Well, actually if Tua had played, it would have meant he missed as many games, which would have allowed Miami to win the East, and yes, would have given a much better game to the Bengals this past week when they played them.

The Dolphins have made a lot of mistakes for a long time and it shows. No need to rehash the last 20 years of failure, just starting with the rebuild we be blew the tank, blew the initial HC hire, had a very poor 2020 draft where we blew a majority of our rebuild draft capital, potentially took the wrong QB even after the failed tank, tampered looking at other QBs and coaches losing the organization 1st and 3rd round draft picks, going into 2023 now have holes at several positions, few draft picks and are up against the cap. Payoff on the rebuild is squeaking into the 2022 playoffs with the final available spot at a 9-8 record. Team competed but quickly exited the playoffs. QB misses final 3 weeks of season after bumping head in a game.

So have to say given how excited I was a couple years ago with the strategy and capital accrued from our moves at the time, I have to say I'm disappointed. They've made some good moves but just too many misses. 2020 draft was the major culprit IMO. Shame covid popped up that year and affected things so much, perhaps we end up with some different picks in a normal year. Will never know but the year with our biggest haul of picks hasn't delivered.

All that said the team has talent and and a good bit of young talent. This past year was the most fun and exciting in a long time until the pitiful finish down the stretch, but we were in every game and thought we could win every game which was fun. We also suffered a ton of injuries this year. Health is always a key to determining who survives in the playoffs and to the superbowl. Can hope for better luck next year but at least we'll have a chance to get a lot of guys back, a unit group like secondary could go from this giant weakness to a deep position with starting experience across the board in no time when you get 4-5 guys back. McDaniel's system going into year 2 with the core of the offense already here should provide dividends offensively and keep this a top 10 offense when healthy.

We'll make our draft picks and sign a few free agents and at end of day I think we'll feel good about our roster heading into next season. If the defense can improve to middle of the pack and the offense remain strong the team if we're lucky on the injury front, should be a strong contender. A lot depends on Tua but for now will just assume he gets healthy over the offseason and while he'll always miss a few games with something hopefully not the playoffs next time.

So tons of mistakes, little in the way of results, but all hope is not lost, the window for the MD is still open.

Not 100% remember all the fact but I believe we made a great offer to Cincy for the #1 pick to get Burrow, but Cincy stated that they were keeping the pick regardless. That's when the rumors of us liking Herbert over Tua started.

Back
Top Bottom