Mock draft with some trade downs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mock draft with some trade downs

Pick
Miami Dolphins

Miami Dolphins

Jackson Powers-Johnson

Jackson Powers-Johnson
Oregon · IOL · Junior
Mike McDaniel's offense could use an upgrade on the interior offensive line, and I believe Powers-Johnson has the movement skills and acumen to be effective inside at either guard or center. There's not a ton of worry about the hamstring strain that caused JPJ to drop out of the Senior Bowl being a long-term issue.

I'd think between Wynn, Williams, and Hunt...one or more will not be back. That will get sorted out in FA with what we will do to get back into a better financial situation. I hope we can get Hunt back since he was a draft pick we developed at a reasonable cost.

A big question will be what kind of money will Connor Williams want after tearing his ACL in December which may cause him to miss time in September? During his career, Williams has torn an ACL twice, has had meniscus surgery, and multiple knee scopes dating back to college. As a top center we have seen the impact Williams has had but we also need to acquire more durable players and get to a better place financially. With some luck, maybe we can get Williams back on a 1 or 2 year deal and get JPJ at 21. JPJ could start at center until Williams is ready then he can play guard when Williams is in the lineup. Either way, set up JPJ to be the center in 2025 and beyond and move on from Williams.

That's my call. Best available. Definitely don't end up with less than we already have.
Honestly, I think that rarely happens especially with Miami. The Dolphins are typically slaves to need. Sometimes that lines up with the talent in the draft, though.

I think this year is a good example of that with the talent on the offensive line.

I'd think between Wynn, Williams, and Hunt...one or more will not be back. That will get sorted out in FA with what we will do to get back into a better financial situation. I hope we can get Hunt back since he was a draft pick we developed at a reasonable cost.

A big question will be what kind of money will Connor Williams want after tearing his ACL in December which may cause him to miss time in September? During his career, Williams has torn an ACL twice, has had meniscus surgery, and multiple knee scopes dating back to college. As a top center we have seen the impact Williams has had but we also need to acquire more durable players and get to a better place financially. With some luck, maybe we can get Williams back on a 1 or 2 year deal and get JPJ at 21. JPJ could start at center until Williams is ready then he can play guard when Williams is in the lineup. Either way, set up JPJ to be the center in 2025 and beyond and move on from Williams.
I really like Williams as a player and he was definitely missed when he went down with an injury.

But that injury history is a lot. Unless he's willing to play at a highly discounted rate, I'd look for his replacement.

Which is why Jackson Powers-Johnson would make a lot of sense.

Trade down with the Lions to pick 29 for pick 92 and a 5th in 2025.

29. C - Jacksn Powers-Johnson - Oregon - The best interior OL in the draft.

Trade down with the Ravens to pick 62 for pick 131 and a 5th in 2025.

62. DE/OLB - Adisa Isaac - Penn State - Adding pass rushers is a must.

92. LB Cedric Gray - North Carolina - Jerome Baker might be released.

131. WR Luke McCaffrey - Rice - He could be the 3rd pass catching option we need. He shined at the Senior Bowl.

155. DT Justin Eboigbe - Alabama - We add to our defensive trenches.

185. OT Andrew Coker - TCU - Depth pick.

199. DB Jarvis Brownlee Jr. - Louisville - Depth pick.

238 - QB Jordan Travis - Florida State - We might as well take a flyer on him.
Thanks for starting this thread brother. I liked watching Gray. I don’t get to watch a lot of college football. :ffic:

If Jordan Travis is around that late, I'd take a flyer on him. Not sure how long he will be out with his recovery, but the kid has some talent. I really would have loved to see how Florida State would have done if he stayed healthy.

I cant remember a Center being taken in the top 20.
It hasn’t happened in a very long time. The position just doesn’t have draft value. It’s exceptionally difficult for guys straight out of college to step in and succeed early in their career. Linderbaum was drafted by the Ravens 25th overall a few years ago. Most pure centers drop to day 2. Even the guys hyped up at the Senior bowl and through the combine process generally aren’t 1st rounders.

It hasn’t happened in a very long time. The position just doesn’t have draft value. It’s exceptionally difficult for guys straight out of college to step in and succeed early in their career. Linderbaum was drafted by the Ravens 25th overall a few years ago. Most pure centers drop to day 2. Even the guys hyped up at the Senior bowl and through the combine process generally aren’t 1st rounders.
Thats what I thought too which I why I figured we could trade down towards the end of round 1 and still be able to draft him.

Back
Top Bottom