More details on Fangio's departure | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

More details on Fangio's departure

He has not earned the right to dismiss the head coach's input or instructions.

If that's what you believe, you would be wrong.
He's earned that right. He has a career of being a great coordinator, and before last week Dolphin fans were doing backflips for having Fangio as DC. Meanwhile, the head coach and the other coaches have proven what exactly?

If you think Fangio just started acting like this, you are delusional. Complete failure by the organization to not understand what they were signing up for when they gave the keys to him. Now they are in a situation where they are going to have a 3rd DC in 3 years. Cool.

He earned the right to be the only voice in the room. The Dolphins finished the year ranked 10th in total defense, allowing 318.3 yards per game. That's the first time since 2010, and that's with a ton of stars missing on defense.

Losing Fangio is not a good thing. Could give two shi*ts the players are happy about it.
so he had great stats, that haven't been achieved in a long time, playing with injured players so we should give him a break. interesting take...

The question is why is Miami always hiring these types? Flores is another example of a coach who apparently didn't get along with staff.

I do hope Miami moves more to man coverage. Mahomes, and other top quarterbacks, just eat zone apart.

Obviously, the road to the AFC heads through KC.

He's earned that right. He has a career of being a great coordinator, and before last week Dolphin fans were doing backflips for having Fangio as DC. Meanwhile, the head coach and the other coaches have proven what exactly?

If you think Fangio just started acting like this, you are delusional. Complete failure by the organization to not understand what they were signing up for when they gave the keys to him.
I disagree with the first paragraph. There is a chain of command in any functional organization, and everyone answers to someone, unless they are at the top of the chain. A DC is not.

Agree with the second paragraph, but then again, I wasn't all that high on the hire for a couple of reasons, this being one.

If you think Fangio just started acting like this, you are delusional. Complete failure by the organization to not understand what they were signing up for when they gave the keys to him. Now they are in a situation where they are going to have a 3rd DC in 3 years. Cool.
What an asinine take. 🤣

I was thrilled when we signed him
last year. But I always thought it was a bit of a red flag the dude has never stayed with a team for more than 3 consecutive years anywhere.

I disagree with the first paragraph. There is a chain of command in any functional organization, and everyone answers to someone, unless they are at the top of the chain. A DC is not.

Agree with the second paragraph, but then again, I wasn't all that high on the hire for a couple of reasons, this being one.
To an extent there is, but I'm guessing when hiring he was made the top of the chain for defense. You don't get that type of big fish and with that type of contract without that understanding.

Well now they are on their 3rd DC in 3 years, and are likely going to be without a lot of the same talent. Good luck to whoever is taking that job.

Answer the question I had which was if McD had any say on the defensive side of things.

Now we know he didn’t.
Then that's an even bigger problem being exposed. If this HC doesn't have the balls or authority or whatever you wanna call it to put the DC in his place or get him to adjust to what you want as a HC... then what does that say about McD? Another negative on his part. I guess it's past that now since he's gone and at least McD will get rid of people but imo, he has to have that authority over his staff or risk losing his team when they see you don't have an authoritive bone in your body. Just my thoughts.

Answer the question I had which was if McD had any say on the defensive side of things.

Now we know he didn’t.
He had none. That Fangio hire just REEKED of Steve Ross interjecting himself and his enviable checkbook to solve a problem by throwing $$$ at something. You can't build a team like that. You need to look no further than the last two standing to see how it should be done. Hand-in-glove, it's not your day offense then the defense will get it done. Vice-versa. McD better be involved HEAVILY in this search or he's gonna flame out here.

To an extent there is, but I'm guessing when hiring he was made the top of the chain for defense. You don't get that type of big fish and with that type of contract without that understanding.

Well now they are on their 3rd DC in 3 years, and are likely going to be without a lot of the same talent. Good luck to whoever is taking that job.
Let me give you a hypothetical.

Late in a game, McD tells him he wants to play it a certain way. He has earned the right to, basically, say "screw you", and do what he wants?

I don't think so.

Another hypothetical. Game week, and the HC wants to employ a certain game plan, in an attempt to take certain things away from an opponent. VD has earned the right to ignore his instructions, and put in a different game plan?

Again, I don't think so. That sounds like a Mike Ditka/Buddy Ryan situation.

It isn't going to work, and VD has to acknowledge and understand that, particularly being an ex-HC.

Texas Reaction GIF by Black Rifle Coffee Company

Back
Top Bottom