Mort Says We Took Feeley Too Early | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort Says We Took Feeley Too Early

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
According to Chris Mortenson of ESPN, we took Feeley too early and should have waited. Hindsight is always 20-20, and I still like the upside of AJ, but Collins would be a very nice addition right now.

This is what Mort had to say in the Chat Wrap:

Mort: Dave Wannstedt told me on Sunday during the draft that he basically was sticking with Feeley and Fiedler. Personally, I think they moved too early on Feeley and should have waited on Collins and Warner, but they are the ones who are held accountable, not me. Getting Feeley early got him in there learning the offense.

Mort has a good point about Feeley learning the offense early. Would it have been wise to wait and go for Collins or another veteran quarterback?

No.

By waiting, Miami likely misses out on every quarterback option. At the time, there was no hint that Kerry Collins was going to be released. It would have been nonsensical to sit there and think that Kerry Collins would be released, by passing the opportunity to get a talented young quarterback that is ready for his shot.

Warner and Garcia would have been stupid moves on the front office's part. Neither are a long term solution, and neither player is capable of raising the level of this team in the short term. Garcia would have brought nothing different than Jay Fiedler brought, and Warner has shown nothing in the last two years that suggests he can still start in this league.

I'd rather have Feeley, still young has alot of potential and can likely lead this team. Collins is old and would'nt fit well with a run-based team. MOrts good point was that Feeley was learning the offense early his bad poiunt was basically evrything else he said

It wouldn't have been wise unless you want another repeat of Griese vs. Fiedler. You have to get the QB in there early. That's what Joe Gibbs did with Brunell, and that's what we did the rightest about this Feeley deal.

If we waited till we got a chance a Collins...

We would have probably need to get a life insurance policy on him. Behind a newly refurbished OL, a statue is not what is needed. We moved on Feeley long before the draft, and I don't think even Mort would have forecast three months ago that New York would do what they did to get Eli and release Collins. Marvelous thing, hindsight. If a sports reporter had foresight, they would be in the front office of a club doing something real besides looking in from the outside and dropping bombs to get headlines.

If we would have traded for Kurt Warner when we did for Feeley, that would've been too early! We basically got "rookie" with three years NFL experience (starting or not).

We did way better than drafting one of the big four quarterbacks (maybe not long run, but to win now).

What did he want us to do, just wait until June 1st and hope that a great qb got released.....not that anyone great is there.....no.....we got a young guy for now and the future for a 2nd round pick. He may work out and may not, thats no different that Eli Mannning.

AJ gives us the best chance to win now, not three seasons from now.

--First post..........WOO HOO :lol:

So I don't feel it was too early. He is in here learning, and starting tomorrow will be throughing to DB and CC and RM, and building so chemistry with them. If not right nowt then when?

That is what Griese ran into, no practice, then hurt so still no practice....and then he start for fragile fiedler.

Not to take away from the Thread 57, but who cares what Mort says.

I think we're at the stage where we'll see how the players can perform and that will tell us how far we are going to go and whether our decisions paid off.... not what Chris Mortenson or any other "expert" says.

Will you care what we gave up for Feeley if he plays at a high level?

Just like not a single Dolphins fan with their head put on straight has complained about what we gave up for Ricky.

Again, I don't mean to take anything away from your post, but I think we should all forget what these "experts" are saying and see how these guys play.

Plus, if people want to talk about the Dolphins getting him early, you have to look at the current situation.

If we would have waited to get someone in the draft, we would have been left with no one.

If we would have gotten someone in Free Agency, we would have to of matched the millions given to the old Brunell. If we would have waited till now to get a guy like Kerry Collins for example, there would be little time for him to learn our system.

Plus, the Dolphins did not want to get left out of the game like previous years where we have waited for the right Offensive Lineman like (Kruetz, Woody, Gandy, Tait) and never have gotten anyone.

We got Feeley quickly before we fell to our knees at the hands of the cruel NFL market.

Well we could've drafted Losman, but I don't think that does us any good really this year. Plus that leaves us without a stud o-lineman, and leaves Fiedler to tutor or future franchise QB.....thats scary!

AJ has a top 5 RB, a top 5 TE, 2 top 10 if not higher recievers, a decent O-Line, and hopefully another top WR on the way, crossing fingers. The guy is forced to do well.

Migs182005 said:
Plus, if people want to talk about the Dolphins getting him early, you have to look at the current situation.

If we would have waited to get someone in the draft, we would have been left with no one.

If we would have gotten someone in Free Agency, we would have to of matched the millions given to the old Brunell. If we would have waited till now to get a guy like Kerry Collins for example, there would be little time for him to learn our system.

Plus, the Dolphins did not want to get left out of the game like previous years where we have waited for the right Offensive Lineman like (Kruetz, Woody, Gandy, Tait) and never have gotten anyone.

We got Feeley quickly before we fell to our knees at the hands of the cruel NFL market.

Agreed. SO we don't get feeley, thus jay doesn't feel the need to restructure his contract because we don't have any other options. WE probably have to release him then, leaving us with sage and stoner through the draft. Now we think, going into the draft, that Rivers is our guy. He get's taken at 4 with Big Ben at 11, sooooo we HAVE to draft a QB now, and not even a first round talent QB. We end up with Losman and a HUGE HOLE on our O line, and MEanwhile, NY knows we're over a barrel here and trys to pry a pick out of us for collins. On top of that we get our new QB 1 day before our first Mini camp with a new Offensive staff...No thanks

Hindsight in this case is 20/400, and pretty dumb at that. It is one thing if we could have gotten collins March or even april 1st, but NOW????

NLude33 said:
Well we could've drafted Losman, but I don't think that does us any good really this year. Plus that leaves us without a stud o-lineman, and leaves Fiedler to tutor or future franchise QB.....thats scary!

Say what you want about Fiedler's skills, but the man is an excellent choice for a tutor. He's going to be an excellent QB coach some day...the guys who struggle usually do.

Warner? Collins?

We don't need anymore statues.

We already have a Quarterback statue on the stadium grounds. We don't need one on the field.

Jimmy James said:
Say what you want about Fiedler's skills, but the man is an excellent choice for a tutor. He's going to be an excellent QB coach some day...the guys who struggle usually do.
Agree, agree......I think Fiedler is a good brain, just doesn't have to athletic skills to match it unfortunatly.

Back
Top Bottom