Mort Says We Took Feeley Too Early | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mort Says We Took Feeley Too Early

i'm happy with feeley, i want no part of warner/collins/garcia.

im excited about the direction of our team, particularly the youth movement on the offesnive side of the ball, hopefully this will be the core of a long succesful run...that just isnt an option had we gone the warner/collins/garcia direction.

"No.

By waiting, Miami likely misses out on every quarterback option"

I'm sorry...but I think Feeley would still be sitting in Philadelphia right now if Miami didn't call.

I thought the Phins would have went for a more high profile qb selection which would have shown that we stayed with Fiedler too long. Especially with Dan coming on board and Ron Wolf on the Horizon. But all that fell apart and we A) Settled B but we learned from the BG fiasco that qb's do need time to learn the system.

I dont think he has either (Fiedler I mean.)

Better to get him early, into the program and ready. The bid war was kept low by doing it. The guy is very smart to click into a Reid Offense at short notice.

Like someone else said. Lets wait and see what he can do at least during the pre-season before we say whether it was a good move or not.

Ozzy rules!!

Mr.Murder said:
Better to get him early, into the program and ready. The bid war was kept low by doing it. The guy is very smart to click into a Reid Offense at short notice.

What bidding war?

The guy played in games two years ago...not last year.

No one was bidding for him the offseason after he played...

Why would anyone be bidding on him an offseason after that?

I respect Mort a lot. But what he gave was his opinion. His is no more, no less better then anyone here.
He gave his, here is mine.

Warner would not fit into our system. Warner is a timed route passer. Our Oline isn't up for that this year. Collins could be a good fit, but the Cowboys want him and have much more $$ then we do. It was better to get Feeley in early and cramming our Offense into him. I'd like to think that our starting QB will have better stats/rating then either Warner or Collins will next season.

AJ Feeley could definitely work out but I am very glad that he is your QB and not Kerry Collins.

Spikes said:
"No.

By waiting, Miami likely misses out on every quarterback option"

I'm sorry...but I think Feeley would still be sitting in Philadelphia right now if Miami didn't call.

Possibly, but how is that any better? We'd give up the same amount for him. Remember that a second round pick was exactly the price the Eagles quoted during the season when the Jets came calling. It's highly unlikely that a couple months time would have lowered their price, particularly when that price was established during the season.
So, instead under your scenario, we move a second rounder for Feeley in April, instead of February. Instead of looking like an informed, considered choice by Spielman, it looks like a panic move. Instead of getting him in early to pick up the offense, he loses that little headstart he's had on learning things. Instead of having time to scope out the market and find out no one else wants him as more than a backup, either, Jay Fiedler comes into camp bitter and perhaps recalcitrant in contract negotiation.
And of course, all this ignores the possibility that someone else might have traded for Feeley. Maybe the Eagles use him as draft day trade bait. Heck, maybe they deal him to the 49ers in that trade up for Andrews, instead of a second round pick. And then where are we?

If you want to question what Spielman gave up in the deal for Feeley, that's fair. But the timing of the deal was good.

I think we all forget...

Migs182005 said:
Plus, if people want to talk about the Dolphins getting him early, you have to look at the current situation.

If we would have waited to get someone in the draft, we would have been left with no one.

If we would have gotten someone in Free Agency, we would have to of matched the millions given to the old Brunell. If we would have waited till now to get a guy like Kerry Collins for example, there would be little time for him to learn our system.

Plus, the Dolphins did not want to get left out of the game like previous years where we have waited for the right Offensive Lineman like (Kruetz, Woody, Gandy, Tait) and never have gotten anyone.

We got Feeley quickly before we fell to our knees at the hands of the cruel NFL market.

sometimes that there are 31 other teams in the NFL whose needs are always changing and hard to predict. When a certain player becomes available whom I think will be a perfect fit for us I automatically think he wants to play for us and we should go after him. Obviously, that's not true in some cases. The football world doesn't just stop and give us exclusive rights to negotiate with a player. Other teams are trying to better themselves too and want to get in on the action. I think we made the correct decision at the time, with the facts we had. I like the team we have this year and think there are a few guys who are going to surprise! Can't wait for the season to begin!!

Steve

Spikes said:
What bidding war?

The guy played in games two years ago...not last year.

No one was bidding for him the offseason after he played...

Why would anyone be bidding on him an offseason after that?

I'm not saying there would have been a bidding war for Feeley. However, consider the rest of the market. Garcia? Old and injury prone. Brunell? Ditto. Warner? Ditto. Collins? Too turnover-prone. Tim Couch? Couch makes for an interesting possibility. Personally, I think Couch is a bust, but he's the only QB on the market I'd have considered over Feeley. And he didn't come available until about a month ago. The FO was looking for a long-term solution, and with good reason. With the exception of Couch, none of those guys above presented a possible long-term solution at QB.

I think Rick did a decent job at the time the deal was made. You can't make decisions based upon who you think is going to be available you can only make decisions on who is available. The only way I have a real problem with the move is if Fiedler wins the starting job. I really wanted them to release Fiedler and pick up some vet to be the backup only to get his shadow away from the team. Hell, Rosenfels has been on the team 3 yrs. and really hasn't been given a shot maybe he could be a capable backup in my opinion.

I see it as EITHER one of two things:

1) Either we took him too early,
2) Or we paid too much for him

NOT necessarilly both mind you. Had we acquired him in March for a 3rd or 4th rounder, I dont think anyone would be complaining. At the same time, had we waited to sign a QB (and ultimatley failed), I wouldnt have minded giving up as a second round pick in May/June for Feeley as a last resort.

However, giving up a 2nd for Feeley as early as we did was not an optimal deal for us. Of course, it doesnt mean that he wont pan out (he very well could), I just think that RS played the situation incorrectly.

Back
Top Bottom