Moving To St. Petersburg Area | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Moving To St. Petersburg Area

zackattack54

Finatic 24/7
Reaction score
I’m moving to the St Pete area in June from Ohio. Are Dolphin’s games localized on tv in that area. Or am I still gonna need “the ticket”? Or what about a Dolphins bar? Any help would be appreciated.

You'll get some of the games but not all of them as Jax has Orlando/Tampa as their second market.

I live in Bradenton just south of the Skyway Bridge. You won't see Dolphins pre-season on local tv other than the Buccaneers game or on NFLnetwork replay.

For the majority of the regular season the Tampa CBS will air the Dolphins games every week. Here's the catch... if it's a Bucs home game CBS won't air ANY NFL game at all! They air stupid infomercials until the Bucs game is over then they'll resume NFL coverage. We live to close to RayJay & NFL wants us going to the games. So to watch the Phins on home cable the Bucs have to be either on the road or playing at a different time. And typically near the end of the season CBS will flake out 1or2 weeks and play some random game like Denver or something.

What I did last year that works extremely well is I bought an HD antenna with a 60 mile radius on Amazon for $35 and pointed that puppy south to Ft. Myers, which is a Phins TV market. I got the CBS down there (WINK 11) in crystal clear HD and I was able to watch all the pre season games and the random games Tampa CBS didn't air for FREE. I was so excited i couldn't believe it actually worked!

Last edited:
I’m moving to the St Pete area in June from Ohio. Are Dolphin’s games localized on tv in that area. Or am I still gonna need “the ticket”? Or what about a Dolphins bar? Any help would be appreciated.

Most of the time...Buc games can mess with it sometimes...lots of great sports bars for those exceptions. What part of St. PETE?

The problem is they will not air a Dolphins game at the same time as a Bucs game is airing. Tampa/St Pete is considered a secondary market for the Dolphins and the NFL broadcasting rules say that they cannot air a game in a secondary market while the primary market's game is playing. It's not really to do with the Bucs blackouts or anything like that. Even if the Bucs game is sold out, if they're on at the same time the Dolphins game WILL NOT be on. Period.

There are so many sports bars everywhere with The Ticket that you'll almost never have trouble finding one with the game on. Otherwise yeah you would have to get The Ticket yourself.

With the exception of the Thursday night game, every single Dolphins game this year is scheduled for 1pm on Sunday.

Which sucks because right now, with the exception of the Monday night game in Week 3, every single Buccaneers game is scheduled for 1pm Sunday.

So basically, barring either the Bucs or Dolphins games getting optioned into Sunday Night or 4pm start times, it looks like if you're in the Tampa/St. Pete area you are only going to get a chance to see 3 of 13 games broadcast on regular broadcast TV. They would be Week 3 (home vs Oakland), Week 5 (at Cincinnati), and Week 8 (Thursday Night Football at Houston).

You'll have to find a bar that you like. As I said, there are no shortage of bars in the area that have lots of TVs and The Ticket. It's almost become like the standard setup. But you might consider going to a few of them, making sure you like the TV sizes and angles, maybe asking the people who work there if they generally get a lot of people to watch Dolphins games (which would mean more prominent TVs, maybe sound).

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll be moving into an apartment complex so I’m not too sure about the antenna. Looks like a sports bar is gonna be the choice. I went to college on the west coast before the days of direct tv and was able to find a bar that was owned by a Dolphins fan and he had one of those huge satellite dishes, about 30 fin fans would get together every Sunday.

I'd get the ticket. There is a ton of reason for excitement going into this season. It will be fun to watch! Treat yourself, make some buddies and have them over for the games. St. Pete is super nice, white beaches and ocean and loaded with things to do. Good luck, I'm in S. Fl. if things get rough up there, they won't!! In the winter when Ohio is snowed in you'll be on the beach with a couple of dozen beauties, I doubt that you'll be home sick!

Not to hijack, but how about the North Port/Cape Coral area? I’m headed there in about two years.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll be moving into an apartment complex so I’m not too sure about the antenna. Looks like a sports bar is gonna be the choice. I went to college on the west coast before the days of direct tv and was able to find a bar that was owned by a Dolphins fan and he had one of those huge satellite dishes, about 30 fin fans would get together every Sunday.

If you live in an apartment complex direct tv offers a stream only version of the Sunday ticket cheaper Than the regular version. Also if you know a college student who will let you use their name there is an even cheaper stream only option for college students. I used a friend I play ps4 online across the country's name and it worked like a charm. There are plenty of ways to watch the Dolphins just get creative

LOL that won't be necessary. If you google maps the term "sports bar" you'll probably get 10 of them within a 10 mile radius, and 8 of the 10 will have TVs all over the place and an NFL Sunday Ticket subscription.

With the exception of the Thursday night game, every single Dolphins game this year is scheduled for 1pm on Sunday.

Which sucks because right now, with the exception of the Monday night game in Week 3, every single Buccaneers game is scheduled for 1pm Sunday.

So basically, barring either the Bucs or Dolphins games getting optioned into Sunday Night or 4pm start times, it looks like if you're in the Tampa/St. Pete area you are only going to get a chance to see 3 of 13 games broadcast on regular broadcast TV. They would be Week 3 (home vs Oakland), Week 5 (at Cincinnati), and Week 8 (Thursday Night Football at Houston).

You'll have to find a bar that you like. As I said, there are no shortage of bars in the area that have lots of TVs and The Ticket. It's almost become like the standard setup. But you might consider going to a few of them, making sure you like the TV sizes and angles, maybe asking the people who work there if they generally get a lot of people to watch Dolphins games (which would mean more prominent TVs, maybe sound).

I guess a lack of primetime games disappoints most fans. But for me? Well lets just say I prefer 6pm kickoffs to 2am kickoffs lol

Sorry to hear about your Bucs clash though, that sucks

Back
Top Bottom