My 2 Cents on which running back is best!

Todd347347

Active Roster
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Messages
586
Reaction score
0
I listened to what Saban has said and I have listened to alot of fans on this board. Basically, Saban has clearly said he has changed the way Miami rates players. He looks for certain things by position <-- very important. So I say to myself what would I want in a running back? Personally without a doubt the single most important thing in a running back is who is the toughest to tackle. In other words, who gets the most yards after contact?... its that simple.

Which running back is that?
 

DoLpHiNz34

122.10.5!!!
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
1,495
Reaction score
0
Location
Miami
I think it would have to be Benson but I'm not sure that's the only thing that's important. Lateral quickness, vision, cutback ability, balance, breakaway speed, etc. There is a lot more to it than just yards after contact, although I do agree that is very important, IMO.
 

tay0365

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
May 18, 2004
Messages
13,421
Reaction score
2,856
Location
NJ
Saban2005 said:
I listened to what Saban has said and I have listened to alot of fans on this board. Basically, Saban has clearly said he has changed the way Miami rates players. He looks for certain things by position <-- very important. So I say to myself what would I want in a running back? Personally without a doubt the single most important thing in a running back is who is the toughest to tackle. In other words, who gets the most yards after contact?... its that simple.

Which running back is that?

That would be Benson, he tends to get 2-3 more yards average after contact, but I still like Brown. Brown is faster, with good size, is a better pass receiver, and is a better blocker. Our offense will consist of just one back, so having one that can do all this, is a plus.
 

burger13

FinHeaven VIP
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
6,287
Reaction score
14
Location
South Jersey
I agree that Benson fits that description the best......however, a lot of the great backs of the last 20 yards haven't fit that description.....by this I mean, going back if you look at the players like Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis, LT, Shaun Alexander, Edge, Ricky, etc.........only a few of them actually fit that description. I think that the main quality that I would attribute to the really great ones on that list is VISION.

So, if you wanted to pick the ONE attribute that will most likely give you success at that postition, I say go with vision.....and then Cadillac Williams would be your pick. I'd prefer to go with the player who has the most complete set of attributes, including vision, and to me that's Ronnie Brown.
 

NJFINSFAN1

FinHeaven Elite
Joined
Aug 23, 2004
Messages
24,024
Reaction score
1
Age
56
Location
Northern NJ
Yes that would be Benson, will we draft Benson? no! If we ran Wannys Wad offense yes. Running Linehan's offense, Brown or C. williams is a better fit!
 

Agent51

Starter
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
5,589
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Location
Hawai'i
tay0365 said:
That would be Benson, he tends to get 2-3 more yards average after contact, but I still like Brown. Brown is faster, with good size, is a better pass receiver, and is a better blocker. Our offense will consist of just one back, so having one that can do all this, is a plus.
I beg to differ:

Brown:
40 times: 4.48 and 4.51 on ASTROTURF at his "excellent" Combine workout

Benson:
40 times: 4.51 and 4.54 on GRASS at his "bad performance" Pro Day

So Benson was almost even with Brown and Brown had the better surface to run on AND he had a great workout while Benson had a bad workout. Put Benso on Astroturf on a good day and I bet he matches or beats Brown's 40

AND.........

Brown:
Career Receiving: 58 catches, 668yds, 2 TDs

Benson:
Career Receiving: 69 catches, 621yds, 3 TDs

Pretty even there too, so now you take it to rushing and Benson TOALLY edges out Brown, in yds, TDs, Yds after contact, power............
 

Gen3D

Scout Team
Joined
May 24, 2003
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Age
46
I'd be happy with any of the 3 backs, since they'd all be better then what we have currently on the team.
 

ItalianDolFan

Hammered
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
1,045
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Location
Vienna, virginia
For runningbacks, we released James Lynch and got rid of Leonard Henry. So right now its like this:

HB: Gordon, Morris, Minor
FB: Evans, Martin, Morris, Moa

We should keep Morris because hes a fullback AND halfback. But we should cut Moa. What ever happened to JJ Johnson, Autry Denson, Abdul-Jabbar, Lamar Smith? They were pretty decent.

This draft is tough. There is a franchise QB (Alex Smith), Franchise RB (Brown-Benson), and a Franchise WR (Edwards) to choose from. I am still stuck on which one is best to take. Personally, as long as our offensive line can learn to run block, our RB (whoever it is) should be able to gain good yardage. So if we dont take a runningback, thats fine. As for Receivers, their job is to catch the ball...most of our receivers do that pretty decently. As for QB, they are supposed to throw and all that...our QBs throw more completions to the other team...so i think a QB might be best. But IMO, our biggest need is offensive line. If i was coach, id pick Alex Barron with our Number 2 pick, then get a 2nd rounder and draft David Baas, get Elton Brown with our 3rd rounder...and in teh 4th round pickup Charlie Frye or Adrian McPherson, or Ryan Fitzpatrick (He's from Harvard, so he HAS TO be smart).
 

KB21

Finheaven VIP
Joined
Dec 26, 2001
Messages
10,049
Reaction score
59
Saban2005 said:
I listened to what Saban has said and I have listened to alot of fans on this board. Basically, Saban has clearly said he has changed the way Miami rates players. He looks for certain things by position <-- very important. So I say to myself what would I want in a running back? Personally without a doubt the single most important thing in a running back is who is the toughest to tackle. In other words, who gets the most yards after contact?... its that simple.

Which running back is that?
I disagree. Much like Bill Belichick, I believe Saban will put an emphasis on players who bring versatility to the table.
 

Agent51

Starter
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
5,589
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Location
Hawai'i
"Ryan Fitzpatrick (He's from Harvard, so he HAS TO be smart)."

Well, FEIDLER went to Dartmouth, which is an Ivy league school, thus implying he is smart, but look where that got us.........And I honestly don't think McPherson or Frye will be around in the 4th, so we should either take one of them in the 3rd (if they even drop that far) or hold out for Kyle Orton or Stefen LeFors in the 4th. Also, I think Williams should be added to your franchise WR considerations. And given the current stat of our O-Line, Benson would be a better fit, because he makes his own holes, 56% of his career yards at Texas came AFTER the first hit, and he has the power to bowl people over and drive through a closing (or non-existant) hole. *IF* we were going to take an O-Linemen it DAMN well better not be at #2 overall, and PREFERABLY not in round 1 at all. ASSUMING we don't get one of the big three positions (QB, RB, WR) at #2, or in the 1st round at all, we should prolly take Rolle, but not at #2, we should trade down. If you think about it, Madison is getting old, Surtain is pretty much gone, we are gonna need a shut down corner. I still say BEST scenerio would be trade downto no less than 8, take Benson, take a WR in the 2nd (with the surtain trade, assuming it happens), maybe Clayton if he drops or Roscoe Parrish, if we can score a SECOND 2nd round pick with the trade down take O-Line (although a second 2nd rounder is highly unlikely) then go QB in the third, McPherson, Walters, LeFors, Orton SHOULD all be there at 6th pick in the 3rd, and again, if we get a second 3rd rounder out of the trade down deal use it for an O-Line, as there should still be quality tackles and guards here.
 

tay0365

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
May 18, 2004
Messages
13,421
Reaction score
2,856
Location
NJ
Agent51 said:
I beg to differ:

Brown:
40 times: 4.48 and 4.51 on ASTROTURF at his "excellent" Combine workout

Benson:
40 times: 4.51 and 4.54 on GRASS at his "bad performance" Pro Day

So Benson was almost even with Brown and Brown had the better surface to run on AND he had a great workout while Benson had a bad workout. Put Benso on Astroturf on a good day and I bet he matches or beats Brown's 40

AND.........

Brown:
Career Receiving: 58 catches, 668yds, 2 TDs

Benson:
Career Receiving: 69 catches, 621yds, 3 TDs

Pretty even there too, so now you take it to rushing and Benson TOALLY edges out Brown, in yds, TDs, Yds after contact, power............
No, some have said Brown might have the best hands of anyone in the draft (Including WR, TE, DB), and let us not forget, that Browns got those receiving numbers at a part time position. Also, even though Benson is a more powerful runner, he is not close to as fast as Brown can be, and finally he is nowhere in the same league, when it comes to blocking (Something we will need from our RB).
 

tay0365

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
May 18, 2004
Messages
13,421
Reaction score
2,856
Location
NJ
Gen3D said:
I'd be happy with any of the 3 backs, since they'd all be better then what we have currently on the team.
Amen to that.....I still would cross to fingers for Brown though.:D
 

tay0365

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Joined
May 18, 2004
Messages
13,421
Reaction score
2,856
Location
NJ
KB21 said:
I disagree. Much like Bill Belichick, I believe Saban will put an emphasis on players who bring versatility to the table.
Exactly, and for that reason we need to take Brown if we take a RB with the overall 2 pick.
 

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
5,049
Reaction score
1
Age
32
Location
England
Saban2005 said:
I listened to what Saban has said and I have listened to alot of fans on this board. Basically, Saban has clearly said he has changed the way Miami rates players. He looks for certain things by position <-- very important. So I say to myself what would I want in a running back? Personally without a doubt the single most important thing in a running back is who is the toughest to tackle. In other words, who gets the most yards after contact?... its that simple.

Which running back is that?
Ronnie Brown will get the most yards after contact.

Cadillac is the hardest to tackle.

So, do you want Benson who IMO is a poor mans version of both rolled together. Im not cussing Benson but if he was both Ronnie and Cadillac rolled into one he'd be better than L.T.
 
Top Bottom