My Absurdly Early Dream Draft Scenario | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Absurdly Early Dream Draft Scenario

Blitz

The Big Zonk
Reaction score
Here are the picks (approximately) that I hope we will have heading into draft weekend:

#128 *

* - Obtained via trade for Sam Madison

Obviously we may end up with a significantly lower top pick, but I'm still hoping we'll wind up in the top five.

Here is my dream draft:

#002 - Matt Leinart (QB - USC) *
#087 **
#119 **
#123 ***
#151 **
#155 ***
#187 ***

* - Obtained via trade for #5, 2007 first-round pick, and Ricky Williams (Throw in a 2007 third-round pick and/or *gasp* Jason Taylor IF necessary - We must get Leinart unless Quinn declares)
** - Obtained via trade for #69
*** - Obtained via trade for #101

Draft Value Chart: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/valuechart.jpg

--------------------------------------

Matt Leinart + 9 other top 200 picks + Manuel Wright + Cleo Lemon = One helluva draft

Ideal scenario: The Texans with the first overall pick and the 49ers with the second overall pick. If the Texans take Reggie Bush, the 49ers will probably look to trade down since they won't be interested in Matt Leinart. No other team in the top ten will have a quality RB like Ricky Williams that they'd be willing to give up to the 49ers in such a trade. Two first-round picks, and a top quality RB like Ricky Williams to move down three spots? The 49ers would have a nice one-two punch in Williams-Gore along with a top five pick, and a first-round pick in 2007. I think the 49ers would bite, especially when you consider how many solid players are going to be in the top ten this year.

that would be one hell of a draft blitz, i agree with you on the fact that we need to do whatever possible to get a QB this year

I've heard we have two seventh-round picks, and possibly an extra fifth-round pick. Is that true?

i'm pretty sure we have two seventh round picks but as far as the extra fifth round pick i'm not exactly sure where it could have come from i don't think we have a fifth coming up for the next draft

we have three 7th rounders no 5th and no 6th.

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
7th
7th
7th

dorsaroll156 said:
i would never do that at all:shakeno:

+1

Thats WAY to much to give up to move up and get Leinart. He's not worth that much. I'd rather trade down, get more picks and pick up Jay Cutler.

leinart is 10 times the QB cutler is. i don't really care how much it costs to get him

gunhaver said:
leinart is 10 times the QB cutler is. i don't really care how much it costs to get him

Not Quite

Unless we somehow lose the next four games (I'm rooting for 8-8 or *gasp* 9-7), it looks like we're probably not going to have a shot to move up and get Leinart. Here's my revised dream draft scenario (I'm going to guess we end up with approximately the thirteenth overall pick, and assume that Brady Quinn does NOT declare):

Before the draft:

#013 - Traded for Philip Rivers
7th Round Pick (From GB?)
7th Round Pick (From Chicago?)

My new dream draft:

#059 *
#091 *
#093 **
#125 **
#126 ***
#157 **
#158 ***
#219 *

* - Obtained via trade for #45
** - Obtained via trade for #77
*** - Obtained via trade for #109

End result: Philip Rivers + 11 picks (5 on the first day) + Wright + Lemon = One helluva draft

-----------------------------------------------

If we were unable to get Rivers for the 13th overall pick, I'd move down to the bottom of the first-round/top of the second-round and draft Jay Cutler. In that case, I'd love to see this happen:

#037 - Jay Cutler (QB - Vanderbilt) **
#054 *
#059 ***
#069 **
#091 ***
#093 ****
#125 ****
#157 ****

* - Obtained via trade for #13
** - Obtained via trade for #22
*** - Obtained via trade for #45
**** - Obtained via trade for #77

End result: Jay Cutler + 11 other picks (7 on the first day) + Wright + Lemon = One helluva draft

-----------------------------------------------

As you can tell, I'm a strong advocate of trading down. I'd absolutely love to see us pull off all of these trades. Leinart, Quinn (Who probably won't declare) and Ngata are the only top-tier prospects that I'm truly enamored with at the moment (Obviously I think Reggie Bush is great too, but we already have our franchise RB in RB). If we don't get a shot at one of the three (I'd trade up for Leinart or Quinn, but not Ngata), I'd like to see us trade for Rivers or trade down and get Cutler at the bottom of the first/top of the second.

Blitz, i'm like you in the fact that i'm also a pretty big advocate of trading down but i disagree with you that quinn, leinhart, and ngata are the only can't miss picks especially with the position we'll be in assuming you're right and we are around the 13th pick. I know not many people have talked about him but Chad Greenway from Iowa should be around when we choose and i'd love to pick him up 6-4 245 and runs about a 4.5 or 4.6 40 this guy is pretty much the blue print of a sabanesqe LB. He plays every play like it's his last and he's not only a leader by example he's an emotional and verbal leader and i think that's one of our biggest needs on defense, and if we chose him we'd have LB sewn up for years to come with Channing, Pope, Greenway, and one more person for a 3-4 type alignment assuming Zach only plays for a couple of more years

In all seriousness, look over the past drafts. How often are trades made?

Teams generally just stay where they are and pick. Also remember, in order to trade down, you NEED a team to trade up. And that requires a stud player to be there for trade bait.

I would never ever ever make that trade for Leinart. Thats just waaaaay too much to give for a rookie QB.

Philter25 said:
In all seriousness, look over the past drafts. How often are trades made?

We consistently traded down back when JJ was our coach...

Teams generally just stay where they are and pick. Also remember, in order to trade down, you NEED a team to trade up. And that requires a stud player to be there for trade bait.

Very true. Like I said, I'd love to see us pull off all of those trades, but it is unlikely...Hopefully we'll be able to trade down at least once, though. We need more picks. I've heard this is going to be a deep draft, so we may have a few teams willing to trade up in rounds three and four to get one of the players they're obsessed with...

I would never ever ever make that trade for Leinart. Thats just waaaaay too much to give for a rookie QB

Trading up for a top-tier prospect is always a costly gamble, but it has paid off handsomely for the Giants with Eli Manning and the Falcons with Mike Vick...

Blitz said:
#037 - Jay Cutler (QB - Vanderbilt) **
#054 *
#059 ***
#069 **
#091 ***
#093 ****
#125 ****
#157 ****

* - Obtained via trade for #13
** - Obtained via trade for #22
*** - Obtained via trade for #45
**** - Obtained via trade for #77

End result: Jay Cutler + 11 other picks (7 on the first day) + Wright + Lemon = One helluva draft

Looks good to me! Except for the fact that Cutler will go in the first round.

Back
Top Bottom