My favorite football player of all time | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My favorite football player of all time

The 70's Ray? Big fan of Central Catholic back then, huh?

Dan Marino High School
As a matter of fact, it was just "up the river" from Cincinnati.
How appropriate is that for Pittsburgh? - LOL

I may be old and slow, but I'm ahead of you. - LOL

Wow! I like a lot of players for different reasons. Marino because of his grit, playing style, and an eye stare that rivals Clint Eastwood! Zach because he was an underdog who overcame the challenges with hard work and preparation. I don't have much and have not had great financial success in my life, but Zach sets a great example and his humility is something I strive for. Like others here, I like Ricky, Barry, Jerry, and many others because they are fun to watch. This is a tough one. If I had to pick one, it would be Marino. With him at the helm and his will to win, I think he made others better - sometimes I feel like it happened whether they wanted it or not - and I always felt like we had a chance to win any game.

Danny is an obvious one for anyone who watched him play.

A very close second for me is Dwight Stephenson.

3rd has to be AJ Duhe only because of one game.
He played more than one game with the killer bees

My favourite Dolphin has always been controversial... some hate him.

Jay Fiedler.

He wasn't very good, but he bled for the opportunity to play. He left his heart and soul on the field. Run on third down and dive head first for the sticks? Absolutely...

After watching Dan, it was like an ice water bath. Dan did things in his sleep... hungover... that Jay could only dream of doing.

He made me see 'desire'.

I loved Jay... was he good? No.

My favourite Dolphin has always been controversial... some hate him.

Jay Fiedler.

He wasn't very good, but he bled for the opportunity to play. He left his heart and soul on the field. Run on third down and dive head first for the sticks? Absolutely...

After watching Dan, it was like an ice water bath. Dan did things in his sleep... hungover... that Jay could only dream of doing.

He made me see 'desire'.

I loved Jay... was he good? No.
He won a playoff game for us , matter of fact the last time we won one

You damn Yankee

The "Southerner's" here in North Carolina tried to hand me that line in the American Legion Canteen about ten years ago. It went something like this:

These locals were my age and had lived in and around High Point, NC most of their lives. It was the middle of summer, and they were whining (and you know how much I love whining - Ha Ha) about the heat and humidity. Now I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio where a typical summer day is mid 80 degrees and 80 % humidity. When I moved down here, I checked, and it looked like the low 90's with 65% humidity was the norm. Let me say now that I once spent a week in Starkville Mississippi where I suffered through 90-degree, 90% humidity and it was really terrible.

So, the old timers around the bar are whining about the heat and humidity in the area for over twenty minutes. Well enough is enough and I told them:

"Hey, cut it out. This is the American South, and it gets hot and humid in the summer. You've lived here all your lives and know it, so quit whining about it."

One of those guys (now one of my best friends) pointed at me and said:

"There are Yankees and Damned Yankees, and you're a Damned Yankee!"

I thought about that and then remembered that some things like "bless his heart" don't exactly mean what you might think, so I asked, "what's a Damned Yankee"? He looked back at me, smiled, and said, "That's one that comes down here and won't go back", and they all started to laugh.

Well, "you 'all" know me. - LOL

I told them that we had won the war and could go wherever we wanted. You should have seen how they looked at me when I said that. Thet were at a loss for words. They all suddenly shut up, turned away, and quit whining - "bless their hearts".

It turned out to be a quiet, peaceful afternoon, and I really enjoyed it. They have never given me any crap about anything since then, so I guess sometimes it's good to stand up and speak for yourself. - LOL

We all get along fine and have for years, but in my heart of hearts, I know they still think of me as a Damned Yankee, but they don't talk about it - at least to me - anymore. - LOL

The "Southerner's" here in North Carolina tried to hand me that line in the American Legion Canteen about ten years ago. It went something like this:

These locals were my age and had lived in and around High Point, NC most of their lives. It was the middle of summer, and they were whining (and you know how much I love whining - Ha Ha) about the heat and humidity. Now I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio where a typical summer day is mid 80 degrees and 80 % humidity. When I moved down here, I checked, and it looked like the low 90's with 65% humidity was the norm. Let me say now that I once spent a week in Starkville Mississippi where I suffered through 90-degree, 90% humidity and it was really terrible.

So, the old timers around the bar are whining about the heat and humidity in the area for over twenty minutes. Well enough is enough and I told them:

"Hey, cut it out. This is the American South, and it gets hot and humid in the summer. You've lived here all your lives and know it, so quit whining about it."

One of those guys (now one of my best friends) pointed at me and said:

"There are Yankees and Damned Yankees, and you're a Damned Yankee!"

I thought about that and then remembered that some things like "bless his heart" don't exactly mean what you might think, so I asked, "what's a Damned Yankee"? He looked back at me, smiled, and said, "That's one that comes down here and won't go back", and they all started to laugh.

Well, "you 'all" know me. - LOL

I told them that we had won the war and could go wherever we wanted. You should have seen how they looked at me when I said that. Thet were at a loss for words. They all suddenly shut up, turned away, and quit whining - "bless their hearts".

It turned out to be a quiet, peaceful afternoon, and I really enjoyed it. They have never given me any crap about anything since then, so I guess sometimes it's good to stand up and speak for yourself. - LOL

We all get along fine and have for years, but in my heart of hearts, I know they still think of me as a Damned Yankee, but they don't talk about it - at least to me - anymore. - LOL
How was the Civil War Ray? As bad as there portrayed in the movies? Lol

It’s weird for me. It really should be Dan. I idolized him as a kid. And I firmly believe that if he was born 10 years later, he’d have a couple rings.

But it’s not. It’s Zach. That HOF notification video with Jimmy just freakin’ broke me. I’ve never seen a guy overachieve like he did and stay so humble.

Back
Top Bottom