My First Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My First Mock Draft

Silverphin

Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee
Reaction score
This is my first ever draft mock. Seeing as I know more about the fins than I know about the 31 other teams in the league, I'll keep the draft within our own team.

Assumptions made: We don't land Brees. Gus is again our starter. The top three QB prospects are gone before we pick.

Round 1-

Manny Lawson 4-3 DE/3-4 LB North Carolina State - The bad news is, we don't even have a snowball's chance in hell to land Lienart, Young or Cutler without trading a good amount of picks. The good news? We can draft a Defensive End/Linebacker that has the measurables similar our own hybrid player, Jason Taylor. Would he need some work? Of course. But with Kevin Carter and Jason Taylor showing him the ropes, there's almost no doubt he'll suceed. With Matt Roth looking like he'll be less of the Jason Taylor type DE and more of a Kevin Carter type DE, Manny Lawson will have us set for DE for years.

Round 2-

Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State - He has the height (6'3") to go up against tall receivers like Plaxico Burress. He has speed (4.37 in the 40 according to NFL Draft Countdown). Of course, he needs work like any other prospect. But the biggest problem is that he is coming off a knee injury. While it may dissuade quite a few teams, we took it a risk with Channing Crowder despite his injury history. So why not on Cromartie?

Round 3-

Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green - He'll be a project. Quite a few people knock his throwing motion, though apparently he has been working on it. Which is good - that means he's willing to learn. Now check his positives from NFL Draft Countdown.

Has prototypical size and a big sturdy frame...A very accurate passer...Arm strength is more than adequate...Athletic with solid speed...Moves well in the pocket and can throw on the run...Very smart with the ball and doesn't make a lot of mistakes...Extremely productive...Still has some upside...A leader on the field.

Sounds a lot like Donovan McNabb, no?

Round 4 -

Babatunde Oshinowo DT Stanford - Okay, before I start, his name is pronounced ba-ba-TOON-day OH-shi-no-who.

Now that I got that out of the way, Keith Traylor isn't getting any younger and Manuel Wright, despite the BRIGHT (not bright, BRIGHT) future he as with this team, is too tall to be a Nose Tackle. While the likes of Ngata and Watson are gone, Babatunde can be our future two gapper, our Tim Bowenian-type pick up. Plus "The Truck" can place him under his wing. In the future, our D-Line could look something like this.

4-3 (from Left End to Right End): Matt Roth, Manuel Wright, Kevin Vickerson, Manny Lawson

3-4 (Same order): Matt Roth, Babatunde Oshinowo, Kevin Vickerson

7a - Thomas Parker WR Florida Atlantic University - Weird pick? Maybe. But the last two years, he has really stepped his game up for Owls (29 catches for 584 yards and 20.1 yards per reception). And we do need some receivers. While our top three receivers (Chambers, Booker, and Welker) have been proven keepers, there is a huge drop off after that.

7b - BPA

7c - BPA

Silverphin said:
This is my first ever draft mock. Seeing as I know more about the fins than I know about the 31 other teams in the league, I'll keep the draft within our own team.

Assumptions made: We don't land Brees. Gus is again our starter. The top three QB prospects are gone before we pick.

Round 1-

Manny Lawson 4-3 DE/3-4 LB North Carolina State - The bad news is, we don't even have a snowball's chance in hell to land Lienart, Young or Cutler without trading a good amount of picks. The good news? We can draft a Defensive End/Linebacker that has the measurables similar our own hybrid player, Jason Taylor. Would he need some work? Of course. But with Kevin Carter and Jason Taylor showing him the ropes, there's almost no doubt he'll suceed. With Matt Roth looking like he'll be less of the Jason Taylor type DE and more of a Kevin Carter type DE, Manny Lawson will have us set for DE for years.

Round 2-

Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State - He has the height (6'3") to go up against tall receivers like Plaxico Burress. He has speed (4.37 in the 20 according to NFL Draft Countdown). Of course, he needs work like any other prospect. But the biggest problem is that he is coming off a knee injury. While it may dissuade quite a few teams, we took it a risk with Channing Crowder despite his injury history. So why not on Cromartie?

Round 3-

Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green - He'll be a project. Quite a few people knock his throwing motion, though apparently he has been working on it. Which is good - that means he's willing to learn. Now check his positives from NFL Draft Countdown.

Sounds a lot like Donovan McNabb, no?

Round 4 -

Babatunde Oshinowo DT Stanford - Okay, before I start, his name is pronounced ba-ba-TOON-day OH-shi-no-who.

Now that I got that out of the way, Keith Traylor isn't getting any younger and Manuel Wright, despite the BRIGHT (not bright, BRIGHT) future he as with this team, is too tall to be a Nose Tackle. While the likes of Ngata and Watson are gone, Babatunde can be our future two gapper, our Tim Bowenian-type pick up. Plus "The Truck" can place him under his wing. In the future, our D-Line could look something like this.

4-3 (from Left End to Right End): Matt Roth, Manuel Wright, Kevin Vickerson, Manny Lawson

3-4 (Same order): Matt Roth, Babatunde Oshinowo, Kevin Vickerson

7a - Thomas Parker WR Florida Atlantic University - Weird pick? Maybe. But the last two years, he has really stepped his game up for Owls (29 catches for 584 yards and 20.1 yards per reception). And we do need some receivers. While our top three receivers (Chambers, Booker, and Welker) have been proven keepers, there is a huge drop off after that.

7b - BPA

7c - BPA

1st. I am starting to think thats a reach for us at the 16 pic ( manny Lawson ). We may need to try and trade down if we are going to select him.
2nd. Cromartie ran really slow in the 20 4.37. :D I know what you meant, But I really don't think he is gunna be there. However if he is thats great, But if not there will be someone else we can get to fill holes.
Examples-
Jonathan Joseph CB
Davin Joseph OG
Brodie Croyle QB Ignore this if we get Brees
Abdoul Hodge LB I think he is better than his teammate Chad Greenway
Thomas Howard LB
There are some other choices out there however these are my top ones.

3rd. Is a great pick, But will he be there.

The rest seem are probably BPA at Position of Need picks

Skeet84 said:
1st. I am starting to think thats a reach for us at the 16 pic ( manny Lawson ). We may need to try and trade down if we are going to select him.
2nd. Cromartie ran really slow in the 20 4.37. :D I know what you meant, But I really don't think he is gunna be there. However if he is thats great, But if not there will be someone else we can get to fill holes.
Examples-
Jonathan Joseph CB
Davin Joseph OG
Brodie Croyle QB Ignore this if we get Brees
Abdoul Hodge LB I think he is better than his teammate Chad Greenway
Thomas Howard LB
There are some other choices out there however these are my top ones.

3rd. Is a great pick, But will he be there.

The rest seem are probably BPA at Position of Need picks

So how was my mock over all? I think I got about a 6 out of 10.

Silverphin said:

I think you did a Good job. The only real problem I had was I think we go Oline in the 4th if we don't any other time in the draft.
A very Nice Job!

Silverphin said:
6 out of 10 for reality, but if this actually happened I'd give it a 9.5/10

Skeet84 said:
I think you did a Good job. The only real problem I had was I think we go Oline in the 4th if we don't any other time in the draft.
A very Nice Job!

Thanks

Silverphin said:

I give you a 5 out of 10 because of the Omar Jacobs pick, I don't like him.

dont be suprised if Lawson is gone by our pick

Phins28 said:
I give you a 5 out of 10 because of the Omar Jacobs pick, I don't like him.

Wow 5 out of 10? Omar Jacobs has really been impressive and he has all the tools to become an NFL QB.

Skeet84 said:
Wow 5 out of 10? Omar Jacobs has really been impressive and he has all the tools to become an NFL QB.

Horrible mechanics, awful sidearm delivery, he took most of his snap out of the shotgun formation, played against poor teams, he didn't throw the ball downfield and he struggled in his senior season.

Phins28 said:
Horrible mechanics, awful sidearm delivery, he took most of his snap out of the shotgun formation, played against poor teams, he didn't throw the ball downfield and he struggled in his senior season.

His best game was agianist Wisconsin and they shut down Auburn who was the best Offense in the SEC and with all the Defenses in the SEC thats saying something. Omar Jacobs would not be the only QB with a sidearm delivery and he is so tall at almost 6'4 that should not be a problem. Besides we are not saying that he would come in and start. He would be a nice project, But has alot of tools that he can work with. He is extremely accurate and really would be a nice addition. He will get better and he can't help who he played againist in College. Besides that other good QB's have come from schools like Bowling Green. Who cares if he took all the snaps from shutgun its not like he never took snaps from under center before. Struggling can come alot of other things other than his performance.

I like those first 4 rounds bro. Lawson is a bit of an unknown to me, but with those numbers and the rave reviews I'm hearing about him, he should be A OK.
Cromartie would be an absolute STEAL in the second round I think
As for the DT, I don't think he is much of a need with Wright and Vickerson showing some promise, but big guys are hard to find so it might be a safe bet.

A note on Jacobs, your McNabb comparison is way off, he is more....**** I dunno...OMAR JACOBS
He dosn't have near the wheels of McNabb, hes a passer straight up.

And the dude knocking Omar, who gives a **** about mechanics and his delivery when he gets the ball exactly where it needs to be, and with juice

He did throw the ball downfield, but I guess you read that on some killer draft site.

He played some quality opponents very well...and more than enough QB's have came from the same conference with success (see the current super bowl QB)

and finally....he had a horrible senior season why...wait this one will really get you...BECAUSE HE IS A FREAKING JUNIOR

Thanks for playing...buh bye

how did you feel about Philip Rivers?

Back
Top Bottom