My Mock Draft 4.0 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Mock Draft 4.0

kpcane said:
I was at the last UM-UF game in Miami...I think it was my sophomore year...yeah it was...Brock's first year, and we were down by a boatload to the Gators. If we didn't have Devin Hester we would have lost that game. If a UF fan can't see how valuable Hester is, you're either in denial, or you're dumb.

All I'm saying is for a team that already has two solid return men, spending a 4th round draft pick is foolish. Our 4th rounder last year started most the year at CB, could Hester do that? Not his first year. If anyone could teach him properly it would be Saban, but even he would need some time.

Manny Lawson would be a reach with the 16th pick...

Spray Mucus said:
so what round do you project Hester going in?

Oh I think he'll probably go day 1 because there is - and rightly so - an emphasis on field position and a great return man does so much to change the momentum of a game. Look at the effect that Dante Hall had on the Chiefs.

I'm just not buying that he's this great CB prospect.

Boomer said:
Oh I think he'll probably go day 1 because there is - and rightly so - an emphasis on field position and a great return man does so much to change the momentum of a game. Look at the effect that Dante Hall had on the Chiefs.

I'm just not buying that he's this great CB prospect.

Nobody's saying he's a great CB prospect. I said he's worth it in the 4th based on his return skills alone, and judging by where you think he'll go in the draft, you more than agree with me.

I'm saying it's an added plus that Saban could turn him into a great CB. Not this year, and maybe not next year. But Saban could turn a guy with his speed and agility into an all-pro CB.

Motion said:
All I'm saying is for a team that already has two solid return men, spending a 4th round draft pick is foolish. Our 4th rounder last year started most the year at CB, could Hester do that? Not his first year. If anyone could teach him properly it would be Saban, but even he would need some time.

We actually have depth at CB this year, unlike last year. Daniels would not have started if Will Poole stayed healthy. I think there's an outside chance Hester could be our nickel back this year, and very likely he would be the dime back.

Hester isn't a "solid return man". He's a game changer. I would even spend our 3rd on him, but he may even be gone by then. If you've ever heard the phrase "putting the best athletes on the field" you'd know why I was so high on him. With Saban's ability to turn average CB's into good CB's, I'd be very excited to see what he could do with Hester.

kpcane said:
I agree. Lawson is the perfect choice for us.

I thought so as well. This year, there are plenty of DB's. More than plenty even. What's wrong with selecting a DE/OLB?

Hester is a stud but not very bright.

He can play in Sabans system and succeed at CB.

UF Fin Kat said:
between sims and lawson, who would you take boomer? (for miami)

Probably Lawson. Why? Well, he's ridiculously athletic. He comes out as the number 1 rated LB when you crunch the numbers. He has played 2 years as the Sam. He can rush the passer with his hand on the ground. He can blow past athletic left tackles. At 242, he can bullrush tackles. He moved Marcus McNeil back into the passer at the Senior Bowl practices. He gets decent depth on his drops and he can work down the line against the run.

Nick Saban loves Jason Taylor. Loves him. Loves him on the field and off it. Lawson is a spitting image of a young Taylor. Saban has said that if he'd have drafted JT, he would have made him a Hall of Fame OLB/DE. Just imagine looking at the draft board and seeing a young Taylor out there that you can mold, that you can use all over the field, with the 4.41 speed, like a Merriman or a Ware, a kick block demon (7 at NC State).

And remember, he's going to be much more highly rated in our system and the Jets and New England's and Clevelands and Pitts than in Denvers or Chicago's, etc. The draft board gets stacked to fulfil YOUR needs. Not the needs of all the other teams. That's why Lawson and Kamerion Wimbley rate so highly with us, although Wimbley I think is going to Cleveland at 12.

kpcane said:
Nobody's saying he's a great CB prospect. I said he's worth it in the 4th based on his return skills alone, and judging by where you think he'll go in the draft, you more than agree with me.

I'm saying it's an added plus that Saban could turn him into a great CB. Not this year, and maybe not next year. But Saban could turn a guy with his speed and agility into an all-pro CB.

You actually have to have the ability to play corner to be turned into an All Pro.

Boomer said:
Probably Lawson. Why? Well, he's ridiculously athletic. He comes out as the number 1 rated LB when you crunch the numbers. He has played 2 years as the Sam. He can rush the passer with his hand on the ground. He can blow past athletic left tackles. At 242, he can bullrush tackles. He moved Marcus McNeil back into the passer at the Senior Bowl practices. He gets decent depth on his drops and he can work down the line against the run.

Nick Saban loves Jason Taylor. Loves him. Loves him on the field and off it. Lawson is a spitting image of a young Taylor. Saban has said that if he'd have drafted JT, he would have made him a Hall of Fame OLB/DE. Just imagine looking at the draft board and seeing a young Taylor out there that you can mold, that you can use all over the field, with the 4.41 speed, like a Merriman or a Ware, a kick block demon (7 at NC State).

And remember, he's going to be much more highly rated in our system and the Jets and New England's and Clevelands and Pitts than in Denvers or Chicago's, etc. The draft board gets stacked to fulfil YOUR needs. Not the needs of all the other teams. That's why Lawson and Kamerion Wimbley rate so highly with us, although Wimbley I think is going to Cleveland at 12.

Well said.

Back
Top Bottom