My Mock Draft 4.0 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Mock Draft 4.0

Boone said:
Manny Lawson would be a reach with the 16th pick...

KFFL's mock has him going 12th to Cleveland.

kpcane said:
We actually have depth at CB this year, unlike last year. Daniels would not have started if Will Poole stayed healthy. I think there's an outside chance Hester could be our nickel back this year, and very likely he would be the dime back.

Hester isn't a "solid return man". He's a game changer. I would even spend our 3rd on him, but he may even be gone by then. If you've ever heard the phrase "putting the best athletes on the field" you'd know why I was so high on him. With Saban's ability to turn average CB's into good CB's, I'd be very excited to see what he could do with Hester.

Fair enough. If Nick's down with him, I'm down with him.

Boomer said:
You actually have to have the ability to play corner to be turned into an All Pro.

Are you even aware that Hester was the #1 CB in the country coming out of high school?
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=13&p=9&c=4&yr=2002&pid=30

But I guess he has no ability to play corner because you said so. Thank god you're not a recruiter for the Canes...it was real fun to watch this guy while he was here.

kpcane said:
Are you even aware that Hester was the #1 CB in the country coming out of high school?

But I guess he has no ability to play corner because you said so. Thank god you're not a recruiter for the Canes...it was real fun to watch this guy while he was here.

Yes. I was well aware of that. Tragically, the history of college football is littered with players who were superstars at the HS level and didn't make it.

Lets take Tom Lemming, the best high school recruiting expert in the nations 2003 list of top HS seniors.

Reggie Bush was 4, Cromartie was 7, Ernie Sims was 16, Brady Quinn 17, 24 was JaMarcus Russell, Donte Whitner was 32, Chad Jackson 37, Vernon Davis 38, Dee Webb 42, LenDale White 53, Alley Broussard 57, Mario Williams 71.

Number one was Chris Leak. You think that rating bears out when you look at Leak's career? Number 2 was Demetrius Summers who was kicked of the South Carolina team. 10th ranked super blue chip LT Ofa Mohetau went to BYU, played G, failed academically, has now finally latched on with Texas Tech. Wesley Jefferson, the 11th rated player? 27th rated linebacker on Mel Kiper's list of sophomore (and redshirt sophomore linebackers). This is a guy rated ahead of Ernie Sims.

Robert Lane, 14th rated overall, 3rd rated QB, rathed higher than probable 2007 number 1 pick overall Brady Quinn? Now a TE at Ole Miss.

It means NOTHING.

You are reviewing Hester as a Miami fan. I am looking at him as a draft pick. 1 pick and 11 tackles last year? Come on. He has no technique, he's raw, he's not physical, he's a side shuffler, he lacks instincts, etc. Great athlete, great returner, but he's proved he's positionless.

He WAS great fun to watch..................on special teams. Dynamic return guy. But little value as anything else as we stand.

Boomer, what are your thoughts on Peko, IMO he could be a steal with one of our late picks..

and another thing, why is it that Wimbley is shooting up the boards so quickly, it seems like he jumped from a 2-3 rounder to an early 3rd. explain.

kpcane said:

you're waaaay too biased to even form a coherent thought when it comes to miami players. you must think the dolphins should give the starting nod this upcoming season to brock berlin because he was the #1 QB coming out of high school, right?

TractorTraylor said:
Boomer, what are your thoughts on Peko, IMO he could be a steal with one of our late picks..

and another thing, why is it that Wimbley is shooting up the boards so quickly, it seems like he jumped from a 2-3 rounder to an early 3rd. explain.

Peko has the worst hair in the draft, I know that. Guy makes Polamalu's wig look halfway decent. He's probably a 3-4 nose, a back-up, could start in the right system. Was a JUCO transfer, is a great run stuffer, but that's it - he's not going to offer a threat as a pass rusher. But he can eat space and wouldn't surprise me if he ended up as the back-up to Casey Hampton in Pittsburgh.

Kamerion had a great final season at FSU. He's a stunning edge rusher, who will be a 3-4 OLB. He's strong, athletic and did well in LB drills in Mobile. Seems a few teams are very high on him. At the moment, he seems to carry an early to mid 1st round grade for some 3-4 teams.

I've not seen FAU so it wouldn't be right for me to comment mate.

Sorry.

Boomer said:
Yes. I was well aware of that. Tragically, the history of college football is littered with players who were superstars at the HS level and didn't make it.

Lets take Tom Lemming, the best high school recruiting expert in the nations 2003 list of top HS seniors.

Reggie Bush was 4, Cromartie was 7, Ernie Sims was 16, Brady Quinn 17, 24 was JaMarcus Russell, Donte Whitner was 32, Chad Jackson 37, Vernon Davis 38, Dee Webb 42, LenDale White 53, Alley Broussard 57, Mario Williams 71.

Number one was Chris Leak. You think that rating bears out when you look at Leak's career? Number 2 was Demetrius Summers who was kicked of the South Carolina team. 10th ranked super blue chip LT Ofa Mohetau went to BYU, played G, failed academically, has now finally latched on with Texas Tech. Wesley Jefferson, the 11th rated player? 27th rated linebacker on Mel Kiper's list of sophomore (and redshirt sophomore linebackers). This is a guy rated ahead of Ernie Sims.

Robert Lane, 14th rated overall, 3rd rated QB, rathed higher than probable 2007 number 1 pick overall Brady Quinn? Now a TE at Ole Miss.

It means NOTHING.

You are reviewing Hester as a Miami fan. I am looking at him as a draft pick. 1 pick and 11 tackles last year? Come on. He has no technique, he's raw, he's not physical, he's a side shuffler, he lacks instincts, etc. Great athlete, great returner, but he's proved he's positionless.

He WAS great fun to watch..................on special teams. Dynamic return guy. But little value as anything else as we stand.

What a waste of your time. The point is, it's really ridiculous to say that Hester doesn't have the talent to play CB. I don't care about all those other guys, and I don't care what Hester was rated either, I was just using it to show that I'm not the only one who thinks Hester has some talent. Of course I don't think he's the best corner now, but I'm saying that Saban could do wonders with him. I think he was terribly coached in college, and if given the chance he will show the abilities that made him a blue chip recruit. He didn't play better than Maxey or Jennings, that's why his stats were so poor. At a university like ours, where politics play a huge role and it's more of a "what have you done for me lately" program, it's easy to get swept under the rug and stay there.

If you're looking at him as a draft pick, tell me how you looked at Ronnie Brown. He wasn't a starter at Auburn. He didn't put up the numbers Cedric Benson did. And he "proved" that he couldn't carry the load at Auburn. Sound a little unfair?

UF Fin Kat said:
you're waaaay too biased to even form a coherent thought when it comes to miami players. you must think the dolphins should give the starting nod this upcoming season to brock berlin because he was the #1 QB coming out of high school, right?

Yeah...I'm so biased because I'd spend a 4th round pick on a guy that is going to be picked in the 3rd. Maybe I'm not the one who's biased.

Oh and by the way...you're hilarious :rolleyes2

kpcane said:
What a waste of your time. The point is, it's really ridiculous to say that Hester doesn't have the talent to play CB. I don't care about all those other guys, and I don't care what Hester was rated either, I was just using it to show that I'm not the only one who thinks Hester has some talent. Of course I don't think he's the best corner now, but I'm saying that Saban could do wonders with him. I think he was terribly coached in college, and if given the chance he will show the abilities that made him a blue chip recruit. He didn't play better than Maxey or Jennings, that's why his stats were so poor. At a university like ours, where politics play a huge role and it's more of a "what have you done for me lately" program, it's easy to get swept under the rug and stay there.

If you're looking at him as a draft pick, tell me how you looked at Ronnie Brown. He wasn't a starter at Auburn. He didn't put up the numbers Cedric Benson did. And he "proved" that he couldn't carry the load at Auburn. Sound a little unfair?

Hey buddy, you were the one using the fact that Hester was the '#1 rated corner' as the basis for your argument. Hell you even cut and pasted the link. Just because your argument doesn't stand up, all of a sudden now you don't want to talk about recruiting.

Now all of a sudden it's the fault of Randy Shannon and Tim Walton? As for the swept under the carpet comment.....nonsense. If you're good enough, you start. Larry Coker wants to win Championships. The best players do that. Hester couldn't do that.

The fact remains that Devin Hester was not good enough to play corner. So he switched to WR. He wasn't good enough there either. He is coming off an 11 tackle season. There are much better players out there than Devin Hester to come in at corner. It's just a shame that your rose tinted Hurricane glasses don't see that.

Comparing Brown to Hester is utterly ludicrous. I'm not even going to justify it with an answer because it's so laughable.

Boomer said:
Comparing Brown to Hester is utterly ludicrous. I'm not even going to justify it with an answer because it's so laughable.

Hey, I thought comparing Hester to Chris Leak was ridiculous, but I gave you the time of day you didn't deserve.

I didn't want to talk recruiting because it wasn't the point of my argument, which you missed twice. You said that he can't play corner, and I'm saying he can, and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

It's so funny to listen to people here. They care more about making jabs at people than making sense. Not once did I say Hester is the best corner out there, and I've said time and again that he wouldn't start his first year, and probably not his second either. But with Saban's help, he could be something. There's no bias, it's just rational thought. He's fast, he's agile, and he's a playmaker. I know he's raw, and I wouldn't be saying we should draft him if Wannstedt was our coach, but with Saban, I think it's a good move for the 4th round...so crucify me.

Back
Top Bottom