My Opinion of Feeley | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Opinion of Feeley

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
I went through a few different Eagles fans over the last three months trying to secure some game tapes of AJ Feeley. After two failed attempts with a couple of guys who didn't come through, I finally had someone contact me who turned out to be the kind of guy that every team should have as a fan.

He charged me an arm and a leg but...:dunno: What are you gonna do?

I kid! I kid!....He wasn't like that at all. As a matter of fact, not only would he not acccept any payment at all, he didn't even want me to mention his name in thanks. He said that I was polite and respectful both other times that I visited their board with my request and that he just felt like helping me out.

I'll have to try that "polite and respectful" bit more often. :lol:

Anyway, on to the meat of the post. I've watched three of the 5 games extremely closely(FWD,RWD, and Slo-Mo) and I've seen the other two also.
So I feel I have a pretty good idea of AJ Feeley as a QB. I have gotten copies of the tapes out to 3 different people so far. Three people whom I consider very knowledgeable and before they can do their massive breakdowns or put clips up on the site, I just want to get my two cents in.

Well, what I saw was a young kid in a big time play-off race respond with out fear and play within himself and the offense to guide his team to 4 wins in 5 games. I saw a ton of passes that hit the receivers right in the hands, dead instride. I would say that I saw more of those types of throws in 5 games than I saw with Fiedler in 4 years. It is obvious that Feeley has much better accuracy on timing patterns and his deep pass was on the money 60% of the time...and I don't mean just catchable, I mean on the dime!
He throws a nice tight spiral and he gets rid of the ball fast. He's mobile although not as fast as Jay, but he has pocket presense and decent escapability. He's tough, he hangs onto the ball when hit from behind and he seems to have that extra something that good QBs all have.

That's the good, here's the bad.

He's inconsistent. I think it can be explained in one or two ways though. He throws the ball too hard on his short routes and his dumps, ala, Ray Lucas, this results in a lot of drive killing drops and INTs. The other problem may be that he gets ****y. He seems to think that his arm can get the ball to any receiver he wants no matter the coverage, although I saw more than a few that he actually did complete with three defenders around the ball, it also resulted in a couple of INTs. I saw him get picked off twice by a defender he never saw. Once, the safety got him and another, I think, the nickell corner got him. But both times it was a poor read on his part.

He also loses a little accuracy when he's on the move.

Speaking of accuracy for a second, just a little thing that I noticed also, of the 5 INTs that he had in those 5 games, at least two of them were great plays by the defender, one he threw too hard, and two he miss-read the coverage but, He was still right on target with each toss.

Long story short, he'll beat Fiedler for the starting job, it's only a matter of when. He's got everything Jay Has and more upside. If he doesn't win the job in TC, it may be by design rather than lack of ability. What do I mean? Well, if the O-line situation takes a few games to gel, it may not be such a bad thing to let Jay lead us out of the box and then let Feeley take over down the road. Jay is a little more mobile and experienced in our system and he's proven time and time again that he can get us off to a good start. When Feeley is ready or Jay gets hurt we're going to be alright this time. No doubt in my mind.

{This may sound short and lacking in "stats" but don't discount anything I've said....everyword has been carefully considered. Nothing that I have written here is anything I don't truly believe. I don't really know what else you guys want to know, so you have any specific questions I will be happy to address them. Just ask.}

inFINSible said:
I went through a few different Eagles fans over the last three months trying to secure some game tapes of AJ Feeley. After two failed attempts with a couple of guys who didn't come through, I finally had someone contact me who turned out to be the kind of guy that every team should have as a fan.

He charged me an arm and a leg but...:dunno: What are you gonna do?

I kid! I kid!....He wasn't like that at all. As a matter of fact, not only would he not acccept any payment at all, he didn't even want me to mention his name in thanks. He said that I was polite and respectful both other times that I visited their board with my request and that he just felt like helping me out.

I'll have to try that "polite and respectful" bit more often. :lol:

Anyway, on to the meat of the post. I've watched three of the 5 games extremely closely(FWD,RWD, and Slo-Mo) and I've seen the other two also.
So I feel I have a pretty good idea of AJ Feeley as a QB. I have gotten copies of the tapes out to 3 different people so far. Three people whom I consider very knowledgeable and before they can do their massive breakdowns or put clips up on the site, I just want to get my two cents in.

Well, what I saw was a young kid in a big time play-off race respond with out fear and play within himself and the offense to guide his team to 4 wins in 5 games. I saw a ton of passes that hit the receivers right in the hands, dead instride. I would say that I saw more of those types of throws in 5 games than I saw with Fiedler in 4 years. It is obvious that Feeley has much better accuracy on timing patterns and his deep pass was on the money 60% of the time...and I don't mean just catchable, I mean on the dime!
He throws a nice tight spiral and he gets rid of the ball fast. He's mobile although not as fast as Jay, but he has pocket presense and decent escapability. He's tough, he hangs onto the ball when hit from behind and he seems to have that extra something that good QBs all have.

That's the good, here's the bad.

He's inconsistent. I think it can be explained in one or two ways though. He throws the ball too hard on his short routes and his dumps, ala, Ray Lucas, this results in a lot of drive killing drops and INTs. The other problem may be that he gets ****y. He seems to think that his arm can get the ball to any receiver he wants no matter the coverage, although I saw more than a few that he actually did complete with three defenders around the ball, it also resulted in a couple of INTs. I saw him get picked off twice by a defender he never saw. Once, the safety got him and another, I think, the nickell corner got him. But both times it was a poor read on his part.

He also loses a little accuracy when he's on the move.

Speaking of accuracy for a second, just a little thing that I noticed also, of the 5 INTs that he had in those 5 games, at least two of them were great plays by the defender, one he threw too hard, and two he miss-read the coverage but, He was still right on target with each toss.

Long story short, he'll beat Fiedler for the starting job, it's only a matter of when. He's got everything Jay Has and more upside. If he doesn't win the job in TC, it may be by design rather than lack of ability. What do I mean? Well, if the O-line situation takes a few games to gel, it may not be such a bad thing to let Jay lead us out of the box and then let Feeley take over down the road. Jay is a little more mobile and experienced in our system and he's proven time and time again that he can get us off to a good start. When Feeley is ready or Jay gets hurt we're going to be alright this time. No doubt in my mind.

{This may sound short and lacking in "stats" but don't discount anything I've said....everyword has been carefully considered. Nothing that I have written here is anything I don't truly believe. I don't really know what else you guys want to know, so you have any specific questions I will be happy to address them. Just ask.}

Nice job.

One thing I would like to add is that Feeley was the third string QB that year. He had no prior experience and, I'm sure, was getting very few reps in practice.

If the Fins had thrown in Rosenfels under those conditions, and he had performed as well, the entire fan base would be screaming for him to start. Why not show Feeley the same love?

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Nice job.

One thing I would like to add is that Feeley was the third string QB that year. He had no prior experience and, I'm sure, was getting very few reps in practice.

If the Fins had thrown in Rosenfels under those conditions, and he had performed as well, the entire fan base would be screaming for him to start. Why not show Feeley the same love?
That is absolutely 100% true.:up:

They didn't dumb down the offense either.

That was a great assesment! From what I have heard they really like the way Feeley plays, but the thing he is having trouble with is converting the system to were he can remember it and not get confused with what he knows from the Eagles O! The convertion seems to be his biggest problem right now!

inFINSible said:
That is absolutely 100% true.:up:

They didn't dumb down the offense either.

The sad thing is that if either Ray Lucas or Brian Griese had performed as well, we would have made the playoffs in 2002 and 2003, AND we would have the other kind of QB controversy.

shalafi3455 said:
That was a great assesment! From what I have heard they really like the way Feeley plays, but the thing he is having trouble with is converting the system to were he can remember it and not get confused with what he knows from the Eagles O! The convertion seems to be his biggest problem right now!
For sure. He definately has the talent to unseat Jay as the starter. It's a matter of how quickly he can get everything going on instinct instead of conscious thought.

He has all the other intangibles.

I like the way the team is bringing him along so far. The way Wannstedt is sticking behind Jay for the time being is only going to benefit everybody in the long run. When Feeley wins the starting job it will be becaue he deserves it and not because it was handed to him and his teammates will respect that. That's vitally important, in order to keep the team from fracturing between AJ and Jay.

Thanks for the well thought out and broad apprasial. I was afraid this would be simply another opinion thread. Your analysis included good and bad and gives reason for optimism, guarded optimism.

inFINSible said:
For sure. He definately has the talent to unseat Jay as the starter. It's a matter of how quickly he can get everything going on instinct instead of conscious thought.

He has all the other intangibles.

I like the way the team is bringing him along so far. The way Wannstedt is sticking behind Jay for the time being is only going to benefit everybody in the long run. When Feeley wins the starting job it will be becaue he deserves it and not because it was handed to him and his teammates will respect that. That's vitally important, in order to keep the team from fracturing between AJ and Jay.

Oh yea it would so much harder for him if Fiedler wasn't there! He would be expected to jump right in and start now! I think having the time to get himself set with the system and do automatic instead of having to think about it will help him greatly in the long run! He should be fine with the system by the end of training camp! It will be interesting to see how he is come that time and see what they do!

inFINSible said:
.. He definately has the talent to unseat Jay as the starter. It's a matter of how quickly he can get everything going on instinct instead of conscious thought...

That certainly would explain why Spielman didn't hesitate to get him as quickly as possible. That early learning time will be helpful when the preseason games require him to know the system instinctively.

Good job on the tape check. Next time send the tapes to me and I'll burn ya some DVD's. :)

One question...Spielman said that after reviewing all his game tape that the Philly receivers dropped alot of passes that should have been caught. It's common knowledge that Philly didn't have great WR's. Did you find this to be the case with abnormal excessive droppage?

Great analysis.

Marc Trestman's influence will be substantial here for Feeley, I think. So could having upgrades at all of the the skill positions around him.

Very nice post.

Lets put it this way, if he can't beat Fiedler out at some point were facing another disapoiinting season, because clearly Jay doesn't have that special something you referred too.

Alot is riding on Mr. Feely's shoulders, unless of course Sage arrives this season. If it depends on number 9 were in trouble.

PhinstiGator said:
That certainly would explain why Spielman didn't hesitate to get him as quickly as possible. That early learning time will be helpful when the preseason games require him to know the system instinctively.

Good job on the tape check. Next time send the tapes to me and I'll burn ya some DVD's. :)

One question...Spielman said that after reviewing all his game tape that the Philly receivers dropped alot of passes that should have been caught. It's common knowledge that Philly didn't have great WR's. Did you find this to be the case with abnormal excessive droppage?
I counted 8 drops in the Giants game alone....and when I say drop, I mean the receiver got both hands on the ball and still missed it. And there were at least 3 or 4 in each of the Dallas game and the Rams game.....the Giants game really stood out though.

Like I said earlier, he throws a 100 miles and hour but, I only saw a few times where that was definately the problem. He's got such a quick release and he throws so hard that I think he surprised the receivers quite a few times when they came out of their cut and the ball was right in their grill.

inFINSible said:
I counted 8 drops in the Giants game alone....and when I say drop, I mean the receiver got both hands on the ball and still missed it. And there were at least 3 or 4 in each of the Dallas game and the Rams game.....the Giants game really stood out though.

Like I said earlier, he throws a 100 miles and hour but, I only saw a few times where that was definately the problem. He's got such a quick release and he throws so hard that I think he surprised the receivers quite a few times when they came out of their cut and the ball was right in their grill.

That sounds like a few other QB's we have seen over the years!

Thanks for the breakdown...

inFINSible said:

on Feeley! I like that Feeley's passes have some zip. Quicker passes mean quicker completions and YAC. Something we have sorely missed with Jay at the helm.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom