My Opinion of Feeley | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Opinion of Feeley

SWS84 said:
on Feeley! I like that Feeley's passes have some zip. Quicker passes mean quicker completions and YAC. Something we have sorely missed with Jay at the helm.

Steve
I'd say it like this.....Jay can hit a spot, AJ can hit a moving spot.

I will say this....everybody that has gone out to camp lately really says that they "see" that Feeley has a world of potential and can be rather good...

His arm is getting alot of praise including from guys like Mandich and Joe Rose...

darkoak said:
You say he can really gun it out there, how was his soft touch on corner outs and stuff?
:confused: soft touch on outs???

I'm thinking you mean the RB coming out of the backfield?? He has a tendency to throw those too hard. If you mean sideline outs, he's got plenty of arm to get those there quickly. Not sure what you mean by "soft touch" on those throws....sorry.

inFINSible said:
I went through a few different Eagles fans over the last three months trying to secure some game tapes of AJ Feeley. After two failed attempts with a couple of guys who didn't come through, I finally had someone contact me who turned out to be the kind of guy that every team should have as a fan.

He charged me an arm and a leg but...:dunno: What are you gonna do?

I kid! I kid!....He wasn't like that at all. As a matter of fact, not only would he not acccept any payment at all, he didn't even want me to mention his name in thanks. He said that I was polite and respectful both other times that I visited their board with my request and that he just felt like helping me out.

I'll have to try that "polite and respectful" bit more often. :lol:

Anyway, on to the meat of the post. I've watched three of the 5 games extremely closely(FWD,RWD, and Slo-Mo) and I've seen the other two also.
So I feel I have a pretty good idea of AJ Feeley as a QB. I have gotten copies of the tapes out to 3 different people so far. Three people whom I consider very knowledgeable and before they can do their massive breakdowns or put clips up on the site, I just want to get my two cents in.

Well, what I saw was a young kid in a big time play-off race respond with out fear and play within himself and the offense to guide his team to 4 wins in 5 games. I saw a ton of passes that hit the receivers right in the hands, dead instride. I would say that I saw more of those types of throws in 5 games than I saw with Fiedler in 4 years. It is obvious that Feeley has much better accuracy on timing patterns and his deep pass was on the money 60% of the time...and I don't mean just catchable, I mean on the dime!
He throws a nice tight spiral and he gets rid of the ball fast. He's mobile although not as fast as Jay, but he has pocket presense and decent escapability. He's tough, he hangs onto the ball when hit from behind and he seems to have that extra something that good QBs all have.

That's the good, here's the bad.

He's inconsistent. I think it can be explained in one or two ways though. He throws the ball too hard on his short routes and his dumps, ala, Ray Lucas, this results in a lot of drive killing drops and INTs. The other problem may be that he gets ****y. He seems to think that his arm can get the ball to any receiver he wants no matter the coverage, although I saw more than a few that he actually did complete with three defenders around the ball, it also resulted in a couple of INTs. I saw him get picked off twice by a defender he never saw. Once, the safety got him and another, I think, the nickell corner got him. But both times it was a poor read on his part.

He also loses a little accuracy when he's on the move.

Speaking of accuracy for a second, just a little thing that I noticed also, of the 5 INTs that he had in those 5 games, at least two of them were great plays by the defender, one he threw too hard, and two he miss-read the coverage but, He was still right on target with each toss.

Long story short, he'll beat Fiedler for the starting job, it's only a matter of when. He's got everything Jay Has and more upside. If he doesn't win the job in TC, it may be by design rather than lack of ability. What do I mean? Well, if the O-line situation takes a few games to gel, it may not be such a bad thing to let Jay lead us out of the box and then let Feeley take over down the road. Jay is a little more mobile and experienced in our system and he's proven time and time again that he can get us off to a good start. When Feeley is ready or Jay gets hurt we're going to be alright this time. No doubt in my mind.

{This may sound short and lacking in "stats" but don't discount anything I've said....everyword has been carefully considered. Nothing that I have written here is anything I don't truly believe. I don't really know what else you guys want to know, so you have any specific questions I will be happy to address them. Just ask.}

Hey great stuff. What are the chances of getting some copies of those tapes to view? Email me if it is possible. Thanks for considering.

inFINSible said:
:confused: soft touch on outs???

I'm thinking you mean the RB coming out of the backfield?? He has a tendency to throw those too hard. If you mean sideline outs, he's got plenty of arm to get those there quickly. Not sure what you mean by "soft touch" on those throws....sorry.
Sorry corner routes in the end zone, you know floaters in the corner. Or how about screen passing plays does he sucker the defenders in there?

darkoak said:
Sorry corner routes in the end zone, you know floaters in the corner. Or how about screen passing plays does he sucker the defenders in there?
I only saw a copule of those and they were incomplete....mainly due to good coverage....he looks like he can throw that pass effectively. If the coverage wasn't there they would have been completed.

Again, not many screens, but one that I do remember, he got rid of the ball too quickly. It wasn't quite set up yet.

pigskinguy said:
Wow, good stuff. I'd love to see those tapes...... ;)

I think this is one where finheaven should take the ball and run, i.e. get this tapes and put up a link to them so we can look. I don't know how much disk space finheaven have or the bandwidth issues surrounding this for them, but if they can do it, please look into it... :D

shalafi3455 said:
That was a great assesment! From what I have heard they really like the way Feeley plays, but the thing he is having trouble with is converting the system to were he can remember it and not get confused with what he knows from the Eagles O! The convertion seems to be his biggest problem right now!
He seems to be a little distracted in his studies!? :D

I can see it now... "Come on Heather, not now I am trying to study... aww what the #$@#$. Come here baby!"

MDFINFAN said:
I think this is one where finheaven should take the ball and run, i.e. get this tapes and put up a link to them so we can look. I don't know how much disk space finheaven have or the bandwidth issues surrounding this for them, but if they can do it, please look into it... :D
;) In due time.....

Oboy said:
He seems to be a little distracted in his studies!? :D

I can see it now... "Come on Heather, not now I am trying to study... aww what the #$@#$. Come here baby!"

:lol:

Well I just the thing is in Philly they used a number system and he is getting plays mixed up, thinking it's one thing when it's something else! It will take a little time but he should adjust fine!

All of us hope Aj is gonna play well. I just hope Wanny gives him time to develop.

inFINSible said:
That is absolutely 100% true.:up:

They didn't dumb down the offense either.

They didn't dumb it down? You mean to tell me he was running the exact same O that McNabb was?? I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom