My Opinion of Feeley | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Opinion of Feeley

attachment.php

Dolphan_B said:
I have no idea where some pundits have come up with the idea that Feeley = Fiedler. Based on the tape I saw of Feeley in Phili and the video snippets of Feeley at camp, AJ reminds me of Brian Griese without experience.

If you put Brian behind a great line like he enjoyed in Denver and give him time to find the receivers, then Griese could hit all the passes with touch and dissect a defense. However, once the line broke down and the pass rush started getting to Brian, the immobile Griese did not use the pocket well and could not make the passes necessary to move the team.

In Phili, Feeley enjoyed great pass protection and hit some sweet passes. However, when that pass protection broke down, so did Feeley and the entire offense. See the Giants finale...

Additionally, Feeley had the luxury of facing four subpar defenses. Only the Giants had a top ten defense and they completely shut down Feeley and the Phili O.

In contrast, the AFC Beast will present Feeley with three above average defenses which range from very good (Jets) to great (Pats). Feeley will have to move against those defenses (as well as others like the Titans, Steelers, Bengals and Ravens) behind an OL with four new players. Good luck...

Finally, infinsible was correct about Feeley's lack of touch with short passes. These are supposed to be high percentage passes which make up a good chunk of a QB's workload in today's game. Part of the reason Feeley has such a poor passer rating as a starter (about 72) is that he has problems in this area.

From the video clips and reports from the camp provided by some wonderful posters here, Feeley appears to be behind where Brian Griese was on the learning curve last year. I truly can't see how a few additional QB camps are going to make up for the four seasons of experience which Griese brought to the Dolphins. From the standpoint of experience, Feeley is more like Lucas coming in for the 2001 season.

I truly do not see how Feeley takes Fiedler's job during this preseason or keep the job if Fiedler came back from yet another injury.

That's why A.J. was brought in EARLY..Griese came here late in the off-season. Did you watch Griese last year ? Did you watch Jay play last year ? How can you say there's no way A.J. can succeed when someone like Tom Brady can be a sixth round pick and lead his team to 2 SB's..Geez where is your logic..So the entire Miami Dolphins are just so dumb that they brought in a QB that has no chance in succeeding right ? I can't wait to hear your execuse when Feeley starts to rip **** up this year..

Dolphan_B said:
I have no idea where some pundits have come up with the idea that Feeley = Fiedler. Based on the tape I saw of Feeley in Phili and the video snippets of Feeley at camp, AJ reminds me of Brian Griese without experience.

If you put Brian behind a great line like he enjoyed in Denver and give him time to find the receivers, then Griese could hit all the passes with touch and dissect a defense. However, once the line broke down and the pass rush started getting to Brian, the immobile Griese did not use the pocket well and could not make the passes necessary to move the team.

In Phili, Feeley enjoyed great pass protection and hit some sweet passes. However, when that pass protection broke down, so did Feeley and the entire offense. See the Giants finale...

Additionally, Feeley had the luxury of facing four subpar defenses. Only the Giants had a top ten defense and they completely shut down Feeley and the Phili O.

In contrast, the AFC Beast will present Feeley with three above average defenses which range from very good (Jets) to great (Pats). Feeley will have to move against those defenses (as well as others like the Titans, Steelers, Bengals and Ravens) behind an OL with four new players. Good luck...

Finally, infinsible was correct about Feeley's lack of touch with short passes. These are supposed to be high percentage passes which make up a good chunk of a QB's workload in today's game. Part of the reason Feeley has such a poor passer rating as a starter (about 72) is that he has problems in this area.

From the video clips and reports from the camp provided by some wonderful posters here, Feeley appears to be behind where Brian Griese was on the learning curve last year. I truly can't see how a few additional QB camps are going to make up for the four seasons of experience which Griese brought to the Dolphins. From the standpoint of experience, Feeley is more like Lucas coming in for the 2001 season.

I truly do not see how Feeley takes Fiedler's job during this preseason or keep the job if Fiedler came back from yet another injury.

IMO the difference between Feeley and BG is the ability to get the ball out quickly, accurately to the right receiver. BG had a slow release. That's why he needed protection. It wasn't his lack of mobility. JF was an improvement over BG b/c he got the ball out so much quicker. The hope is that AJ will be an improvement over JF b/c he gets the ball out even more quickly and more accurately.

Infins, you keep outdoing your-self. Thanks for the analysis, I, like every fins' fan, are hoping that AJ will be able to backup JF nicely if he does not get the starting nod at the start. When he does, he should do well enough to keep it... :)

Dolphan_B said:

It's not really about what he's done, it's about what he can do. He has enough natural physical ability to develop imto a better QB than JF. He has enough natural leadership ability to develop into a better QB than Griese. Everything else can be learned.

Feeley has the quick release to beat the rush and he's got the nads to hang in there until the last second, as he gets more experienced he's going to learn how to beat the pressure.

In the face of a dominating Giants defense, in only his 5th game as a starter, he held his own and he didn't make any big mistakes. That's all we want from Fiedler if you want to get technical about it but, it never fails that at least one time in a tight game Jay is going to hand the other team points. Feeley didn't do that.

We all know Feeley is short on experience, but, that's the price you pay for going with potential over a known quantity.

rafael said:
IMO the difference between Feeley and BG is the ability to get the ball out quickly, accurately to the right receiver. BG had a slow release. That's why he needed protection. It wasn't his lack of mobility. JF was an improvement over BG b/c he got the ball out so much quicker. The hope is that AJ will be an improvement over JF b/c he gets the ball out even more quickly and more accurately.
Bingo!

Dolphan_B said:
Yes I see your point, it would be much better to have Fiedler avoid the rush only to throw an interception as opposed to getting sacked.

Lets wait till at least a few pre-season games are played before we doom ourselves with Fiedler for yet another season.

sorry to change to subject everyone but can someone tell me how i can stop recieveing emails everytime someone posts a reply? In 5 min. i got 29 new mail!?! :confused:

Dolphan_B said:
I can't trust you to have an unbiased opininon when you have a Jay Fiedler avatar. :goof:

ryyyan24 said:
sorry to change to subject everyone but can someone tell me how i can stop recieveing emails everytime someone posts a reply? In 5 min. i got 29 new mail!?! :confused:
Go to user cp....edit options....scroll to "default thread subscription mode"......drop down menu choose "no email notification".....scroll to bottom submit changes... :cooldude:

Thanks for the report, and I agree, Feely will be just fine and come along nicely. Just gonna take some time, but once he gets it, and the O-line gets it together, it should be a nice season to enjoy I beleive !

inFINSible said:
Which is exactly why I'm not even going to bother discussing this with you.

It doesn't take a track star to run a WCO....

Nor do you have to be an Einstein to figure out that one QB is not physically able to run the same O as one more physically gifted either!!

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
You say that like the Eagles run an offense where the quarterback runs first.

i don't think any team runs an O designed for their qB to run first. even Mike Vick is coached to run only when necessary. But what I meant was that certain plays are designed with mobile QBs like Vick and McNabb that are more like an option in that if the DBs are back in coverage, they take the yds on the ground, or vice versa. Feeley is not the kind you would do that with in particular. Since he's not a threat to run, the dbs stay back in coverage and they can string him out with a LB or DE. Feeley is quite slow at 5.11. Fiedler is much faster and we don't even have designed plays like that for him. I was all right with everything else about him [feeley] til the not "dumbing down" the playbook remark was made. That was just ridiculous, IMO.

Dolphan_B said:

I agree. I think Fiedler keeps his job and Feely comes in eventually, maybe next year. I doubt Feely can carry this team in his first year. Fiedler may not have all the physical tools, but his familiarity with the team is what will make him keep the job.

rickeyrunsover said:
See DeDolph, that is why I become a smartazz, Reid says they kept the whole offense in and then people watch teh film in slow mo, fwd and rwd and nope you who havent done the same know better than they do? Oookk. Look I am not picking, but it is more reasonable to state that you find it hard to believe. Not there is no way as if it were fact that they didnt keep it the same. If the offense was designed for the qb to run then yeah teh O would have to change for AJ. But I do remember that Monday nite game he played and I remember several rollouts to teh right. The WCO offense is not built around a running qb, it centered around a mobile qb, the 2 are diff. Vick does not run teh WCO, well not til this year. So how exactly do you know they dumbed down the offense, you got someone on the inside? And dont say anyone with knowledge would know, cause I would say InFins has and others have shown the intellect as it relates to football.

Well, Reid "said" they kept in the whole offense and Clinton said he never had sex. Sheeesh! Do you honestly believe they publicly say what they did/doing?
Please define the "whole offense" then. That doesn't mean that they used the same plays that were designed for McNabb. I'm not knocking Feeley at all but he simply cannot physically run the SAME plays McNabb does. Some perhaps, but even the "dumbed down" ones are in the "whole offense. They don't all of a sudden just make up plays for another QB that has been pressed into service. They have just one playbook that contains all the plays designed for whatever occassion there may be. Some plays in the book may never be actually used either. I never really like the term "dumbing down" a playbook since it's quite an inaccurate description cuz if they literally have to do that, then that QB doesn't belong in the NFL. But let's leave it like this, when Feeley played those 5 gms for McNabb, the "whole offense/playbook" was still in. But how many plays in the book do you think Feeley ran that were atually designed for mcNabb? As I told someone else, i didn't disagree with anything InFins said about his asessment of feeley at all and no reason to, til he mentioned that they didn't have to "dumb down" the book. i don't think it is unreasonable to think that Feeley cannot compete on the same level as Mcnabb either.

Back
Top Bottom