My thoughts on the Joel Collier hiring.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My thoughts on the Joel Collier hiring....

jmp310

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Besides the fact that the Dolphins are one of the clueless run franchises in the NFL.....
First, DW obviously was left in charge of the decisions entirely with his coaching staff. While I can understand letting him pick a WR or DL coach, there's no reason that he should solely be in charge of hiring the OC, when he is on the hot seat himself, especially as a defensive coach, and especially within an organization that has stressed making team decisions.
That said, Dave and Norv had internal problems with the way the offense would be run, prob a lot more than was being left out. So with the problems there, plus Dave's status of being under a lot of pressure, he decided to promote a lightweight from within who is grateful for the opportunity, and will go along with Dave's schemes. Maybe Collier still calls the plays(which I figure he will), but this is basically Dave's offense.
If this were a team decision or any other franchise, Jim Fassel is introduced tomorrow as the offensive coordinator, and the team is in good shape for having a great offensive mind, and someone in position to take over as head coach. At the very least, Tressman or Dave McGinnis. Instead, they hired someone who has no coordinator experience to take over one of the most anemic offenses in the NFL. And I'll bet the 'Fins organization still thinks they are really close.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard Fins fan, and have been all my life. But when DW says "we decided to do what's best for the Dolphins," don't believe it. Believe that he's doing what's best for Dave Wannstedt.

-On another note, as a college student at UM and an aspiring broadcaster, I think it's an absolute joke no one in the soft South Florida media brought Jim Fassel's name up.

there's no reason that he should solely be in charge of hiring the OC, when he is on the hot seat himself

you just said it... he is on the hot seat, he should pick this staff.

change is good, and it's not like you call this a bad hire... you don't know what he's gonna do yet.

premature negativity is running rampant everywhere. you have no clue how good or bad he is.

can we let things play out passed the first day? guess not..

Well, Fassel said no to any non HC jobs. Otherwise i have to disagree quite a bit with just about everything you said.

-On another note, as a college student at UM and an aspiring broadcaster, I think it's an absolute joke no one in the soft South Florida media brought Jim Fassel's name up.

He has previously, on many occasions, categorically denied that he'll entertain any offers for any job less than HC.

As an aspiring broadcaster, you should get more facts, else you'll end up looking like alot of those 'tards on ESPN. ;)

Hopefully being an inspiring broadcast student you know to check your sources before writing your information. Jim Fassel's name has been mentioned several times in recent publications. Unfornately Fassel refused any OC's jobs.

I know exactly what he said. I also know that he's considering or was considering taking a QB coach job with the Ravens. Besides, I can believe he'd say no to a lot of OC jobs, but not with a mostly winning franchise with the No.1 coach on the hot seat.
And judging by Dave's comments about meeting with Collier the day Norv was granted permission in going to Oakland, Fassel wasn't even in consideration. Again, I think he strongly considers and probably takes the Fins job if offered.

Also, to the person who said otherwise you disagree with just about everything I said, did you mean agree cause otherwise that sentance isn't really constructed correctly. Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by jmp310
Well then try explaining why he's possibly going to take a QB coach job with the Ravens. Besides, I can believe he'd say no to a lot of OC jobs, but not with a mostly winning franchise with the No.1 coach on the hot seat.

Also, to the person who said otherwise you disagree with just about everything I said, did you mean agree cause otherwise that sentance isn't really constructed correctly. Just curious.

He's going to be a "consultant."

Different realm.

But when DW says "we decided to do what's best for the Dolphins," don't believe it. Believe that he's doing what's best for Dave Wannstedt.
If Collier is as bad a hire as you think he is, explain to me how Dave is doing what's best for Dave??

Doesn't Dave want to keep his job?

Well, some people just have to complain about everything the team does.

Ozzy rules!!

Yes, but he was considering taking a QB job before agreeing to be a consultant. If he was a considering a QB job, I have no reason to think he wouldn't consider the Fins OC job. Even then, that doesn't excuse the fact that we should have asked him, or that the media should have brought his name up. Worst case scenario, the answer is no.

Originally posted by inFINSible
If Collier is as bad a hire as you think he is, explain to me how Dave is doing what's best for Dave??

*someone who gets it*

exactly...

he's not going to hire some doof to be OC, when his job is cleary on the line. why do you take him to be a moron?

Originally posted by inFINSible

Of course Dave wants to keep his job, but he wouldn't want to hire a guy like Fassel who not only differs with his philosophy, but makes it easier for the organization to fire DW. This way, the team doesn't have a qualified in-house candidate other than Tressman, and I think that's questionable.

Besides the fact that the Dolphins are one of the clueless run franchises in the NFL.....

Yeah goodness knows the Dolphins are the biggets joke in the NFL!

:rolleyes:

Oliver...

Of course Dave wants to keep his job, but he wouldn't want to hire a guy like Fassel who not only differs with his philosophy, but makes it easier for the organization to fire DW. This way, the team doesn't have a qualified in-house candidate other than Tressman, and I think that's questionable.

So you just want change for change sake.

Now that is how someone would run a team poorly.

Oliver...

I see Fassel's refusal of OC jobs has been covered. Sorry I'm late.

But, I don't understand why you think Dave would purposely hire someone who is a bad coach. Being grateful to Dave does not save Dave's job if the team fails to 'Win Now' as Wayne has required.

Also, I listed to Collier's remarks in the PC and I think he sounded pretty good. Is he a proven offensive co-ordinator with tons of experience at the position? No, but who out there is (besides Fassel, see above)? Instead, he's worked with a number of impressive coaches and has familiarity with the strengths and weaknesses of the current core players. He spoke of the need to adjust to the teams we were playing an create 'dilemnas' for opposing defenses. He's had the opportunity to work with names like Parcells, and been on staff here through Gailley and Turner, and we nearly lost his last season along with Schula.

I think he deserves a shot- he certainly has done nothing so far to warrent attacks. He has, however stated he's looking forward to hearing his name cursed on talk radio, so if you'd like to make his day, call in to your local station.

Back
Top Bottom