My thoughts on the Joel Collier hiring.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My thoughts on the Joel Collier hiring....

RElaaaaaaax everybody!

jerry gonna take care of his kids man. WR's that is..........

Tresty gonna do the new QB right man.

Collier gonna run the ball up some azzzzzz man.

Originally posted by jmp310

Good points, but I think they made questionable hirings in the most important places, and as a whole, it isn't a big change. As you said though, it's all about perspective. Most people seem to think there doesn't need to be a whole lot of change. I do, b/c I dont see us close to a Super Bowl.

It's a risk to make a lot of change. Miami is one of the most conservatively run franchises out there. I was not surprised they did the things they did with the BRASS. Well outside of the Marino thing. That was totally out of left field.

I tend to agree with the conservative approach. IMO it tends to pay off more than cut everything and starting over approach.

Oliver...

How does it pay off more? We haven't been to the playoffs 2 years in a row, nor have we made the AFC Championship in 11 years, let alone a Super Bowl. I mean if that's alright with you fine, but I like to see more production.

I kind of agree that maybe we should have had him as an assistant offensive coordinator for awhile before hiring him as the man to lead the team.

He has however, worked with four different offensive coordinators while here, each of whom were successful except for ole kippy. I'm sure he learned alot from each of them and that has led to him being a much better candidate for the job. He has earned a chance as much as anyone else and he's got to start somewhere.

Hopefully he gives us a little of Norv and a little of Chan, a little of Joel and NONE of Kippy.

Experience always makes things easier to take though.

I would not be suprised if it is Norv Turner's O. I would not be.

Fans complain that Wannstedt refuses to start players that have less experience...and then when he promotes an offensive coordinator that has promise...but is short on experience...we complain that he should get someone with more experience.

"I would have double bagged it."

There was not a better HC out there, outside of Gibbs no one is a better HC than Dave. It seems to me you just wanted change for change sake.

Wanny has in fact made significant changes, he has improved his WR coach postion (coach Sullivan) by leaps and bounds, and he has installed one of the most respected QB coaches (Trestman)there is. The WR coach change IMO is one of the BEST moves that could have been Made. Coach Ford has held this WR corps back for years.

Collier is a ?mark, but Wanny has done his best to make his opportunity for OC a success. Wanny has surrounded Collier with some very good offense coaches.

I think perspective is what this is all about.

Oliver...

Good Points, but my question is, of all the coaching moves, why didn't he replace the OL Coach that was obviously the weak link on this team last year?

Originally posted by OneHondo

Good Points, but my question is, of all the coaching moves, why didn't he replace the OL Coach that was obviously the weak link on this team last year?

Well 1st you'd have to beleive that. I doubt they do, and I know I don't. Our biggest problem last season was our WR corps. Firing Ford IMO almost certainly fixed that problem.

Wise is one of the BEST o-line coaches in the NFL. Keeping him IMO was a smart move, not a bad move.

Oliver...

Originally posted by PhinstiGator
Fans complain that Wannstedt refuses to start players that have less experience...and then when he promotes an offensive coordinator that has promise...but is short on experience...we complain that he should get someone with more experience.

"I would have double bagged it."

They also slam him for saying the Dolphins are close, but yet when Marino says it they do not slam him, they praise him.

Some fans just like to jump on what is popular in the slamfest war. If they spent any time listening to other HC's around the NFL, they all say the same things as Wanny. But to them only Wanny deserves to be roasted.

Oliver...

Originally posted by jmp310
How does it pay off more? We haven't been to the playoffs 2 years in a row, nor have we made the AFC Championship in 11 years, let alone a Super Bowl. I mean if that's alright with you fine, but I like to see more production.

Obviously no matter what I say you are going to latch onto the negatives. Sorry I get there sometimes, but it's not where I live.

If there is a better option out there, I'm all for that. The problem with that is, there has not been a better option. So I don't see your point wahtsoever.

Oliver...

If you look at Collier's resume you would notice the wide variety of different levels he has progressed through our oranization. Am I okay with a rookie OC, No. But does it make sense on paper, Yes.

my major concern is why didn''t we replace two of the weakest links in our coaching arena (OL/ST). I'm not sure why Wise and Armstrong are still here.

Originally posted by everardteach
my major concern is why didn''t we replace two of the weakest links in our coaching arena (OL/ST). I'm not sure why Wise and Armstrong are still here.

Again you'd 1st have to believe that to be true. I know I don't believe that. I think our WR coach was our biggest concern, and their biggest weakness as far as positional coaches go.

Wise and Armstrong are both some of the best at what they do. I'd hate to see how bad things would have been without those 2 here.

Oliver...

I guess my points are just dimissed as whining and wanting to gripe about something. Certainly someone can see what I was saying. It's very difficult to count on players w/o experience as well as coaches w/o experience.

I called for younger players to play because the other players weren't getting it done. Was Turner getting it done? Somewhat yes. But he's gone now. My main question is this, was Collier the BEST hire out there?

Something tells me no, not with his resume. I believe people with resumes that far exceed Colliers are available, even in house with Trestman. Slam all you want, but when you do please bring a valid point besides calling me a whiner.

Back
Top Bottom