My thoughts on the Joel Collier hiring.... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My thoughts on the Joel Collier hiring....

Originally posted by ohall

That's GREAT, then we agree. Collier is a ?mark, but I'm not making my hobby the Miami Dolphins a negative experience. I'd rather see the positives.

Not sure how you handle your hobby, but that's where I'm coming from.

Oliver...

I'm not making it negative either Oliver.
Like I said being optimistic and objective are two different animals. Collier could in fact set the world on fire and show himself to be a great OC next year. I'm just interested in seeing input from people who follow the league a little more closely to see what this guy is going to bring to the table.

Originally posted by jmp310
... I'm not arguing that Collier shouldn't be given a chance cause he has no experience, but why should we take a chance on Collier when there are guys with experience who have been SUCCESFUL???

I'm still waiting for someone to answer that question.

That's easy. We want to win now. That's what the owner said. Therefore it shall be. To have the best chance to win now...we have to stay with the existing offensive system.

Fassal would bring his offensive system. His terminology. He would not work within this system. Continuity is a major factor in trying to win now.

Philosophically we are a run first team that needs to be balanced and opportunistic in the passing game.

If rebuilding was the plan, then we would rebuild. It is not. We must keep this win now design within the framework of the blueprint...no matter how many fans don't understand it or reject it.

It's easy to make an emotional arguement and say, "why don't we get this guy...he's a winner!". But, then we never think through the practical consequences of learning a new system and how that would be a step backward in progress.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Like I said being optimistic and objective are two different animals.

I'm not trying to argue, honestly, but I don't agree. Just because you are being optimistic does not imply you are not being objective. That all depends on where you are coming from and to whom you are talking to.

Like I said, I have ?'s about Collier, but at the same time he is more than qualified to be an OC in the NFL. Does that mean the Dolphins should have given him his 1st shot? I can't say they should have been, but I can however see why they did.

I'm not going to worry, and concentrate on what could have been with the other options out there. Like I said I like my hobby to be a positive experience.

I am optimistic, but I think you can see I am being objective. I just cannot highlight the negative in this, it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Oliver...

Has anyone listened to WQAM or any of the TV sportscasters who have given any input on Collier and how well he is suited or not suited to be successful?

I'd really like to hear input from some of these guys.

Yea, someone called in today and asked MANDICH about Collier.

Maddog's response was very postitive. He said that he really liked him. He didn't elaborate...but his response was one of optimism.

I'm not trying to argue, honestly, but I don't agree. Just because you are being optimistic does not imply you are not being objective. That all depends on where you are coming from and to whom you are talking to.

Like I said, I have ?'s about Collier, but at the same time he is more than qualified to be an OC in the NFL. Does that mean the Dolphins should have given him his 1st shot? I can't say they should have been, but I can however see why they did.

I'm not going to worry, and concentrate on what could have been with the other options out there. Like I said I like my hobby to be a positive experience.

I am optimistic, but I think you can see I am being objective. I just cannot highlight the negative in this, it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Oliver...

Hear hear bro. To say, "what could have been" is just as easy to say as, "what can be." Just depends on whichever side you wanna see.

I can, "what could have been" all day, but at the end of the day...it couldn't have because it isn't. And I don't think I'm qualified to criticize moves made by people I don't share insight and information with. They had their reasons.

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

Hear hear bro. To say, "what could have been" is just as easy to say as, "what can be." Just depends on whichever side you wanna see.

I can, "what could have been" all day, but at the end of the day...it couldn't have because it isn't. And I don't think I'm qualified to criticize moves made by people I don't share insight and information with. They had their reasons.

I agree with you to a point. I think everyone has the right to be negative from time to time. But when that's all you are about with a thing you say you love, something just ain't right.

Not saying that's you Trek, just making an observation of some posters.

I just don't get the mind set of some fans that are constantly negative. It just seems to defy the point of following a team!

Again that's not directed at you Trek.

Oliver...

Well heck! We'll just shut the boards down and type "When you say Miami you're talking Super Bowl" back and forth to each other all day.

You just negated the entire reason we all come here. To discuss Dolphins football. The good the bad and the ugly.... whatever it is. If you're not qualified to have an opinion then you should'nt be giving yours on here right?

Just a thought.
Were here to discuss.
That's part of being a fan.
If you think Collier is going to be fantastic and have good reasons then list them. I'm looking for some input to be optimistic AND informed as to why I should be.

I'm not looking for the "Hey you don't ask questions man these guys know what they are doing and their decisions are all gold" answers!

Well heck! We'll just shut the boards down and type "When you say Miami you're talking Super Bowl" back and forth to each other all day.

You just negated the entire reason we all come here. To discuss Dolphins football. The good the bad and the ugly.... whatever it is. If you're not qualified to have an opinion then you should'nt be giving yours on here right?

Just a thought.
Were here to discuss.
That's part of being a fan.
If you think Collier is going to be fantastic and have good reasons then list them. I'm looking for some input to be optimistic AND informed as to why I should be.

I'm not looking for the "Hey you don't ask questions man these guys know what they are doing and their decisions are all gold" answers!

I've already posted my reasons for being optimistic about Collier in several threads and I'm not gonna dig 'em up and re-post 'em. They're there.

I never said EVERYBODY should be optimistic...that's just how I choose to be. Everybody, as you said, has their own opinion and I don't care if I sway anybody's or not. Too many people, imo, have jumped to see all the negatives in this situation without taking a second to look up the guy's credentials is what bothers me.

I agree with you to a point. I think everyone has the right to be negative from time to time. But when that's all you are about with a thing you say you love, something just ain't right.

Not saying that's you Trek, just making an observation of some posters.

I just don't get the mind set of some fans that are constantly negative. It just seems to defy the point of following a team!

Again that's not directed at you Trek.

Oliver...

Not taking it personally.
I know I'm very positive about many things in the Dolphins organization.

I understand the frustration with the people that come out only to post negatives. They do exist as do the don't question anything the Fins do people.

That clouds people being able to identify people that are trying to really have a good discussion from the ones who are always negative or always homers.

I've already posted my reasons for being optimistic about Collier in several threads and I'm not gonna dig 'em up and re-post 'em. They're there.

I never said EVERYBODY should be optimistic...that's just how I choose to be. Everybody, as you said, has their own opinion and I don't care if I sway anybody's or not. Too many people, imo, have jumped to see all the negatives in this situation without taking a second to look up the guy's credentials is what bothers me.

There will always be those that jump on and think the sky is falling with any decision. I see your point in that respect. I hate that as well.

We'll see how the Collier story unfolds.
I hope he has what it takes and that Wanny lets him do what he thinks is best. At the end of next year maybe we'll have a highly sought after OC that helped turn this team around.

There will always be those that jump on and think the sky is falling with any decision. I see your point in that respect. I hate that as well.

We'll see how the Collier story unfolds.
I hope he has what it takes and that Wanny lets him do what he thinks is best. At the end of next year maybe we'll have a highly sought after OC that helped turn this team around.

Heck that's probably one of the biggest reasons I like this move...the fact that Wanny admitted he made all the big offensive calls in the past and that he wouldn't be in the future....that's what I got out of the press conf anyway.

Heck that's probably one of the biggest reasons I like this move...the fact that Wanny admitted he made all the big offensive calls in the past and that he wouldn't be in the future....that's what I got out of the press conf anyway.

Ok, well he might have said that. But logically, why would he overule a proven and succesful OC in Norv Turner, and then decide not to call plays for an unproven OC in Joel Collier. Realistically, I think you're seeing more Dave in the offense.

Originally posted by jmp310

Ok, well he might have said that. But logically, why would he overule a proven and succesful OC in Norv Turner, and then decide not to call plays for an unproven OC in Joel Collier. Realistically, I think you're seeing more Dave in the offense.

So realistically he's lying to everybody on national TV?

Could be I guess.

Imo he's finally been told or has come to the realization that he DONT know how to call offense.

Coaches don't always tell the truth to the media or fans, I hate to be the first to break that news.

Back
Top Bottom