My uneducated take on the pass offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My uneducated take on the pass offense

Responding someone’s question with facts isn’t playing nice?

I’ll repeat what I said, go back to bed. You need more sleep :bnkr:

*sigh*

Fine. I tried to be nice. The OP was asking questions, and you implied that he was using an “uneducated take” to make unsubstantiated claims.

By all means, continue to be dismissive, but that’s hardly polite. Maybe you need more sleep, cranky pants.

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

feel free to roast me

is the boundary pass not a thing for McDaniel?

2 years in a row our offense runs down/gets figured out.

do we ever threaten the boundary?

were Claypool and Ezuzanma bad or just not valued?

is this a Shanahan offense thing? not for Tua thing? a shitty OL thing?

I fear another year of throwing into windows with fast pace until it is taken away and then no answer

Not to pick a nit, but I'm uncomfortable with absolute or implied absolute terms. Mcd did attack the boundary, just infrequently.
It wasn't just Claypool and EZ. The O was TH and waddle half the time. Part of that was a poor OL, part Mcd.
I agree on the throwing into windows. I've sad a couple of times, one of the color guys stating the D was sitting in the timing windows and disrupting the O. Mcd had no response.

In the 2023 preseason, one thing McD did a bunch during Tua's time in the game was roll Tua out of the pocket and drag guys across the field and let Tua hit them in stride.
Once the season started, this seemed to stop.
If McD isn't going to try to run the ball on third and shorts, - if he insists on passing- I'd like to see more plays where the line misdirects right, Tua rolls left, and hits Hill/Waddle/TE dragging left as well. I think those plays would work well; fake run right roll pass left if we're not going to run.

Not to pick a nit, but I'm uncomfortable with absolute or implied absolute terms. Mcd did attack the boundary, just infrequently.
It wasn't just Claypool and EZ. The O was TH and waddle half the time. Part of that was a poor OL, part Mcd.
I agree on the throwing into windows. I've sad a couple of times, one of the color guys stating the D was sitting in the timing windows and disrupting the O. Mcd had no response.

This became more common as the year went on. It’s one of the reasons the “ball out in 2 seconds” narrative has to change.

It's all about the OL.

In case anyone forgot, our offense went from being able to score 70 on a hapless defense to barely being able to score as the injuries piled up.

But, OF COURSE, that's not the only reason, probably just the biggest.

FWIW, Miami did go boundary but I don't feel like digging up every time they did.

It's all about the OL.

In case anyone forgot, our offense went from being able to score 70 on a hapless defense to barely being able to score as the injuries piled up.

But, OF COURSE, that's not the only reason, probably just the biggest.

FWIW, Miami did go boundary but I don't feel like digging up every time they did.
I found a random passing chart (two actually) that showed plenty of passes to the boundary but decided to post this instead:

1711376079556.png

I found a random passing chart (two actually) that showed plenty of passes to the boundary but decided to post this instead:

View attachment 167295
Well, that doesn't really show the volume for each area, only the results from whatever number of attempts.

I think, and hope, that the offense will evolve.

One way to look at it, is McDaniel highlighted the strength of his offensive playmakers. But maybe the lack of adjustments also have to do with talent.

We saw that when Tua took deeper drops, the offensive line struggled. The injuries on the line were obviously a problem.

It's fair to say the Dolphins were near the bottom of the league in terms of receiving talent at the tight end position.

Claypool was a gamble that didn't work out, but Miami still needs that 50/50 winner at wide receiver.

Well, that doesn't really show the volume for each area, only the results from whatever number of attempts.
Well, yes, I know..

There are TONS of individual game charts but I'm not doing someone else's homework for them ;)

Edit: And no, I don't literally mean TONS, as pixels have no discernible weight that I am aware of.

I think, and hope, that the offense will evolve.

One way to look at it, is McDaniel highlighted the strength of his offensive playmakers. But maybe the lack of adjustments also have to do with talent.

We saw that when Tua took deeper drops, the offensive line struggled. The injuries on the line were obviously a problem.

It's fair to say the Dolphins were near the bottom of the league in terms of receiving talent at the tight end position.

Claypool was a gamble that didn't work out, but Miami still needs that 50/50 winner at wide receiver.
"We saw that when Tua took deeper drops, the offensive line struggled."

What's that sentence based on? Do we have any data of how many deep drops Tua took and the pressure he faced when taking a deep drop?

Bottom line is injuries have hurt us, and the majority of the blame can go on McDaniel's inability to adjust and come up with something different. He also abandons the run game and gets too cute. I really like McDaniel, but he needs to evolve as a play caller and take what the D is giving him, instead of trying to force plays that aren't there. Just MHO based on what I have seen.

In the 2023 preseason, one thing McD did a bunch during Tua's time in the game was roll Tua out of the pocket and drag guys across the field and let Tua hit them in stride.
Once the season started, this seemed to stop.
If McD isn't going to try to run the ball on third and shorts, - if he insists on passing- I'd like to see more plays where the line misdirects right, Tua rolls left, and hits Hill/Waddle/TE dragging left as well. I think those plays would work well; fake run right roll pass left if we're not going to run.

Or fake screen right and throw left. As evidence, how many times did TT throw a scren and 4-5 defenders were within 5 yds of the receiver?

Back
Top Bottom