My uneducated take on the pass offense | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My uneducated take on the pass offense

“Uneducated take” provides an out wrt providing supporting evidence.

Making unsubstantiated claims is much, much easier.
true, just a feeling. the only boundary play I can remember was that pick Tua threw to Hill.

I just remember thinking "only my team throws that to a dorf"

Those aren't sideline throws.

I told you in the original post you replied to.
By who's definition?

What do you consider a "sideline" throw?

Again, where are you getting your data?

If you are implying Tua can't effectively throw a "deep out", beating coverage with his arm, I would agree with that. Those plays are inherently risky with any QB, though, and not a big part of any scheme.

feel free to roast me

is the boundary pass not a thing for McDaniel?

2 years in a row our offense runs down/gets figured out.

do we ever threaten the boundary?

were Claypool and Ezuzanma bad or just not valued?

is this a Shanahan offense thing? not for Tua thing? a shitty OL thing?

I fear another year of throwing into windows with fast pace until it is taken away and then no answer
Nothing to roast. The points you made were true, the questions were legit.

It's yet to be seen that his system can last a full season and into the playoffs without good teams figuring it out and easily mitigating it.

Its a question I don't believe there is a single answer to. I personally (uneducated as well) believe he's missing some key ingredients to make it really pop and be impossible to stop. This is my opinion:

QB that can work in the system - check.
WRs that can work in the system - incomplete.
RBs that can work in the system - incomplete.
OL that can work in the system - unsure.
TE that can work in the system - unsure.

As-is, its not enough to get where they expect to go, IMO. They've brought in Jonnu to improve the TE situation, some versatile/decent/good OL to shore that up with guys leaving, done nothing at RB expecting Achane to be the solution (IMO), and word is they're looking after a premium WR3. And we still have the draft coming up, which I personally hope is trench-heavy.

It seems (in my optimistic view of it) McD doesn't have his full vision of a playbook available to him so far...still missing 2 or 3 key guys that will absorb and master his system to make it really blow up.

By who's definition?

What do you consider a "sideline" throw?

Again, where are you getting your data?

If you are implying Tua can't effectively throw a "deep out", beating coverage with his arm, I would agree with that. Those plays are inherently risky with any QB, though, and not a big part of any scheme.
Their data of left and right is left and right of the hashlines, that doesn't equal sideline throws.

You can look at the actual throw location on next gen stats:

Their data of left and right is left and right of the hashlines, that doesn't equal sideline throws.

You can look at the actual throw location on next gen stats:
Nice info.

After looking at charts for several QBs, it looks like, as I said, those throws are not a big part of anyone's scheme.

What is your ultimate point?

Nah, Tua to Parker was guaranteed in Goalline his rookie year. Made Parker look good and got NE to waste resources on him.

Get Tua that X and he will cook
not something folks talk about much, Tua made Parker and gesicki get paid, then they both tanked without him, how bout Tua getting production out of preston williams, even got production out of lynn bowden..

no'one talks about that.

Nice info.

After looking at charts for several QBs, it looks like, as I said, those throws are not a big part of anyone's scheme.

What is your ultimate point?
Well the OPs point was we don't threaten the boundary, and I would agree. That's not really a throw Tua would be good at.

ŤI don't have raw data, but you can just look at his throwing charts. Throws are rarely completed on sideline boundaries.
Attempted or completed? Is your theory that he has limitations in his arm strength and that’s the reason you don’t see as many throws as you would like to see completed? I don’t believe he is limited in the NFL throws he can make. Is his arm as good as Mahomes or some of the others who are known to have cannons? No. Has he fully healed from his Hip injury in college and added more velocity on his throws every year since he came into the league? There is actual evidence of that.

I will look for evidence on this one way or another, I am convinced he’s actually got an average to slightly above average NFL arm which is all you need when you factor in vision, release, timing, accuracy, and ball placement, to make any throw, but I’d prefer to have solid film evidence before I made a statement like you made one way or the other. I was kind of hoping you had proof to support your take so I wouldn’t have to go and look for it…

I feel like his throws had plenty of velocity in the games I watched last season.

Attempted or completed? Is your theory that he has limitations in his arm strength and that’s the reason you don’t see as many throws as you would like to see completed? I don’t believe he is limited in the NFL throws he can make. Is his arm as good as Mahomes or some of the others who are known to have cannons? No. Has he fully healed from his Hip injury in college and added more velocity on his throws every year since he came into the league? There is actual evidence of that.

I will look for evidence on this one way or another, I am convinced he’s actually got an average to slightly above average NFL arm which is all you need when you factor in vision, release, timing, accuracy, and ball placement, to make any throw, but I’d prefer to have solid film evidence before I made a statement like you made one way or the other. I was kind of hoping you had proof to support your take so I wouldn’t have to go and look for it…

I feel like his throws had plenty of velocity in the games I watched last season.
It's not really like I'd like to see a certain number of completions to the sidelines. I think his arm strength limitations mean sideline throws aren't in scope, or they just aren't as effective as throws to other parts of the field.

The scheme offsets Tua's arm strength limitations with anticipated throws to gaps in coverage. It's not that throws to the sideline are impossible, but it just requires more airtime and anticipation. A big part of Tua's success is needing things to go as planned. He needs his feet under him. Everything needs to be on time when you have below average arm strength because you can't be late and make up the time with your arm.

It's not really like I'd like to see a certain number of completions to the sidelines. I think his arm strength limitations mean sideline throws aren't in scope, or they just aren't as effective as throws to other parts of the field.

The scheme offsets Tua's arm strength limitations with anticipated throws to gaps in coverage. It's not that throws to the sideline are impossible, but it just requires more airtime and anticipation. A big part of Tua's success is needing things to go as planned. He needs his feet under him. Everything needs to be on time when you have below average arm strength because you can't be late and make up the time with your arm.
He doesn't have below average arm 💪 strength, get a grip . There's a few things him and McDaniel have to work on , but he has enough arm strength to get the job done.

Again, what are you basing this assessment that he has below average arm strength? I would go along with that in 2020 and 2021 because he was stilling healing from his hip injury, and I know that that is a narrative about him, but just from watching him very closely since he came in the league, I have come to believe that is simply not true.

I could be wrong, but it sure doesn’t look like he has any issues on film in 22 and 23. 99% of all deep balls for example last year were caught in stride. I saw a ton of balls that moved with zip and velocity fit into tight spaces, including throw outside the numbers. I just don’t think the film backs up that narrative that I think a lot of people parrot without considering the possibility that in fact, coming off of that hip injury out of college, Tua has actually healed up, needed time, and has as a result, got velocity on his passes again. Coming out of high school and into college, his arm wasn’t considered weak at all. He had a good arm, and still does.

There was a tweet from his trainer that showed him throwing sort of side by side in 2020, 2021, and 2022 where you can see noticeable increasing in velocity. I’m going to try and find that again and post it.

not something folks talk about much, Tua made Parker and gesicki get paid, then they both tanked without him, how bout Tua getting production out of preston williams, even got production out of lynn bowden..

no'one talks about that.
Right. Under Flores, Tua spread the ball around more than he does under McDaniel. McDaniel is a big part of the problem. His offense gets figured out, and he doesn't know how to adjust; it's basically throw it to Hill, throw it to Waddle, and maybe run a few times. That worked early in the season and then against bad teams, but not against good teams. I never understood why people think McDaniel is some kind of genius.

Right. Under Flores, Tua spread the ball around more than he does under McDaniel. McDaniel is a big part of the problem. His offense gets figured out, and he doesn't know how to adjust; it's basically throw it to Hill, throw it to Waddle, and maybe run a few times. That worked early in the season and then against bad teams, but not against good teams. I never understood why people think McDaniel is some kind of genius.
I think there are some concerns , not sure to that degree but some concerns nevertheless

Back
Top Bottom