Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury

TheRevoltingBlob

Club Member
Reaction score
We didn't think twice when the cowboys added Ceedee to a WR core that already had Cooper and Gallup. That's because in the new NFL, the base set is now 3 WR's.

And not only are there more receivers, but TE's and RB's that are better receivers than ever.

Obviously defenses have adjusted. We've gotten used to the term "front 7," but it's much more often a "front 6." I can only find numbers from 2018, but base defense was only run 25% of the time. Nickel was run 61% and Dime was run 13%.

The idea that you only play 2 CB's is as antiquated as the idea you only play two WR's.

Add in that only 10 corners played over 80% of their snaps, and you can see that your third corner has no ceiling to how many snaps they play. If they can also play outside, your slot corner is a full time starter. And it's actually best if you have 4 capable corners.

I'm fine debating whether Noah was the right pick based on his talent. But I'm just tired of hearing the pick trashed "because we already have Howard and Jones."

My answer to that is, which one of those guys is covering Ceedee in the slot?

Last edited:
Miami has until 2023 to figure that out unless they meet the Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

And I agree with your premise.

You can never have too many corners.

I prefer the idea of a bigger nickel corner who can bump outside if needed, due to injury or someone leaving in FA. Adds so much flexibility....also helps in the run game.

Yea, I don't know the exact stat, but from eye-balling it I think Miami played a 3-3-5 for the majority of the snaps last season.

Having 3 good corners will be essential moving forward.

Bill Parcells has been talking for years now about teams going with 3 CB's and 1 S as their starting secondary.

The prototypical SS is going extinct.

Or he is playing LB on passing down.

I am pumped that the current regime values the CB position as much as they do.

QB's are too pinpoint accurate now a days.

I'll never complain about drafting a corner.
The rest of the league understands this is a passing league. But I think Flores is ahead of the game in adjusted to how to defend these air raids.

And as much as we wanted and need a safety, elite CB play is the building block.

You can find a legit nickel corner in Round 5.

You can find a legit "any position" in round 5, but the likelihood of that happening is very slim. Noah I. is going to play 80% of the snaps, that is worth a 1st round value. Kid was a hell of a player for Auburn, good coverage skills, nice hips, and is a strong tackler. All things you want for the position.

Back
Top Bottom