Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury

You can find a legit nickel corner in Round 5.
That's just the name we give to the inside corner. That player has every opportunity to play 70+ percent of the snaps, and is no less important when he's on the field than any other.

If he was only a nickel corner because he couldn't play on the outside, I'd agree with you.

But do you really want a 5th rounder covering Cooper Kupp or Julian Edelman?

The modern NFL is a passing league and there really isn’t a “nickel corner” position anymore as 3 CBs are on the field ~80% of defensive snaps. When you go against a team like KC you have to cover Hill, Watkins and Hardman ~80% of snaps. When they rotate Hill in the slot, which they do frequently, you really can’t get away with some scrub on the field. Igbinoghene was a solid pick. Especially when you accept the fact that Howard will miss time and he will be on the boundary starting at some point.

I don't think it was the drafting of a nickel CB that people had an issue with, I think mostly it's having the 2 highest paid CB's and the highest paid nickel in McCain. That's a lot of money tied up to one unit.
I'm not worried that we have the highest paid CB duo, or that we overpaid Mccain. We barely have any money on the books and we'll have the most cap space by far this offseason. We can replicate our spending spree of this past free agency and then some.

Mccain is a free safety if he plays. His contract, was an overpay and a mistake, but should not impact any moves we make.

Maybe I’m wrong here but is he just a nickel corner. I read hes very good in press. Isn’t that well suited for outside?

There was a great article written towards the end of the season explaining how Brian Flores values secondary more than anything else on the field. I can't find the link but it was very informative and detailed and went deep into press man coverage and the game of football evolving into a pass happy league. I was not surprised at all when I saw us take a corner at the end of round one.

nickel and dime are huge. I am just afraid that in 2 years all of the sudden teams are going to run heavy offenses.
I don't know how these things happen but we always seem to be behind the curve

To me it seem that flores want 4cb that can cover wr.. on his defense

He is wayyyyyyy more than a "nickel" CB. If you project on potential I'd have no problem ranking him as the 3rd best CB in this draft. I have no problem with the money we have tied up on DB's.

I think we will spend less on DE's and LB'ers as we want a different type of player. We want DE's that can set the edge and stop the run. We will have a "sack by committee" approach. Our LBers will be tweeners that can blitz some, drop into coverage some, and stop the run. Joshua Uche is the type I'm talking about.

Time will tell how this draft was. All I can say is the Pats never seem to draft well but they always win.

Back
Top Bottom