Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Myth: Drafting a Nickel Corner is a Luxury

Correct it's a myth. In fact is corner even the correct word anymore?We are a man based scheme, so maybe we gave specific coverage players covering specific receivers. E.g. X takes Watkins wherever he goes, Jones takes Hill & Noah takes Hardeman with rotation for The safeties to double the most problematic.

...it's a fallacy (NOT a myth!) because we have DBs NOT

defined rooted in stone tablet "positions!"

Stinkin' thinkin' gets you every time!

I just know having a strong secondary is a Patriots thing. Just following the plan. I thought our coaches got good play at times from the jags we had out there last year. I mean once Howard went down it was all Jags and even many of them for hurt too. By the end of the season guys we picked up on Wednesday for playing significant snaps on Sunday. Let’s see what we can do with talent.

I don't think it was the drafting of a nickel CB that people had an issue with, I think mostly it's having the 2 highest paid CB's and the highest paid nickel in McCain. That's a lot of money tied up to one unit.

Can’t blame the new regime for McCain being highly paid. We should commend them for knowing he’s not good enough and getting somebody else.

I don't think it was the drafting of a nickel CB that people had an issue with, I think mostly it's having the 2 highest paid CB's and the highest paid nickel in McCain. That's a lot of money tied up to one unit.
tenor.gif

So we’re mad we drafted a new nickel CB because Mike Tannenbaum and Adam Gase decided to overpay McCain and Flores is smart enough to know he’s not good enough??? Strange!!
Is this what it's like to be a Dolphin fan?

Somebody has an opinion different than yours and we're "mad". What happened to having a disagreement on a message board?

I don't like the pick...you obviously love the pick.

Good.

For.

You.

Bobby McCain was one of the best slot CB's in the league and was moved to the boundary. We drafted him. You don't let quality players you draft walk out the door. Yes, he is a quality player...at the slot particulary, it may hurt your feelings but he was. That said, I don't like slot in the 1st round. I also don't like the smell of gasoline. Does that make me wrong about not wanting to have my windows down at the pump?

Is this what it's like to be a Dolphin fan?

Somebody has an opinion different than yours and we're "mad". What happened to having a disagreement on a message board?

I don't like the pick...you obviously love the pick.

Good.

For.

You.

Bobby McCain was one of the best slot CB's in the league and was moved to the boundary. We drafted him. You don't let quality players you draft walk out the door. Yes, he is a quality player...at the slot particulary, it may hurt your feelings but he was. That said, I don't like slot in the 1st round. I also don't like the smell of gasoline. Does that make me wrong about not wanting to have my windows down at the pump?

You guys assume too much right after the draft imo, I would say Igbo may be moved to Free Safety for all we know allowing Mccain to shift back to Nickel Cornerback.. Igbo is raw at this point so teaching him a new position seems possible , he is a good in Man Coverage and a strong tackler which Mccain is not. One aspect I notice about Flores secondary is he likes people who can fill in at multiple positions on defense heck even our Strong Safety Rowe can play CB if needed.

On the final day of minicamp (2016), Howard suffered a knee injury and was placed on the physically unable to perform list after it was discovered he would require surgery.
On October 6, 2016, Howard suffered another knee injury during practice. The meniscus injury required surgery and he missed the next nine games.
In Week 13 of the 2018 season, Howard injured his knee after intercepting Bills' quarterback Josh Allen for the second time that afternoon. He went on to miss the final four games of the regular season.
(2019) Howard was forced to miss the next three games due to a knee injury.
He made his return in week 8 against the Pittsburgh Steelers. In the game, Howard recorded an interception off a pass from Mason Rudolph that was intended for JuJu Smith-Schuster before reinjuring his knee.
Could also have something to do with this.

Yes. When we took Fletcher we had Madison and Surtain and you didn’t need a 3rd corner. Plus the guy sucked.
That was a different era. Just from 2017 to 2018 the percent teams played nickel defense jumped from 52% to 61%. And dime was run 13% of the time in 2018. I can't find the numbers for last year, but I bet they're higher.

But this is clearly a new trend. In the early 2000's you did not have teams averaging 3 or more corners on the field for around 75% of all plays.

Look at how much differently we value RB's than we did 15-20 years ago. There were no RB's taken in the top 30, which would have never happened in 2000. The league has changed since Madison, Surtain, and Fletcher.

The base defense is now nickel. Live in the past and the world will pass you by.

Last edited:
You can find a legit nickel corner in Round 5.
I love comments like these. Obviously you can. Good players even go undrafted. But as another poster said, it's much less likely that you'll find one here. There's some reason that every GM in the draft passes on the player repeatedly. I guess some people on here feel they know more than professional GMs

Maybe I’m wrong here but is he just a nickel corner. I read hes very good in press. Isn’t that well suited for outside?
He's not JUST a nickel corner. That is likely what his position will be listed as, but I expect they plan on using him all over the field. Howard and Jones each sit for around 20% of snaps. The opportunity is there.

We will hopefully have 3 great CB's, and where they line up will be based on what's best for the team.

No one would be thinking twice if we tried to build a WR core with 3 stars. But for some reason, the guys covering them aren't viewed the same.

You guys assume too much right after the draft imo, I would say Igbo may be moved to Free Safety for all we know allowing Mccain to shift back to Nickel Cornerback.. Igbo is raw at this point so teaching him a new position seems possible , he is a good in Man Coverage and a strong tackler which Mccain is not. One aspect I notice about Flores secondary is he likes people who can fill in at multiple positions on defense heck even our Strong Safety Rowe can play CB if needed.
I can accept this answer much better than we needed another CB...blah, blag, blah.

Back
Top Bottom