NBA Introduces New Dress Code for Players | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NBA Introduces New Dress Code for Players

Nappy Roots said:
my issue is that people think that baggy clothes is "thug life"....its not thug life, its not ghetto, its not ganster or gansta, its just a style. its a style of a **** load of youth in america...thats all it is, a style...

Stern thinks like that, he thinks he needs to change the way they dress cause its thug life, its ghetto, its ganster or gansta....but its not...him thinkin that way is steriotyping.

It is THUG LIFE! It's that same line of thinking in which some people were defending Ron Artest running into the stands and beating up a fan because he threw a cup of ice. Saying he was "disrespected". As a multi-millionare NBA player, who the F' cares if some drunkin fan who you don't know, have never seen, and will never see again, "disrespected" you?! But the "THUG LIFE" in Artest came out and he went after the fan.

A dress code can't take the "THUG" out of the person. But at least it might dress it up a little and be a visual change and send out somewhat of a positive vibe.

And if all of the players are upset, why did they let their Union agree to this? Maybe if they stopped making bad rap albums, appearing in court over child support, and other such nonsense, they would actually have known what is going on with their own job! And they could have nipped this in the bud.

Nappy Roots said:
my issue is that people think that baggy clothes is "thug life"....its not thug life, its not ghetto, its not ganster or gansta, its just a style. its a style of a **** load of youth in america...thats all it is, a style...

Stern thinks like that, he thinks he needs to change the way they dress cause its thug life, its ghetto, its ganster or gansta....but its not...him thinkin that way is steriotyping.

Stern is trying to sell a product which has been in decline ever since he lost the single greatest marketable player in sports history. Hes just trying to put forth a cleaner, more respectable image, like the NFL has done. Personally I dont think it will work, but you cant fault the man for trying. I really doubt he cares what is gansta...if it sells 1 more jersey, hes happy.

Ferretsquig said:
Stern is trying to sell a product which has been in decline ever since he lost the single greatest marketable player in sports history. Hes just trying to put forth a cleaner, more respectable image, like the NFL has done.

Not suprisingly, Jordan always wore a suit. He understood the importance of how he presented himself and how it affected his image.

IMO it's silly for the players to make an issue of this. The rest of us understand that we have to dress to impress in the workplace. And we do it for a fraction of the pay.

Hell, it's not like these guys have to put in an 8-10 hour day in this attire. No, only on the way to/from a game. Or at a PC. And it's not even that strict. They get to wear khakis, nice jeans, sweaters, short sleeves. Aside from that, they get to wear a tank-top and shorts for the majority of their work week.

So for a 2-4 hours a week, they have to follow a pretty minimal dress code.

OH THE HUMANITY!!

It's obvious that the NBA is doing this with white people in mind. They don't have to worry about the black audience because that's a given. They're going to watch regardless. It's their game. But they NBA's growth is headed backwards. So they gotta work at getting the white people back. This is one step.

Jason Richardson wants to keep wearing his gold chains, He's calling for the players' association to fight the new wardrobe rules announced this week that will go into effect when the season kicks off next month.

"They want to sway away from the hip-hop generation," Richardson said.

Richardson, who describes his style as "different" and says he won't be caught as a "copy cat," left the Oakland Arena wearing a camouflage zip-up sweatshirt, a long necklace with a diamond-encrusted triangle at the end, and a beige cap slightly tilted to one side.

"One thing to me that was kind of racist was you can't wear chains outside your clothing," he said. "I don't understand what that has to do with being business approachable. ... You wear a suit you still could be a crook.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051020/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_richardson_dress_code;_ylt=AiJv1JuAa_b5dFVnL0JNoja79LQF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

BAMAPHIN 22 said:
"One thing to me that was kind of racist was you can't wear chains outside your clothing," he said. "I don't understand what that has to do with being business approachable.

I'll bet there's a great deal of things he doesn't understand.

BAMAPHIN 22 said:
Jason Richardson wants to keep wearing his gold chains, He's calling for the players' association to fight the new wardrobe rules announced this week that will go into effect when the season kicks off next month.

"They want to sway away from the hip-hop generation," Richardson said.

Richardson, who describes his style as "different" and says he won't be caught as a "copy cat," left the Oakland Arena wearing a camouflage zip-up sweatshirt, a long necklace with a diamond-encrusted triangle at the end, and a beige cap slightly tilted to one side.

"One thing to me that was kind of racist was you can't wear chains outside your clothing," he said. "I don't understand what that has to do with being business approachable. ... You wear a suit you still could be a crook.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051020/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_richardson_dress_code;_ylt=AiJv1JuAa_b5dFVnL0JNoja79LQF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

He is upset with the wrong people. Don't be upset with the league. Talk to your UNION who agreed to this!

The dress code is simply a modest, symbolic gesture to mainstream America. And it's only a small part of a series of more substantive initiativesâ€â€a boost in the minimum age for players and an increased commitment to public service through a new "NBA Cares" programâ€â€aimed at getting NBA players to grow up.Any hint of increased professionalism should bolster the league's image somewhat. But it doesn't address a growing conviction among longtime fans that, having watched NBA all-star aggregates get their butts kicked at the Olympics and world championships, the NBA no longer has game. Or at least not the same game that America once loved. Instead of teaching its players to don a sports jacket, the league might be better served by schooling them in once-upon-a-time fundamentals like the bounce pass or how to hit a 10-foot jump shot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9786786/site/newsweek/

Back
Top Bottom