*** NBA Playoffs *** | Page 71 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** NBA Playoffs ***

thats a good point about williams being a tweener...i can see that side of things with him for sure...interesting...

i'm not sure i see irving being on chris pauls level to be honest but i liked paul more than i did john wall when they both came out...still do...love me some chris paul

I don't know if Irving is going to be anywhere near that level. I probably like him more because I totally missed on Paul. I watched every ACC game that guy ever played and never thought he'd be what he is today. He looked like Iverson to me.....a total gunner. But the world has undergone a drastic change since then. Now we have score first PGs run amok, and a lot of them are actually on winning teams.

I like Williams a lot. I just don't think he can be your #1 star if you're going to win in the playoffs.

In Williams I see a physically imposing SF who can spread the D. He can also get out on the break, and while he may not be the athlete Gay is, he's a better player than Gay was coming out. Also, from what I've seen he has a nice post game. That's huge.

He looks like he'll struggle blowing by 3's on the perimeter, but he'll have the athleticism to D up. His post game and ability to knock down the outside shot - in addition to this ability in the open court - should make up for that. I can see him being a 18-21 ppg guy.

How many SFs in the NBA are put in a situation where they can utilize their post up game? Not everyone has Dirk as their PF.

And I see only one guy in this league that can play perimeter defense at 250 lbs, and he actually looked a lot thinner this year and that probably helped. Maybe he can drop down in the 230 range or maybe he really does have the foot speed to stick with people at that weight.....I just think both are unlikely scenarios.

You've got the same problems you have with all tweeners....you're either going to accept him as your star and build a roster around him or ask him to limit his game to accommodate others. Is Williams as a perimeter player a number 2 pick? I don't think so.

How many SFs in the NBA are put in a situation where they can utilize their post up game? Not everyone has Dirk as their PF.

And I see only one guy in this league that can play perimeter defense at 250 lbs, and he actually looked a lot thinner this year and that probably helped. Maybe he can drop down in the 230 range or maybe he really does have the foot speed to stick with people at that weight.....I just think both are unlikely scenarios.

You've got the same problems you have with all tweeners....you're either going to accept him as your star and build a roster around him or ask him to limit his game to accommodate others. Is Williams as a perimeter player a number 2 pick? I don't think so.

Doesn't look 250 to me. Looks 235. Also, assuming he goes to the T'Wolves, he'd have Kevin Love to stretch the D. Any decent coach would put him on the block if he had a mismatch - like he would with most SF's. I don't see him as a lock-down defender, but I think he has the athleticism to be a good defender - and a very good help defender with his bulk and leaping ability. ****, he's lighter than Ron Artest was when he was Defensive Player of the Year, and he's a better athlete. He should be a versatile offensive weapon and a good team defender. Especially if the T'Wolves draft him, he can't play PF. In that scenario you'd have an undersized C and PF. You need length to compete in the NBA.

The more I think about it, I don't see him as a tweener at all. I see him as a big SF. In regard to his inability to beat people off the dribble: it's not a requirement for the position - especially if you have a post game - but he looks capable to me. He and Love make a lot of sense as PF and SF. Just get them a true 5.

He weighed in at 248. I've seen a whole parade of undersized PFs being asked to play on the perimeter in the NBA.....for whatever reason everyone, including NBA GMs, seem to think if you can shoot the ball and have a certain body type you'll be able to play the position. I've seen far more undersized PFs succeed playing PF than SF.

He weighed in at 248. I've seen a whole parade of undersized PFs being asked to play on the perimeter in the NBA.....for whatever reason everyone, including NBA GMs, seem to think if you can shoot the ball and have a certain body type you'll be able to play the position. I've seen far more undersized PFs succeed playing PF than SF.

In today's NBA, you can't win with undersized PF's - not win big anyway, especially when that player is supposed to be one of your two or three best players. I hated the Boozer signing in Chicago from Day 1 for that very reason.

Call me crazy but I think Barkley and Oakley would do just fine in today's NBA. In fact I'd say Oakley played bigger than most 7 footers do today.

But I agree to a certain extent.....its very hard to win an undersized frontcourt, and Miami is a perfect example of that. Its certainly not impossible. Miami could (should) have pulled it off, Chicago did pretty well, so did the Hornets, Lakers when they had to go small....the Suns almost won a title.

Of course Williams has already come out and said he wants to play on the perimeter. When I heard that from Beasley's mouth I knew it was over in Miami. Beasley was far more talented than Williams coming out of college and even more was a ferocious rebounder. Then he decides hes a perimeter player, slims down, figures out he can't get by anyone on this level, and now spends his days jacking up jumpers. Its a very pretty shot, but unfortunately not the most efficient method of scoring.

Back
Top Bottom