NCAA eyes booster's claims Miami players took cash | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NCAA eyes booster's claims Miami players took cash

I think this **** will all blow over (most of it anyway) by the end of the weekend.

theutweets15-1.png

Another day, another piece of the story falling apart. Tyrone Moss now claims he never received any money from Shapiro. The same Tyrone Moss which Yahoo tried to use as evidence stating Moss admitted to taking gifts from Shapiro.

Former Hurricanes running back Tyrone Moss told Local 10 he did not accept a $1,000 payment from former booster Nevin Shapiro, who's at the center of an NCAA investigation into the Miami football program. Moss was one of dozens of Hurricanes players named by Shapiro in an investigation by Yahoo! Sports, which triggered a probe at the school.Shapiro alleged he provided a handful of extra benefits to Moss during his career with the Hurricanes, including a $1,000 cash payment on his first meeting with Moss and entertainment on Shapiro’s $1.6 million yacht.

Moss told Local 10 "I wanted to clear the air and let everyone know I’ve never received 1,000 dollars from Nevin Shapiro. Nor have I ever been on his boat or anything like that. Someone has taken my name and tried to destroy my name. I have always been loyal to Miami. Miami is a great place. Miami has been good to my family and good to me. I had some of my best years at the University of Miami. I just wanted to clear the air and make a statement that I have never taken any money or been on any boat like that. For something like this to happen is just crazy."Moss added, "I don’t care how it was quoted, I don’t care how it was written or I don’t care how it was said. But just to let everyone know, I have never been involved with Nevin. I have no ties to Nevin. I have never taken any money from him, and I have never been on that guy’s boat. I just wanted to clear the air, because a lot of people around here are saying this, saying that. What did you say, what did you talk about? I haven’t talked to anybody. I have not had direct contact with anybody. I’m tired of the rumors and things like that. The last few days have been crazy around here for me. I just wanted to clear the air and let everyone know I Iove Miami. I went to school there and had 4 great years there. I would never bash Miami in any type of way or talk negative about Miami. Basically, he (Shapiro)wants attention. That’s all."

http://www.local10.com/news/28932061/detail.html

Another day, another piece of the story falling apart. Tyrone Moss now claims he never received any money from Shapiro. The same Tyrone Moss which Yahoo tried to use as evidence stating Moss admitted to taking gifts from Shapiro.
Wow, looks like Miami is free and clear now.

Wow, looks like Miami is free and clear now.

Nobody's saying that. But hey, there's no evidence of anything. At least I can say I wasn't a gullible idiot who believed everything coming from one of the least credible sports sites out there, and a convicted con-man serving 20 years in prison.

Nobody's saying that. But hey, there's no evidence of anything. At least I can say I wasn't a gullible idiot who believed everything coming from one of the least credible sports sites out there, and a convicted con-man serving 20 years in prison.
Ask Reggie Bush how credible Yahoo is.

If you are gullible enough to believe that there wasn't serious wrongdoing here then I don't know what to tell you. Even if you can poke a few holes in this guys story (which I haven't seen yet) then 90% of what he said is still true.

Credit card statements and pictures fit my definition of "evidence," it isn't hard proof but the NCAA has shown before that they don't need proof.

If you are gullible enough to believe that there wasn't serious wrongdoing here then I don't know what to tell you. Even if you can poke a few holes in this guys story (which I haven't seen yet) then 90% of what he said is still true.

Credit card statements and pictures fit my definition of "evidence," it isn't hard proof but the NCAA has shown before that they don't need proof.

Beliefs don't matter. And no, credit card statements and pictures aren't evidence of anything. Please tell me, how the **** are credit card statements evidence of anything. They prove that Shapiro bought ****. Most of that **** he most likely bought for himself. You can't prove he bought anything for University of Miami players. And pictures... Yea, pictures of him with players. Talk about incriminating evidence there! Oh wait, that's not actually a violation of any sort.

I took Nigel Bradham and a few other players to lunch today. Here's my receipt. You dudes are ****ed now. I'm telling the NCAA.

062908receipt-1.jpg

Not saying this **** didn't happen because there's no question that it did. And I'm not saying that we won't get hit with something because we will although I don't think it will be NEAR as bad as a lot of you hope and hate for, but you can't show me a receipt from some restaurant and say, "I took these kids to dinner. Here's who I took, here's where we ate, here's what we ordered" and that's 100% fact. This dude is a known liar and a felon. Maybe, just maybe this dude has fabricated at least SOME of his story.

Disagree?

I took Nigel Bradham and a few other players to lunch today. Here's my receipt. You dudes are ****ed now. I'm telling the NCAA.

062908receipt-1.jpg

Not saying this **** didn't happen because there's no question that it did. And I'm not saying that we won't get hit with something because we will although I don't think it will be NEAR as bad as a lot of you hope and hate for, but you can't show me a receipt from some restaurant and say, "I took these kids to dinner. Here's who I took, here's where we ate, here's what we ordered" and that's 100% fact. This dude is a known liar and a felon. Maybe, just maybe this dude has fabricated at least SOME of his story.

Disagree?

I have my bank statement here showing off some nice things I bought this month. I'm going to turn it into the NCAA and say those gifts were for FSU players. Combine that with your receipt, we can really get the ball rolling. FSU is going down, with all of this rock solid evidence we have here...

062908receipt-1.jpg

Disagree?
If you had pictures and witness testimony to corroborate your story then that would be more of an apples to apples comparison.

If you had pictures and witness testimony to corroborate your story then that would be more of an apples to apples comparison.

Well, assuming that I'm a successful Ponzi schemer whom has defrauded investors to the tune of $930M, I'm sure I have enough cash lying around to get little Miss Andrea here on this receipt to tell a little white lie, right?

And I have photos of me and several UM players from last season out at bars, etc. I also hold booster status with the University. What have I done illegal exactly?

But if I "say" I did this and that...is it true?

Lucky Strikes owner speaks out about all the things supposedly taking place at his bowling alley.

By now, you've seen the picture or read about it from someone ripping the administration at the University of Miami.

Former booster Nevin Shapiro holding a bowling ball, standing next to former men's basketball coach Frank Haith and UM President Donna Shalala, who is looking down and smiling at what was a $50,000 check the convicted felon made with stolen Ponzi money at Lucky Strike Lanes in Miami Beach back in 2008.

Shapiro told Yahoo! the picture sums up "the whole problem [at UM] right there." Yahoo! Sports columnist Dan Wetzel described Shalala in the picture as having "the promise that thousands might one day turn to millions practically dancing above her head."

But Shapiro's old friend, Lucky Strike co-owner Brian D. Elias, said he wishes somebody from Yahoo! would have called him to ask him about that particular picture. "Because then maybe," Elias said. "the entire country would have a more accurate portrayal of Shalala other than somebody who is in bed with the devil."

Elias, a 49-year old Law School grad of UM, said he was there the night Shapiro presented UM with the $50,000 check because he co-hosted and helped plan the event.

"We were going to introduce Frank Haith and at some point Nevin said, 'Can I have the mic I'd like to say something,'" Elias said. "So he grabbed the mic and literally, spontaneously said 'I'm going to make a donation for what I think was $50,000.'

"We were all stunned. It's funny when you look at the picture, Donna is looking down at the check smiling because I think she was stunned. So naturally, you see the picture and we were all smiling. When you're trying to fundraise and get a check like that, it was a huge success. But I just think the way this picture has been talked about in articles, it demonizes her. And that couldn't be further than the truth."

Among Shapiro's many allegations against the school he supported for years as a booster is that he often treated UM players to food and entertainment at Lucky Strike including current players Ray-Ray Armstrong, Travis Benjamin, Dyron Dye, Sean Spence, Marcus Forston, Jojo Nicolas and Aldarius Johnson.

On at least one occasion according to the Yahoo! story, Shapiro alleges he rang up a bill of $2,114.18 on Sept. 13 to Sept. 15 during a "bowling for dollars" event where he gave players on winning teams $100 each.

Elias said while that may have happened under his nose, he doesn't remember seeing Shapiro at Lucky Strike often with UM players. But he does remember Shapiro ringing up similar tabs while he partied with his girlfriend and others.

"He would go there virtually every weekend to watch college and pro football," Elias said. "It got to a point where we would speak every time I saw him there. We became friends. He may not have been tall in stature. But he had a huge personality. Everybody liked him. People gravitated to him, I'm not talking about football players, I'm talking about people in general. He liked to brag about not just UM [players], but anybody, playing around with Dwyane Wade, Shaq, the Chief of Police. He never ever, ever, mentioned to me he had a tournament bowling for dollars at Lucky Strike in all the times I knew him.

"Now, occasionally I would see a few UM players there. I don't ever recall seeing all the guys he mentioned, usually it was two or three who came to watch football or bowl or whatever. Now, I never collected credit cards, but he never ever told me he paid for them. He never he told me he paid for this bowling for dollars. In seems to me in knowing him and the the way he would talk about all his contacts with famous people he would have said it. But he never mentioned that to me."

Elias said that to his knowledge nobody from Yahoo! contacted him nor anybody on his staff about the allegations made by Shapiro. And he says none of his friends who associated with Shapiro ever imagined he would be involved in such a way with UM players or much less a $930 million Ponzi scheme.

"I never went out with him. But I remember friends tell me all the time that they would go to Club Mansion, Cameo and Nevin was ordering bottles like crazy," Elias said. "That's just what he did for everybody. He was a really generous guy. Obviously if you believe what you read, it was with other people's money. But he was an incredibly generous guy.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...emonized-in-infamous-photo.html#ixzz1VjgoDqgd

So the owner of the bowling alley wants to lie to help out UM but he realizes that if he says "there were never players present" then he will get exposed so he is just downplaying what actually did occur.

Jesus, Miami is screwed.

Next.

Well, assuming that I'm a successful Ponzi schemer whom has defrauded investors to the tune of $930M, I'm sure I have enough cash lying around to get little Miss Andrea here on this receipt to tell a little white lie, right?

And I have photos of me and several UM players from last season out at bars, etc. I also hold booster status with the University. What have I done illegal exactly?

But if I "say" I did this and that...is it true?
This is a stretch and a half.

What about the pictures of Shapiro with players on his yacht? Woops.

And good luck keeping all of those strippers quiet!

Back
Top Bottom